Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Xbox 360 Update 11th August watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else hear about the start of the Autmun updates happening on August 11th?

From Xbox.com:

Sit tight because the next evolution in connected entertainment is just around the corner. From Tuesday 11 August, more than 20 million Xbox LIVE members will receive the latest Xbox LIVE update; your world of entertainment at your fingertips.

This far-reaching update changes how we receive and share all our entertainment via Xbox LIVE. Whatever your entertainment needs, Xbox LIVE will provide: partying, playing games, watching films, or kidding around with cool Avatar clothes.

Yes, if you’re just out there looking for the latest fashions to liven up your Avatar, check out the new Avatar Marketplace. Here an ever-expanding selection of stores offer premium outfits from famous fashion brands such as Adidas, Quiksilver, Roxy and tokidoki. Unique ‘Steampunk’ and ‘Recessionista’ clothing is racked up here too. There are also game-related togs based on the likes of “Halo 3”, “Fable II” and many more.

Special Avatar clothing and items can also be earned by playing your favourite games. You can also give them animated props to toy around with that include basketball, cheerleader pompoms and (the essential) mobile phone!

Here’s another essential: Games on Demand – games whenever you want them straight to your Xbox 360 at the push of a button. Games on Demand launches with a library of 20 titles that can be purchased using credit card or Microsoft Points. New titles will be added weekly, but for starters here’s an eyeful of the prizes at launch:

Assassin's Creed (Ubisoft)

Burnout Paradise (EA)

Call of Duty 2 (Activision)

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (2K Games/Bethesda Softworks)

Fight Night Round 3 (EA)

Kameo: Elements of Power (Microsoft Game Studios)

LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga (LucasArts)

Mass Effect (Microsoft Game Studios)

Meet The Robinsons (Disney)

MX vs. ATV Untamed (THQ)

Need for Speed Carbon (EA)

Need for Speed: Most Wanted (EA)

Perfect Dark Zero (Microsoft Game Studios)

Prey (2K Games)

Rockstar Games Presents Table Tennis (Rockstar Games)

TEST DRIVE: UNLIMITED (Atari)

Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Vegas (Ubisoft)

Tomb Raider Legend (Eidos)

Viva Piñata (Microsoft Game Studios)

Viva Piñata 2: Trouble in Paradise (Microsoft Game Studios)

With so much excitement to be had on Xbox LIVE, we’ve now introduced the freedom to arrange content anyway you wish; sorting your friends list by Gamertag, Status and so on. Every single piece of content available to you via Xbox LIVE Marketplace can now be rated using a five star system, making it easier to see what people like you are enjoying the most. Finally (for now) it has become much easier to view Achievements. Oh yeah, and Matchmaking support is also improved!

There’s so much more to announce this autumn by the way, not least instant 1080p streaming video with 5.1 audio from Zune, personalized digital radio stations from Last.fm, and the biggest forces in social networking: Facebook and Twitter.

Stay tuned to Xbox.com for all that is and will soon become on Xbox LIVE!

What are your thoughts? Gaming on demand? sounds like a great idea - though I wonder what the prices will be like, I still have an idea that shops will sell them cheaper. The faster interfaces and better matchmaking etc sounds great too, along with the 5 star system. Can't wait

ReputationRep:
    I'm really not that bothered.

ReputationRep:
    All the interesting stuff (Facebook, Last FM) still won't come till Christmas.

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking forward to awardeables and for the auto party reconnect. The other stuff is incidental.

Games on demand is way too expensive and I don't fancy paying to dress up my avatar (although I might make an exception in the case of a rubber chicken with a pulley in the middle of it.)

ReputationRep:
    Yes, weeks ago. My thoughts? It will have little effect on my actual gaming experience. Unless the games on demand is considerably cheaper than buying discs, that it warrants me buying a larger hard drive, then that is of no interest to me either. Automatic reconnect to party - something that should have been implemented from the start really, I see that as more a patch.

ReputationRep:
    how much is it for a bigger hard drive, and more importantly i guess how easy is it to transfer everything off the old one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Comrade_Jack)
    how much is it for a bigger hard drive, and more importantly i guess how easy is it to transfer everything off the old one?
    £87.99 for 120GB from Amazon (first result that popped up on Google, haven't got time to shop around). I think you would also need to get a memory card as well, to transfer data from old HDD, to card, to new HDD, since you can't connect 2 HDD. Or maybe system link 2 consoles with the HDDs, if that's possible. I'm not sure there's an easier way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobo06)
    £87.99 for 120GB from Amazon (first result that popped up on Google, haven't got time to shop around). I think you would also need to get a memory card as well, to transfer data from old HDD, to card, to new HDD, since you can't connect 2 HDD. Or maybe system link 2 consoles with the HDDs, if that's possible. I'm not sure there's an easier way.
    Ugh, overpriced as usual (just like their wireless dongle). For £65 I can get a 1 TB hardrive. That's nearly ten times more space, and for less?! I think there's a guide out there which shows you how to use a 3rd party HD with your 360 actually. Worth saving the money if that works for you.

ReputationRep:
    I Wouldnt Get Your Hopes Excited too Much, Theres Nothing Majorly Changing In The Update.
    I'm On the Preview Programme they run and only really the Games on Demand is Appealing atm.
    The Use of £ instead of MS points is better. They want £19.99 for CoD2 and the rest which can be found on disc at CeX for £5. Avatar Market place is over priced, 160 MS Points for a Football. and 80 MS Points for some Monkey Island Shorts. same pricing follows all around the avatar marketplace.

ReputationRep:
    The current games on the "games on demand" service are £20 if memory serves me correctly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G50)
    Ugh, overpriced as usual (just like their wireless dongle). For £65 I can get a 1 TB hardrive. That's nearly ten times more space, and for less?! I think there's a guide out there which shows you how to use a 3rd party HD with your 360 actually. Worth saving the money if that works for you.
    Hmm I may look into that, I have an external HDD. My Xbox is so noisy, would be nice to not have to run games off the disc all the time. And I think it's out of warranty now so don't need to worry about voiding that, if it does.

ReputationRep:
    another way microsoft are making money out of us

ReputationRep:
    This will all be ridiculously overpriced. Particularly downloaded games and avatar (does anyone give a **** about these?) clothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobo06)
    Hmm I may look into that, I have an external HDD. My Xbox is so noisy, would be nice to not have to run games off the disc all the time. And I think it's out of warranty now so don't need to worry about voiding that, if it does.
    Ah yes, here it is, by the way (if anyone else is interested).

http://www.pcworld.com/article/15097...the_cheap.html

Microsoft expects you to pay close to $200 to upgrade your Xbox 360's hard drive from 20GB to 120GB. That's about $150 more than a 120GB SATA drive actually costs. But with this slightly tricky hack, you can save a bundle while boosting your game console's storage capacity to hold more music, video, and other media files.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G50)
    Ah yes, here it is, by the way (if anyone else is interested).

http://www.pcworld.com/article/15097...the_cheap.html
    Ah thanks for that. All I had found so far was about connecting external HDDs for media only. Hmm, is it possible with other drives though? I imagine firmware has only been written for a select few drives, if any more at all.

Edit: Here is the drive in the guide, £33.95 from Amazon, for anyone else interested:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/WD-Scorpio-W...9927943&sr=8-1

ReputationRep:
    Yep, saving over £50 sure is nice (get a new game instead), and I believe it's undetectable too, as it's the exact same model as the official one in the 360. Microsoft probably doesn't care enough to do anything about it anyway, as only a minority will be smart enough to find out about it, let alone go through with it, but you never know.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 10, 2009
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.