Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamorgan)
    their mentality is that "if everyone can't have it then no-one should". Unfortunately, that comes very close to communism and is dangerous.
    Labour is a party of jealousy.
    completely agree with you. I see no problem in the class divide, specifially the upper class. If you work you ass off your whole life, why the hell can't you and your children benefit. What labour is suggesting, is infact as you say, very close to communism

ReputationRep:
    There is one possible solution- my brother is looking into divorcing his parents ( can't think og the propper word) ... he'll get far better funding living just off bursaries, than off the small help my parents can give....

-- thank goodness for gordon brown, and labours demise.. the sooner they're out , the better...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ojrules123)

-- thank goodness for gordon brown, and labours demise.. the sooner they're out , the better...
    I guess he is really helping the country by being so cr#p!

Seriously, though, I agree -what is wrong with working hard to be successful. We all came from the same place in the year dot thousands of years ago, some people have taken advantage, others have followed (I know that is very simplified but it's late and you get the drift).

In reality, yes, there are some problems in society -sex discrimination for example, can happen, as can racial discrimination, or discrimination due to disability. But class discriminiation?

I repeat the quote from another TSR post -there is a difference between equal opportunities and equal outcomes. I think it sums up the whole situation.

Grammar schools are the way to go, I would agree -or at least a modern day version of the grammar school, with perhaps a more balanced admittance system than a measley exam -our kids are over tested as it is. Maybe schools themselves could have a role through teacher assessment.

As for bursaries -don't get me started. One person in my uni, a great guy, got AAB at A level and came from a grammar school, he gets a bursary as it is, and yes, he does need that to live off, he also gets a bonus if he gets a 2:1 or above -the bonus is payable annually. I got three As -what do I get? Nothing.

I have a job over the summer because I can't afford university without it. What is he doing? Nothing. He says that he can afford university, what with the loan, grants and bursaries. I'm sorry, but i am at a disadvantage there.

I think that's unfair. I'm not alone in being in this camp.

Just noticed -you're also from Birmingham Ojrules!

ReputationRep:
    At least it's good to see that other people are in your same situation, despite the fact that that situation isnt a great one....

One thing people don't realise is that there is a very large lower-middle class sector of people. Who are hugely disadvantaged. We don't have the advantage that apparently comes with money, nor the government given advantages. In my opinion, the lower class is a far bigger class than is reported on television, the upper class is also far bigger than people perceive- simply because what they percieve upper class to be is wrong. Which leaves us "middle class people" sitting, not in the middle, in the lower middle...

ReputationRep:
    Here's what i think needs to be done to the education system:

Stong infant and junior schools.- These need to be able to test children, and distinguish between those gifted, and those not, while offering good education regardless of class

----
    Secondary schools:

Quality comprehensive schools, which are empowered more to remove and isolate persistent problem children. Thus offering very good education to a wide range of abilities.

State funded Grammar schools.-- A place where the best and most gifted students can benefit each other, and not be hampered by education which would otherwise (at comps) be geared towards students of lower ability.

Large apprentiship schemes/ non "academic" schools, training people in such skills as plumbing etc, not however wishy washy, useless courses.

More emphasis on quality skills, not neccersarily qualifications. -- The abolishment/discouragement of university courses which don't require a certain ammount of hours--- get people into work, not taking useless degrees..

----

---

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 13, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.