Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I go to Uni again in September and I worked for Greens Health and Fitness last year. It was an alright gym but no squat rack. Anyway I've changed gyms for location purposes and got rid of that job and anyway, this new gym hasn't got squat racks either and with no car these are the only two in the vicinity.

I mean it's Sheffield city centre, I'm not sure why there are no gyms that have a squat rack!? (anyone know different PLEASE tell me).

So just wondered what people think are the best substitutes? If it has a smith machine I could do them on there "/, or am I best just getting the olympic bar and trying to get 2 spotters? I'm goin to try find a proper gym but so far no joy so just trying to think of ways to get around it, or different exercises. But squatting and deadlifts are pretty much fundamentals

ReputationRep:
    You can front squat on a smiths better than you can back squat.

I believe you can also use DBs for a hack squat, but Iv never done one/know how useful it is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mipegg)
    You can front squat on a smiths better than you can back squat.
    That sounds like total crap. What are you basing that on?!

EDIT: Apologies, I think I read that wrong :awesome: Thought you were claiming front squats on a smith machine were better than back squats on a barbell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bishbashbosh)
    That sounds like total crap. What are you basing that on?!

EDIT: Apologies, I think I read that wrong :awesome: Thought you were claiming front squats on a smith machine were better than back squats on a barbell.

Ah, no problem. No, frontsquat<backsquat its just the smith pushes you way out of line if you backsquat, not so much if you front. Though ideally find a better gym. (Can you join one of the uni gyms?)

ReputationRep:
    Lunges, stepups, split squats, pistols, hack squats, deadlifts - take your pick.

ReputationRep:
    Squat with dumbbells? :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    There's always other things you can do. But in terms of quality there is no real substitute, the barbell back squat is going to be the best barbell exercise you can do really, but yeah there are others you can do, just not as optimal, but still good. Hacks, leg presses, fronts (clean first), zerchers,

ReputationRep:
    Ah, no problem. No, frontsquat<backsquat its just the smith pushes you way out of line if you backsquat, not so much if you front. Though ideally find a better gym. (Can you join one of the uni gyms?)
    I'm looking on the internet now, you'd think being a city it'd have its selection, but most places I find don't have them. Even our uni gym doesn't have a squat rack...

Sheffield don't do squats evidentally.

Cheers for the suggestions btw for the other exercises, will have to do them I'd imagine as after using a proper squat rack all summer, I'd hate to try doing it on the smith machine. Last year I did it all on the smith because I had no other option so since doing it the best way I'd hate going back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mattw89)
    I'm looking on the internet now, you'd think being a city it'd have its selection, but most places I find don't have them. Even our uni gym doesn't have a squat rack...

Sheffield don't do squats evidentally.

Cheers for the suggestions btw for the other exercises, will have to do them I'd imagine as after using a proper squat rack all summer, I'd hate to try doing it on the smith machine. Last year I did it all on the smith because I had no other option so since doing it the best way I'd hate going back.
    http://www.greensonline.co.uk/

Have one in sheffield, says they have a 'full free weights section' but i cant find anything about a rack.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.greensonline.co.uk/

Have one in sheffield, says they have a 'full free weights section' but i cant find anything about a rack.
    I work for them. Well I've gone away over summer and I'm not going to bother returning, but nah they don't!

They don't even have a proper bench press stand! They have a smith machine, a good range of dumbbells, lots of machines and loads of cardio stuff. One olympic bar.

ReputationRep:
    You can try something called the Steinborn lift:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qls96q4Phs4

Obviously be careful if you try this though.

Also, front squats are another option- you can power clean the barbell up to your chest and then do the squats from there.

ReputationRep:
    Power clean into a set of front squats. It's what i do at my gym which doesn't have a squat rack, allows me to still train quite heavy and makes a change from the back squats i do at my uni's gym when i get back.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I go to Uni again in September and I worked for Greens Health and Fitness last year. It was an alright gym but no squat rack. Anyway I've changed gyms for location purposes and got rid of that job and anyway, this new gym hasn't got squat racks either and with no car these are the only two in the vicinity.

I mean it's Sheffield city centre, I'm not sure why there are no gyms that have a squat rack!? (anyone know different PLEASE tell me).

So just wondered what people think are the best substitutes? If it has a smith machine I could do them on there "/, or am I best just getting the olympic bar and trying to get 2 spotters? I'm goin to try find a proper gym but so far no joy so just trying to think of ways to get around it, or different exercises. But squatting and deadlifts are pretty much fundamentals
    Email Sheffield Uni rugby team (or powerlifting club if they have one). They should know where you can find a gym with a rack.

ReputationRep:
    I posted a thread with these basic concerns (although I go with RawJoh1's idea - membership of a university gym is often quite cheap as well!) and there were a lots of helpful hints. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=987191

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Can't you just use Hallam City Campus gym?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    Can't you just use Hallam City Campus gym?
    Do you know if they have one at all? I only went for a few weeks there, can get rammed and free weights get busy. But that was over 2 years ago and was only doing cardio in the gym with a couple of machine weights so not sure if they have a squat rack, it wasn't the best gym so I'm not sure. If you know though then that definitely is an option.

ReputationRep:
    Do you know if they have one at all? I only went for a few weeks there, can get rammed and free weights get busy. But that was over 2 years ago and was only doing cardio in the gym with a couple of machine weights so not sure if they have a squat rack, it wasn't the best gym so I'm not sure. If you know though then that definitely is an option.
    I'm sure they do. Just ring and ask.

ReputationRep:
    The Sheffield Uni gym does have a squat rack, though dunno how far away form you that is, its right near the childrens hospital and the student membership is pretty cheap (about £160 in sep/oct).

ReputationRep:
    Well, if he can get to hallam he can get to the uni (4 minuets on the blue tram from the T station)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Marmaduke)
    The Sheffield Uni gym does have a squat rack, though dunno how far away form you that is, its right near the childrens hospital and the student membership is pretty cheap (about £160 in sep/oct).
    Yeh just looking at the site now for sheff uni and the picture on free weights section looks like it is quite modern and if it has a squat rack and bench press, olympic bar and bb/dbs then thats all i need. Some of the smaller city ones get so rammed I hate it. Can imagine it gets busy but i'll just go really early or somethin. Going to enquire about joining in sept, cheers mate

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 10, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.