Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My gf loves me yet she wants to break up with me and I don't! Am I pathetic? Watch

Keep anon or delete please she is on here!

So the title explains it all...

I have been with my girlfriend for a year and a half now we are both 18, I love her to pieces and so does she!

We don't have the 'perfect' relationship but we are very happy together and I can't imagine myself being with someone else! I gave up many things for her and I mean this when i say it!!! Everything is fine between us apart from the fact that we have different beliefs and sometimes we have silly arguments but they never seemed to be a problem between us.

Recently she's changed although she says she hasn't. I feel our relationship is becoming more like a friendship and this upsets me alot but she is happy so I don't want to make her sad.

She called me yesterday and asked to meet me. We met up and she said she wants to break up and she wants us to be friends only!! I asked what happened and she said she loves me so much but she is not the right person for me and she doesn't deserve me and I deserve someone alot better. I thought she was joking because she does silly jokes like that sometimes but sadly she was serious and she meant everything she said. I said no way and I don't want to be her friend because I love her, she insisted 'we'd be better off alone' and I was literally begging her to change her mind then we both strated crying so we decided to leave.
    I hugged and kissed her and she left.

We haven't spoken since and I don't know what to do now, she is going away friday so I'm going to see her thursday and we are going to talk about it again.

What should I do now? Any opinions?

Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    well, seems like for her things have changed (if that is going awayto uni or whaever) and although she still has feelings for you she doesnt see a future for you together ...
    i now its hard, but try to move on ...

ReputationRep:
    You are not pathetic, you love the girl and don't want to lose her.
    But you have to let her go.

I don't think that you'll be able to change her mind, sorry. You're just going to have to accept the fact that she wants to break up. And yes, I do know this is easier said than done.

ReputationRep:
    If she just wants to be friends, then thats all to it. A relationship can't work unless both parties want to be a part of it. Just see what happens when you talk about it next time.

And also, no, you're not pathetic

ReputationRep:
    The way she told you that you deserve someone better implies that she may have cheated? Maybe?

I'm sorry though Breaking up is always hard, you're certainly not pathetic at all.

ReputationRep:
    Ive just been in a very similar situation except i was the one doing the breaking up.

Its possible to love someone but not want to be in a relationship with them.

I realised that all the stupid arguements were making us both miserable. I genuinely think she will be happier alone once she gets over the shock of the break up.

Maybe just try and be grateful that you got a chance to say goodbye on good terms. Hopefully you will get over her and move on quicker knowing that, even though she broke up with you, she still had alot of respect for you and still wants to be friends.

ReputationRep:
    She cares about you but doesn't love you. People need to be able to make the distinction here between "love" and just caring for someone.

ReputationRep:
    I think she's probably done you a favour by breaking up. Sure, you won't see it like this for a while but after some time has passed you might look at the relationship more subjectively and realise that you do, infact, deserve better.

Pretty much similar thing happened to me and, like you, I really wanted to stay with her but some time has passed and I think that it's probably better that we're not together anymore. I loved her a lot but looking back now we probably weren't right for each other.

ReputationRep:
    I was in the same situation. She says she loves me but doesn't want to go out... theres no real reason for it either.

Its upsetting but you'll just need to get on with your own life try and find things to do.

ReputationRep:
    That's just her way of saying she's not attracted to you anymore.

ReputationRep:
    sorry to say shes just letting you down gently.

...And why post anon when you give so much information tthat she cud probably tell its you

ReputationRep:
    i think shes cheated on you and is feeling guilty over it. - the whole i dont deserve you certainly indicates that plus her abrupt change in personality

ReputationRep:
    Maybe your bad in bed and she wants to let you down easy.
    Maybe she found someone that looks 'hotter' if you call it.
    Maybe she cheated.
    I feel she's the fault in this relationship.

For those who think shes cheated on me? NO! because she believes in no sex before marriage...

Thanks everyone..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie_3333)
    sorry to say shes just letting you down gently.

...And why post anon when you give so much information tthat she cud probably tell its you
    She might know his account name so could very easily find it - this way it's just harder.

Hoenstly OP, I feel like this is probably better. Anyway, you wouldn't want to keep being with her if she didn't want to - things would just get worse and you'd probably get much more depressed. In the long run, very much worth it (probably, we obviously have to assume here).

ReputationRep:
    I think she does love you but she's not in love with you anymore. She's trying to break up in a gentle way because she cares about you and has enjoyed her time with you. Things have obviously changed though, you've both matured and maybe you're going to uni? These changes make relationships that are fading hard.

ReputationRep:
    Youre both 18 so young. maybe its best to go off and be single for a while or go with other people. Maybe she is scared of how serious you two are becoming and she dont wants to settle down just yet. The bit about you deserving someone better COULD mean she has cheated and wants to end it because she feels guilty and dont want you to know what she did. If you do split up then it dont mean forever if you are friends and still in each others lifes and talk alot theres a good chance you will get back together. She might just want time on her own and to be able to enjoy her holiday or where ever she is going. If you fight her on the break up then you will losse her completly if she dont want to be together right now theres nothing you can do and you should just respect that. The more you try and stop the break up more she will want to end it and you will just push her away completly would you rather have her as a friend or nothing at all?

ReputationRep:
    Leave her. Get a better girl. This is a lost cause your just gona hurt yourself.

ReputationRep:
    well looks like she isn't the girl for you after all

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 9, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.