Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I've accepted the offer of a flat in the gower building halls, are they a decent size? does anyone have any pictures of inside the room? thx!

ReputationRep:
    hi, you mean on Gower Street London? I have lived there all last year and I also have photos.

ReputationRep:
    no sorry Gower building halls in Southampton!

ReputationRep:
    The gower flats are pretty nice: they're right on campus, so mega close to everything, and I've heard they're a pretty decent size. Do the Southampton Accomodation pages not have any pictures?

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the reply na they dont seem to have any pictures of the Gower building for some reason which is kinda strange considering they have pictures of virtually all the other rooms!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rens11)
    Hi I've accepted the offer of a flat in the gower building halls, are they a decent size? does anyone have any pictures of inside the room? thx!
    There are two types of flat in the Gower Building - have you been offered a studio or a one-bed? (one-beds are generally for more than one person).

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the reply na they dont seem to have any pictures of the Gower building for some reason which is kinda strange considering they have pictures of virtually all the other rooms!
    I would imagine that's because of the small number of flats (plus they temd to be occupied pretty much all year round, unlike a lot of the other accomm).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swiftuk)
    There are two types of flat in the Gower Building - have you been offered a studio or a one-bed? (one-beds are generally for more than one person).
    I've been offered a one bed 1 with the mrs!

ReputationRep:
    I would imagine that's because of the small number of flats (plus they temd to be occupied pretty much all year round, unlike a lot of the other accomm).
    Yeah thats what I thought was hoping someone would have a couple of their own pictures that they could post but guess not! lol on a side note does anyone know the average electric costs on a one bed flat in Gower?

ReputationRep:
    there is accommodation in the Gower building? Wow, what can't that building do? :love:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah thats what I thought was hoping someone would have a couple of their own pictures that they could post but guess not! lol on a side note does anyone know the average electric costs on a one bed flat in Gower?
    I have no photos (highly unlikely to find anyone on here who has lived there/with photos, as it's only 21 flats). Just the two of you should be fine, harder in the space if you're a couple with 1-2 small kids. The important bit is thinking how you want to lay it out before you get all your stuff out.

Electric is a bit of a pain because you have to walk up to Glen for it (and for hoover bags). Costs vary (two different types of meter in the building, the one I had was an old one that really needed replacing, so might have been over charging...plus I do use a number of electric items).

On the plus side, I've never found any need to turn on the heating (which does eat electricity, but isn't really needed anyway).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnythemoose)
    there is accommodation in the Gower building? Wow, what can't that building do? :love:
    I know I had a drive up Glen Eyre road looking for the Gower Building halls thinking it was a different building to the one on Burgess Road with all the shops in it! didn't realise the halls are on the top floor!

ReputationRep:
    I have no photos (highly unlikely to find anyone on here who has lived there/with photos, as it's only 21 flats). Just the two of you should be fine, harder in the space if you're a couple with 1-2 small kids. The important bit is thinking how you want to lay it out before you get all your stuff out.

Electric is a bit of a pain because you have to walk up to Glen for it (and for hoover bags). Costs vary (two different types of meter in the building, the one I had was an old one that really needed replacing, so might have been over charging...plus I do use a number of electric items).

On the plus side, I've never found any need to turn on the heating (which does eat electricity, but isn't really needed anyway).

Thanks for all the info! I haven't got much crap to bring tbh just the usual essentials TV, ps3 etc. so should be alright! how much did the electric cost you per month then on the old meter? also is there a night bus? for the trips home from town on the weekend and if so does it cost anything?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the info! I haven't got much crap to bring tbh just the usual essentials TV, ps3 etc. so should be alright! how much did the electric cost you per month then on the old meter? also is there a night bus? for the trips home from town on the weekend and if so does it cost anything?
    From Gower you can see (and hear if you're on that side of the building - but maybe not if you have the windows shut, I find it gets too hot for that) Highfield Interchange. That is the turquoise blob in the middle of this map:

http://www.unilinkbus.co.uk/pdfs/networkmap.pdf

Unilink website suggests they'll be running night buses until 02:55 when term starts. Night buses cost, ordinary unilink ones you get (from memory) one unilink pass per Gower flat (so one person will have to buy one).

On the old meter I would say I spent £13.33 per month on electric.

ReputationRep:
    Unilink website suggests they'll be running night buses until 02:55 when term starts. Night buses cost, ordinary unilink ones you get (from memory) one unilink pass per Gower flat (so one person will have to buy one).

thanks again for all the info would we still only get one uni link bus pass if were both studying at uni? If so that seems a bit ****! lol

On the old meter I would say I spent £13.33 per month on electric.[/QUOTE]

thats alright then only a few quid a week!

ReputationRep:
    sorry to be a pain but do they actually have a proper oven in the Gower Building halls or is it just a microwave????

ReputationRep:
    Microwave and oven+grill+hob.

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know wen we'll receive our welcome pack with the contract in??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lissy_doll)
    does anyone know wen we'll receive our welcome pack with the contract in??
    If you applied online (or even if you didn't I think - may have changed), you should be able to find your contract to print out on the online accommodation website, under 'contracts'.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i'm sorry i'm not helping with your question, (although you are probably there now so doesn't matter anyway). i was just wondering how early you applied for the flat? I know there aren't many of them and they recommend you apply early. I am hoping to go to southampton in 2010 as a postgrad with my boyfriend and hoping to get a flat in halls. Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.