Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Question for Girls: Have you ever ended a relationship and regretted it? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Only for those who never got back with their ex.

Do you regret it? How did you approach him, how did you try to get back with him? Do you miss him? What was his reason for rejecting the chance to get back with you and do you accept it now?

ReputationRep:
    yes =( it was about 3 years ago i just got really angry and broke up with him
    and then after that we never spoke again =( and it took me about 2 years to get over him =(
    after breaking up a couple of months later i tried to call his numbers but it never went through so obviously he changed it and i thought id never speak to him again </3
    but one day randomly i found him on facebook (we didn't have any common friends and he's not from my area) so it was sort of weird and i added him, and we spoke for a bit and he asked for my number etc and we started chattin and i just got over him instantly =|
    lol

ReputationRep:
    No. I've never regretted it. I've always been the dumper and it was pretty horrible breaking up with my exes, I felt really bad. But I was always really relieved once it was over. I don't miss a single one either, why would I if I broke up with them? And no I never tried to get back with them.

Yes. I broke up with my boyfriend of 8 years and will regret it every day of my life. He now has someone else and doesn't want to know that I would give anything to have him back again.

ReputationRep:
    this question can apply to boys aswell

i regert breaking up with someone and i wish i never now but i cant fix it now and i feel bad

ReputationRep:
    No. I've only dumped someone when I knew that there was no way it was going to work anymore. As that realisation took some time, by the time the relationship was over there was nothing really to miss about him. The fact that I was overwhelmed by relief made me think it was definitely the right decision, and I knew getting back together would've resulted in a feeling of suffocation.

I have regretted not ending a relationship sooner though.

ReputationRep:
    Do you regret it? Not now, I don't think.

How did you approach him, how did you try to get back with him? I just went up to him and told him.

Do you miss him? Aspects of it, like I miss his little brother and his parents and stuff mostly though haha.

What was his reason for rejecting the chance to get back with you and do you accept it now? Erm, just that he didn't really want to I guess. Yeah I can see why you wouldn't tbh, I was a bit mean

ReputationRep:
    Never.

ReputationRep:
    I regretted it for a while, but i never tried to get back with him as i was scared of rejection. He treated me awfully and ive became completely disillusioned about him now. If I see him about i smile and say hi, i dont wnt to act as though im bothered. He's messed my head up so much im scared to get into another relationship right now, but I'm so much happier being without him than with him.

ReputationRep:
    No.

I wish I could say no. In most relationships I fight to the bitter end. When it's over, it's because there's just nothing left to try. My last break up though... I knew my current boyfriend, who was a very close friend - who I had been mad about before going out with this other guy - had feelings for me. I was determined not to break up with one to be with the other, so I tried to make it work for a long time. It was one of those relationships that would never work out long term - it was based on attraction between friends that had no substance in mutual interests or really understanding each other. By the time I broke up with him I knew I couldn't make it work... but if current boyfriend hadn't been on the sidelines I would have kept on torturing myself until I had no feelings left. Instead I was still a bit in love with him when we broke up and it hurt so much. It was unbearable, and it took me a long time to be sure I had made the right decision. I'm still with the friend-with-feelings more than 2 years later and finally friends with the ex. But the in between time when I was trying to reconcile being in love with not being over the last guy yet and wondering whether I could move on or whether I'd run back was.... horrible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Vicky~)
    No.
    This one is a heartbreaker.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zap Brannigan)
    This one is a heartbreaker.
    :dontknow: I have bad luck choosing partners.

ReputationRep:
    I broke up with my first boyfriend and felt great at the time 'cause I was getting so much crap from my friend (Who also liked him but when she told him he didn't feel the same - Also he asked me out and I had every right to say yes) but then when I realised my 'friend' was actually a complete and utter ***** I also realised I made a huge mistake breaking up with him because I felt she was holding me back.

We did talk for a long time after but since then, hes started ignoring me. Almost erased me from his life and tbh, it upsets me.

ReputationRep:
    I broke up with my 1st boyfriend...he was the most closest friend i had until my recent ex we suited each other sooo well & we were so alike. We'll speak about everything for hours & all that mushy crap. It scared me that i would fall for him...that i found any excuse to end the relationship. He told me a few home truths that took me over a year to deal with. I did regret it but i question whether i do now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Vicky~)
    :dontknow: I have bad luck choosing partners.
    I have bad luck finding partners, i.e. not finding any!

ReputationRep:
    Nope. I was really un-fussed when my last relationship ended. I was 17 and I think we were together for all the wrong reasons - he probably wanted it so he could lose his virginity and I had very low self esteem and wanted to prove to myself that I was a good enough person to have a boyfriend. We broke up after about 3 months after he said I was too "depressed". It was over msn. It really was quite pathetic and thinking back on it, it really didn't mean much. He'd told me he loved me when we were together and I'd said it back (I thought I meant it until after we'd broken up and I realised I wasn't even upset, ha) - but when we were speaking in the conversation in which we broke up, I said "I thought you said you loved me - does that not mean anything?" and he said "not really. It's just one of those things you say when you have a girlfriend, isn't it" - oh, the charming maturity there. :p:
    So yeah, I mean I don't regret it for an instant, we shouldn't have been together to begin with and obviously he wasn't a particularly lovely person.
    Now that I'm older though (and dare I say wiser) I put a lot more in to relationships and I have to really trust someone and feel a lot for them if I'm with them in the first place so I'm sure it'd be much more complicated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whats it to you?)
    I regretted it for a while, but i never tried to get back with him as i was scared of rejection. He treated me awfully and ive became completely disillusioned about him now. If I see him about i smile and say hi, i dont wnt to act as though im bothered. He's messed my head up so much im scared to get into another relationship right now, but I'm so much happier being without him than with him.
    Thats so sad :-(
    PM me if u wanna talk about it. One day you will feel good again :-)

YES.. broke up 8 month ago, and regret it every second of my life. Even though i had no choice but to break up.
    Well we cut off contcat, but when i did get back in contact, he just gave me the small talk ( hi/ bye).. i guess his reasons were that he didnt want to feel hurt, and thought its best to move on.
    Being in contact made me feel bad and hurt, its like hes in front of me, and i want him so bad but cant have him. i dont know if i miss him, or miss being loved the right way. We had soo much in common. Ever since the break up, ive been so depressed, i just want to cry all the time, although id never admit that to him.. I hope God is treating him well, and that he finds someone who loves him better than i ever could.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 10, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.