Turn on thread page Beta

Obsessive Playing - The Opinion of Gamers? watch

(Original post by cpj1987)
    If I were to mention it, what would I say? A simple 'I think you're playing too much, it's affecting your life' or something more tactful?
    A couple of my friends including myself spend a lot of time on games. I'd not reccomend blatently criticising him playing on it too much, as it would seem a negative input from you, forcing him to play more to escape being what he might see as a hostile real life situation.

Sometimes the best thing to do is to do activities he enjoys in real life (like a bbq as you said), because they will provide enough motivation for him (when enjoying himself), will hopefully make him depend on it less as a sole source of entertainment thus using it less & also allow him to manage household tasks as well as playing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaccyG)
    How recently did you buy him it? Getting a new thing can you make you play it/use it too much. After a couple of weeks it might die down a bit.
    He's had the XBox for about two months, and the game for about 1.

ReputationRep:
    Just be glad it's not World of Warcraft. Literally, people have died because they've played that game too much.

He'll get bored eventually. I often go through gaming phases, I'm on the back end of a GRiD phase myself. Eventually you just calm down and lose interest (until something new comes along).

ReputationRep:
    This reminds me exactly of my younger brother! I got him into call of duty about 6months ago and now all he does is go to school and play COD the only way I can get any response outta him is to stop him from playin it if he doesn't do chores etc. Obviously thats not an option for you but I think you should have a good chat with him and tell him how its making you feel and try to come to some kind of balance between COD and normal life!

It will die down, you know COD4 has been out for two years now, and when it came out almost every gamer who had a 360 or PS3 was addicted to it. Your friend will eventually get bored of the game as he will soon realize that it's repetitive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    Thanks for the responses, everyone. jacketpotato; he's not in a clan, keeps saying what rubbish they are :p:; and yes, nordam, I've already had him talk to me about the next game and how excited he is to buy it.
    To Zedd and darkos87, it sounds like the two of you might have misintepreted the severity of the situation. It's definitely not as bad as the two of you seem to have thought, more little things that I'm noticing that I'll be keeping an eye on.
    my motto, borrowed from my GP, is 'HOPE FOR THE BEST, PREPARE FOR THE WORST' :yes:

ReputationRep:
    buy a 360 from ebay with the red light, swap it for his, at least until he gets back into his day - to - day activities and out of debt..

Edit: I was addicted to Everquest and WoW and it ruined my school and college years until my computer broke down... I now have a stable career, money, girlfriend... I still play wow, but now only in the afternoons and it doesn't ruin my life.

ReputationRep:
    He's not addicted until he stops going to work because of it. He's stopping at 10pm, that's casual.

Just sounds pretty standard to me. Me and my friends have all had/have gaming addictions and that is nothing to us. 10 hours a day is normal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by girlplurality)
    This. I can't play Guild Wars anymore, because I spent all my summer holiday playing it. I had to go cold turkey. But one day he should realise his problem and stop. Hopefully.
    I thought good-looking girl gamers were a myth... :puppyeyes:

ReputationRep:
    Also, Op, his addition may last for a looooong time. I was addicted to Gears or War for a long time, sometimes playing for 12+ hours a day, and it is very hard to stop as you have no self-awareness that you are addicted. There is a timing setting on xbox, I'm not sure but you may be able to set it to switch off every night at a certain time.

ReputationRep:
    It worked! I made it clear I was irritated the other day, but didn't mention why. Today, we've arrived home and COD hasn't gone on. I didn't say anything, but he later said of his own accord 'I've decided to take a few days off COD now; I need to earn money'. Result.

ReputationRep:
    Result he came on TSR and saw a thread about him and freaked out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChunkymunkyDJC)
    I thought good-looking girl gamers were a myth... :puppyeyes:
    You've just been looking in the wrong places! :yes:

ReputationRep:
    How long has he had it? When I discovered COD4 multiplayer I spent all my spare time on it but it died down after a few weeks.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.