Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Just cancelled my cosmetic surgery op ... argh so confused, don't know what to do! Watch

Up until about 2/3 years ago I was completely against cosmetic surgery and thought it was only for vain, self-obsessed people. However I have also been unhappy with my nose for a long time and have often received comments on it. After years of planning and considering the risks I opted for cosmetic surgery. I booked in with one of the best surgeons in the country. Costing me a grand total of almost £8000.

Well, on Friday, I got cold feet and called to cancel the op. I'm such an idiot. :facepalm:

The reasons:
    1 - I posted my pic on a cosmetic surgery forum and most people said that it would only benefit me slightly. They were probably just being nice but it really made me re-evaluate my situation and wonder whether it's worth the risks and pain of surgery if it'll only improve my looks 'slightly'.
    2 - £8000 (about half savings and half student loan) is a LOT of money and can be spent on so many other things!
    3 - I just started dating a new guy who I really like and didn't know how to tell him.
    4 - the final straw - I was on the bus on my way back from my pre-op consultation and there was a disabled girl sitting opposite me about my age. I just started thinking 'wtf am I doing' and about how lucky I actually am.

But now I'm thinking I'm still going to be unhappy with my nose no matter what and will possibly regret this decision for the rest of my life. I am morally against cosmetic surgery, but am also very unhappy with the way I look. I feel I have to go against my morals in order to be happy.

Ultimately it's my decision, but I'd like to hear other people's opinions on the matter as I literally have no idea what to do.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Don't get it. But I don't have time to back that up, because I'm meant to be on a train. ****. Bye.

ReputationRep:
    your nose probably looks much better than my nose!

ReputationRep:
    Mine is kinda fecked too.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Personally I wouldn't go for it, OP, £8000 can be spent on so much better things.

But that's just me, if it would make you happy.

Not much else I can say, ultimately it is your decision, but I wish you the best of luck!

have you tried alternatives to surgery, such as counselling, image therapy, boosting your self esteem, the reasons you've given not to do it are so genuine and good reasons!

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I'm generally against cosmetic surgery, so I might be biased - you can ignore my opinion if you want! However, it's a big investment and even assuming that it went perfectly, there's still the risk that it won't make you any happier. The reasons you posted are good ones, but even if they weren't, it seems to me that it's such a big thing that if you're doubting it enough to have posted here about it, you shouldn't do it. If you change your mind later on and it really is what you want, you can always have it done then, but if it turns out not to be what you want, you'll never be able to undo it and get the money back.

Obviously that still leaves you feeling unhappy about your appearance, but the person above has suggested some good alternatives - if you've got low self-esteem, chances are that even if you had the surgery, you'd still be unhappy.

Anyway, whatever you decide, I hope you end up happy, and that things work out with the guy you're seeing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Up until about 2/3 years ago I was completely against cosmetic surgery and thought it was only for vain, self-obsessed people. However I have also been unhappy with my nose for a long time and have often received comments on it. After years of planning and considering the risks I opted for cosmetic surgery. I booked in with one of the best surgeons in the country. Costing me a grand total of almost £8000.

Well, on Friday, I got cold feet and called to cancel the op. I'm such an idiot. :facepalm:

The reasons:
    1 - I posted my pic on a cosmetic surgery forum and most people said that it would only benefit me slightly. They were probably just being nice but it really made me re-evaluate my situation and wonder whether it's worth the risks and pain of surgery if it'll only improve my looks 'slightly'.
    2 - £8000 (about half savings and half student loan) is a LOT of money and can be spent on so many other things!
    3 - I just started dating a new guy who I really like and didn't know how to tell him.
    4 - the final straw - I was on the bus on my way back from my pre-op consultation and there was a disabled girl sitting opposite me about my age. I just started thinking 'wtf am I doing' and about how lucky I actually am.

But now I'm thinking I'm still going to be unhappy with my nose no matter what and will possibly regret this decision for the rest of my life. I am morally against cosmetic surgery, but am also very unhappy with the way I look. I feel I have to go against my morals in order to be happy.

