Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Force diagram of weight hanging on two rods watch

ReputationRep:

I took a mock test where I was asked to show the directions of forces along the rods (I was given a multiple choice, and the each rod had one force along it in every choice), and much to my chagrin I failed, so much so that I begun to question the sanity of the questioner. Are there any force acting along the rods, or am I not a total failure?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Tension acts up both of the two rods. W must be balanced by the vertical components of the tensions in the rods.

ReputationRep:
    I cant see how force would act only on one of the rods, the vertical components of both the tension in the rods and the weight must all add up to zero, assuming its in equilibrium.

ReputationRep:
    I would have thought that the bottom rod would be in compression? The top rod is definitely in tension.

Forces "along the rods" - not sure what you mean. The rods have internal forces

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 9, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.