Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    A bit old to post this now but I remember when I did my AQA Biology 2 exam at least 3 or 4 questions were 90% identical to past year's ones (and there's only 2 past papers and 1 specimen paper). I was so happy when I saw them and because I did the same past papers at least twice I probably wrote EXACTLY what the marker wanted me to write so I was pretty pleased with that exam.

This also happened for OCR Economics but that was to be expected. All but maybe two questions were identical to the other year's but can't really blame them since you can't really change the question to ask about inflation and things like that.

Anyone else had a moment like this when they realised they pretty much did a question only a few days ago only to get it again?

ReputationRep:
    In WJEC Short Course RE, there were several 4 or 6 mark questions that were absolutely identical (word for word) to some questions that had been in the paper as recently as 2007, which was pretty awesome. And of course in Maths there were a few questions that'd been exactly the same (but obviously with different numbers) as ones I'd seen on past papers

ReputationRep:
    I did like... 2 past papers all together. XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    In WJEC Short Course RE, there were several 4 or 6 mark questions that were absolutely identical (word for word) to some questions that had been in the paper as recently as 2007, which was pretty awesome. And of course in Maths there were a few questions that'd been exactly the same (but obviously with different numbers) as ones I'd seen on past papers
    Oh yes, and obviously Maths but can't blame them really - no way they can ask you a question on Trigonometry without it being very similar to others but for different numbers used.

I suppose this really highlights why doing past papers is so helpful.

ReputationRep:
    It happens a fair bit, for music we had a question come up which coincidently was virtually identical to one we had to in practice the day before. It helps nerves a little knowing you've done something nearly identical before :yes:

ReputationRep:
    The only problem with a "similar" question coming up in a subject like history is that whilst the nerves do go, you end up writing an essay which doesn't exactly tackle the question and the specific key issues.

ReputationRep:
    My GCSE English exam had a question that was the same as an essay that the class had to do in class before. And not just do it by themselves, the teachers pretty much highlighted every point, and showed the class how to get top marks.

ReputationRep:
    Obv. maths. But english Q's are almost exactly the same, for paper 1, section 1 especially. Very useful as I did so many past papers.

ReputationRep:
    AQA A English Lit this year - the Lord of the Flies question was almost identical to a past paper question I'd done about 3 days before for practice in class, which our teacher had gone through thoroughly explaining the requisite points to get a high A*. Rather pleased about that, funnily enough

ReputationRep:
    Very common,after a few years there's only so many questions you can ask. For Geography our teacher made a chart of all the questions that had come up over the past 10 years or so,and what topics hadn't been done for a while. All the ones predicted to come up did,and similar to the last time they were on the paper! Silly recycling examiners thinking they can fool us

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.