Ultimately it's my decision, but I'd like to hear other people's opinions on the matter as I literally have no idea what to do.
    Accept who you are and live with it. Don't fiddle with nature. If I had cosmetic surgery I just wouldn't feel like me anymore.

PS. who cares what anyone else thinks.

ReputationRep:
    Well you should go off whatever your consultant said rather than what some forum said. Did he say it would help a lot?

Tbh if surgery could cure the things I hate about myself I would go for it in a second, and expect any partner to understand.

Things like this can't ever be decided on based on a pros and cons list. You just have to do what really feels right.

ReputationRep:
    Send me the money or half of it for my boob job lol. Its a major decission to have a nose job you do need to be 100% sure esp with how long it takes to heal and i thik you walk round with black eyes and the fact they break the nose would put me off. if you onli 98% sure or something similar then wait and do more research. The fact you cancelled it dot make no diff if you ring them everyday you will get a late space appointment for the same month normally.

ReputationRep:
    "go off whatever your consultant said" - I would take what your consultant said with a pinch of salt... they just want your money. As you said, another cosmetic forum said it wouldn't make much difference.

If you just started dating this guy, obviously it's not that bad?

In any situation, if you are having doubts, why not take a month or so to cool off? Then if you still want it - go ahead.

ReputationRep:
    What the hell are you having done for it to cost you 8 grand?! Either you must be pulling out all the stops or your clinic's ripping you off big time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc101)
    What the hell are you having done for it to cost you 8 grand?! Either you must be pulling out all the stops or your clinic's ripping you off big time.
    Taking into account the cost of hiring anaesthetists, assistant staff, perhaps maybe a registrar to assist, all the drugs and perioperative care, £8000 seems about right.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't your boyfriend love you the way you are? I don't think he will want you to change your face, you will look like a different person :s if its only a slight change then why bother. and plus, your 8000 pounds could save many dying people if you use the money wisely and not waste it on slightly changing a single body part to feel better about the way you look... there are probably uglier people out there and what you said about disabled girl should have put you off completely. 8000 pounds!? what a waste of money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hippysnake)
    Taking into account the cost of hiring anaesthetists, assistant staff, perhaps maybe a registrar to assist, all the drugs and perioperative care, £8000 seems about right.
    Nope.

Nobody charges 8k for a rhino - you're looking at 5k at the very most.

You're being ripped off OP - if you do decide to go through with the surgery, definitely have it done somewhere else, as 8k is far in excess of what is normally charged for a rhinoplasty.

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion I don't think you should do it, mainly for the reasons already said: it's a lot of money to spend on something you are unsure about and afterwards you will probably find something else you are unhappy about.. It's a slippery slope.

Everyone has things they really don't like about themselves, but embrace it as a part of who you are.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do!

ReputationRep:
    It does sound like a lot of money. In my experience, most people who talk about needing cosmetic surgery are really attractive and just have a poor opinion of themselves. It's like girls who say they want boob jobs, yet have perfectly normal breasts. I really think cosmetic surgery should only be an option in extreme cases.

ReputationRep:
    Who NOSE what to do... sorry coulndt resist putting that bad boy in there!

at the end of the day, assess your situation and then think whether you will benefit or suffer more and then make decision based upon that. I personally would keep the money asnd do it when you are older and earning money in a secure job.

ReputationRep:
    well, if your unsure at the moment, why dont you wait for a few months or a year and see how u feel then? its not "now or never" you can always have the op later if your still unhappy!! a lot can change in a year... as you know cos u thought before cosmetic surgery was for vain people. u might change your mind again! You need to be 100% sure before you make a drastic decision like that hope everything works out.

ReputationRep:
    Change it if you don't like it. Why the feck is it against your morals...what's morally dubious about it? You dye your hair, you shave, you pluck your eyebrows... why is this any different? I'd change my nose if it bothered me; why spend your life hating something you can change.

If it makes you feel better/more conifident, then it's more than worth it. Over a lifetime, £8000 isn't that much. That's like an okay new car. It's not like you can buy a house with it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 26, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.