Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I do agree. I think it's disgusting that people would choose an animal over a human being. But then at the same time, I think why is my life more important than an animals? A life is a life. But ultimately, for me, it's about saving people's lives before saving animals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    In what way is it a disgrace? It's not like the British public all gets together and conspires to deliberately give more to animal charities, and it's not exactly like to you can say all charities must be given equal funding. That'd defeat the point of charities being independent and able to fund raise themselves.

Some might consider Cancer research UK to be a lot more important than a charity that gives children from less well off countries the chance to live with a British family for a few weeks. One could equally argue over the merits of these two charities in order to provoke a pointless debate on which is more important and should be prioritised. But what it boils down to is the British public have the independence to give their money to whichever charities they please, I don't see how free will and independent thought can possibly be construed as a disgrace. There is too much financial regulation and interference from the government as it is, without some busy body telling people that charities must receive equal funding.
    I'm not saying charities should get equal funding, I'm saying human charities should get more than animal charities as I believe humans are more important than animals (and more of us die due to bad conditions/abuse).

To be honest; I couldn't care less about animals, at least in comparison to humans, but then again I don't care much for humans, so I guess I can't be arsed to argue for either side.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Balky_Bear)
    Humans can help themselves, animals can't. Plus, no one would need to donate to any animal charities if humans didn't abandon them, abuse them , destroy their habitats etc. So I would rather donate to an animal charity and I do give £7 a month to the rspca. That doesn't mean i won't give to a charity helping humans out, if for example there has been a natural disaster. I think op is pretty disgusting by thinking people who give money to animal charities are disgusting. These people have given away their own money to help out when they did not need to, i don't think that is in anyway disgusting. Why do you have such strong views against people being charitable? I wonder what he thinks of those that don't give any money to any charity!
    I find that to be very offensive to animals.

speciesist :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hugh-Jackman)
    I prefer to give to animal charities, I see Africa(which most charities are for) as one big mess caused by their idiotic leaders, who don't give a crap about their people. When the government gives them money to help their people they will just spend it on a war somewhere.

All i see african charities is the poorer people over here(relaitve to what the government can give or big businesses) giving to the rich to fund their agenda. I fail to care for Africa anymore because their governments clearly don't. Plus puppy dog eyes are so much sweeter.

I think my mom will give a fair whack of out inheritence to the dogs home or RSPCA.
    sux to be you :yeah:

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they are a disgrace but it does annoy me when there are people starving around the world and then there is a advert saying "oh no there are only 3000 tigers left!!" or that one about the donkeys lol. I must say though the donkey advert does make you feel sorry for them.

ReputationRep:
    You forget that humans are animals. To me, there is no difference in the moral worth of humans and non-human animals.

And, I know I may get shot down for this one, but there is a serious problem with human overpopulation in this world, so...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHABANA)
    I don't think they are a disgrace but it does annoy me when there are people starving around the world and then there is a advert saying "oh no there are only 3000 tigers left!!" or that one about the donkeys lol. I must say though the donkey advert does make you feel sorry for them.
    I'm more fussed about the tigers tbh. Its our greed and idiocy that has caused them to be wiped out. Give a **** about starving kids.

ReputationRep:

Funny i was gonna make a thread about this- on the whole i agree with OP. humans > animals

ReputationRep:
    I'd agree with you in saying that animal charities have a more extremist approach, the ***** who runs PETA for example (Ingrid).
    Though both charity types still pretty much say; 'THIS IS DYING, YOU HAVE THE MONEY TO STOP THEM FROM DYING, YOU DON'T WANT THIS THING TO DIE, DO YOU?? ARE YOU REALLY THAT HEARTLESS TO LET THIS THING DIE?!?!'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PAPAdawg)
    I find that to be very offensive to animals.

speciesist :rolleyes:
    How is that in any way offensive to animals? Also, my post said that i would give to human charities, which i have done in the past so how am i specieist? I will give to whatever charity i please, as can you. I don't understand why you feel the need to judge those that are being selfless and caring. Aren't there many other worse things in the world to think disgusting?

ReputationRep:
    How is that in any way offensive to animals? Also, my post said that i would give to human charities, which i have done in the past so how am i specieist? I will give to whatever charity i please, as can you. I don't understand why you feel the need to judge those that are being selfless and caring. Aren't there many other worse things in the world to think disgusting?
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Pet charities I don't care about. Wildlife conservation charities are more imortant.

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsgoquack)
    Pet charities I don't care about. Wildlife conservation charities are more imortant.
    They are very important i agree

ReputationRep:
    i see this thread has proved my point about the extremity of some animal lovers. look at a couple of the comments above on this page,m particularly triggers. i cant be the only one who finds those sentiments to be genuinely disgusting?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trigger)
    They are very important i agree
    i bet your rep tastes good :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i was being sarcastic

ReputationRep:
    i bet your rep tastes good :rolleyes:
    Well after being here for 5 years ive earnt every point.

ReputationRep:
    i see this thread has proved my point about the extremity of some animal lovers. look at a couple of the comments above on this page,m particularly triggers. i cant be the only one who finds those sentiments to be genuinely disgusting?
    I cannot beleive you would care so much about what i think. I don't have much sympathy for starving africans, sorry but thats the way i am. Id rather re-home a dog or save tigers or stop seal clubbing KTNXBYE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    I agree that charities for humans are more important and should take priority
    Why?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 10, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.