Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have been taking lessons with a guy from my area he is working as an independent, I have done quite well with him.

My cousin is with the AA and I am worried he may be getting better quality lessons. I pretty much like the Ford Focus that AA use. They are not that expensive around £20 for a 40 block (£800). I am paying £18 for my instructor at the moment.

What is a quality driving school? Any experience or even contact details. I also heard that driving instructors are on a points system.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    well To be honest. Your driving experience is based on the instructor. I could recommend any school but they will have good and bad instructors.
    When it came to me learning to drive I chose my instructor based on the reviews from other pupils. The best thing about schools is that they often have good review systems unlike independant instructors who you choose base on price. My recommendation is that becaus you already have an instructor who is teaching you well, i would keep him. This way he can get to know your driving style and when it comes to you preparing for your test he will see your errors more easily than someone who you have driven with for a short period of time.

Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    go private. the thing with the big companies is that they make you do more lessons, and because their lesson price is higher, they just rape your money. All they want is your money. I have heard that private is cheaper and generally they actually want to teach you

ReputationRep:
    My uncle and mother both own independent driving schools and both always said that the bigger companies were more likely to have trainee instructors than the small ones. They have 30 and 25 years experience and really high pass rates so i'd say you'd be better looking at how experienced your instructor is. I passed first time learning with my uncle

ReputationRep:
    The fact that AA want to do a block of 40 shows just how awful they are that they reckon students need a lot of lessons and will milk them for as much money as they can. I'd avoid purely for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yogity)
    My uncle and mother both own independent driving schools and both always said that the bigger companies were more likely to have trainee instructors than the small ones. They have 30 and 25 years experience and really high pass rates so i'd say you'd be better looking at how experienced your instructor is. I passed first time learning with my uncle
    Experience isnt everthing some instructors are just excellent from the word go. Mine had 1 year experience and i passed 1st time with him too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockyone2)
    Experience isnt everthing some instructors are just excellent from the word go. Mine had 1 year experience and i passed 1st time with him too
    Just because you passed first time with a new instructor doesn't mean everybody will. Over time, instructors will refine their teaching styles, just as drivers will refine their driving skills.

ReputationRep:
    i wouldnt go with that AA one, £20 is generally a good price but not 40 lessons :O
    its easily possible in under 30 and even my friends who took alot of lessons never reached the 40s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockyone2)
    yea I know there are some excellent instructors out there from the beginning but it's probably a safer bet to pick an experienced one

ReputationRep:
    Get a local one :yy:

ReputationRep:
    I would stick with the instructor you are with. He/she sounds like a good instructor and will know your strong and weak points with driving etc.
    With driving schools, especially the bigger ones like AA and BSM, there will be good and bad instructors. Also, most of the time they try to get you to have as many lessons as you can, just to get the money. Their lessons are usually more expencive too.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Emma. Driving schools are overpriced and are very money concious. Best thing to do is get recomendations of friends or people you know, thants what i did. Also instructors have a grade
    grade 4 is competent
    grade 5 is good
    grade 6 is a very high standard.

Indipendant instructors with a good grade with give tou exellent teaching without the expensive money con.

ReputationRep:
    How easy is it to find independant instructors?

Sorry for hijacking the thread

ReputationRep:
    BSM, in blocks of 10 works out to be £18.50 per lesson, which isn't bad.

AA is renowned to be "slow" at teaching and thus want you to have more lessons with them.

ReputationRep:
    Its still not clear cut but I'l figure something out thanks for the feedback.

ReputationRep:
    AA claim they only use ADIs , which may well be true but it doesn't mean that they ADIs are actually any good, vs... the independents who are grade 6s and strive to maintain that for business reasons

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shaun12345)
    i wouldnt go with that AA one, £20 is generally a good price but not 40 lessons :O
    its easily possible in under 30 and even my friends who took alot of lessons never reached the 40s
    Depends on the learner. Some need more than others. There can be dodgy instructors who milk it too, but not as many as there are hopeless learners.

(Original post by zippyRN)
    AA claim they only use ADIs , which may well be true but it doesn't mean that they ADIs are actually any good, vs... the independents who are grade 6s and strive to maintain that for business reasons
    Don't believe for a minute that all independents are grade 6s. A grade 6 instructor is hard to find and I know a lot of rubbish instructors who have been in the job for decades and still stagnate at grade 4. They may tell you they're any grade they choose so you'll only really know if you see their genuine check test form.

@ OP: There really isn't a clear cut answer to your question. You can compare your instructor with your cousin's and look at grades and pass rates to your heart's content. If either are low, consider a change and see. If both are high, then there's nothing to worry about which means it's whom you're comfortable with that counts. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you fail more than three times, start to ask questions.

ReputationRep:
    My intruction is very experience man if u r interesting let me know i cn give u his number?

ReputationRep:
    I recently passed my theory test (witch is surprise). And In process of finding a driving instructor.
    Is there anyone from Cambridge who could recommend and good instructor (preferably male).

There is just so many schools out there... don`t know what to choose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by onebro)
    I recently passed my theory test (witch is surprise). And In process of finding a driving instructor.
    Is there anyone from Cambridge who could recommend and good instructor (preferably male).

There is just so many schools out there... don`t know what to choose.
    i hve pm u kk

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.