Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Just cancelled my cosmetic surgery op ... argh so confused, don't know what to do! Watch

ReputationRep:
    could you not do it yourself at home with a screwdriver and a hammer?

seriously, like others have said: if youre having doubts take a few months off to think about it first. £8k is alot of money for a student.

ReputationRep:
    My advice is dont get it. You mentioned meeeting a guy that you like, and if he likes you back, it shows that the nose is the least of your worries. You can be happy, just give yourself a chance and soon you'll realise its possible to put your worries about your looks behind you. Trust me, the end of last year i was REALLY self conscious and thought i had to change, and felt that everyone would notice 'x' about me. So then i was adamant to get an 'x' cosmetic treatment (dental). Howver, I cancelled it the day before a month ago, becasue i thought I dont need this. I have friends, if they dont care or notice the problem nobody is going to. Now I hardly think about it, and yes i am more content in myself. Therefore, dont get it, who knows, in a few years time youll accept it and move on.

ReputationRep:
    For all those people saying it's a waste of money...Is it really? It's not like she's going to throw it away after a couple of years, the op could give her more confidence, making her happier in the longrun!

Although I am probably bias, I had my nose done a couple of years ago and it was well worth it. The new guy you're dating shouldn't really be that much of a factor, if your serious about wanting it done you should do it for yourself and he can either like it or lump it. Although if you feel you can be content with your nose as it is then that's great, looking back I didn't need to get mine done as much as I thought at the time but I certainly don't regret it.

ReputationRep:
    Don't do it. Don't even consider it. :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kagutsuchi)
    Don't do it. Don't even consider it. :indiff:
    "Rep for you to try to keep your reputaion in the boundary where nobody will respect you."

Sorry didn't last

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Change it if you don't like it. Why the feck is it against your morals...what's morally dubious about it? You dye your hair, you shave, you pluck your eyebrows... why is this any different? I'd change my nose if it bothered me; why spend your life hating something you can change.
    This.
    Also, I hate how people have a go at nose/boob/whatever surgery but they think that other purely cosmetic procedures like burns scar removal and post-cancer breast reconstruction are OK. This op is very routine and low risk and if it will provide a boost in confidence or whatever it's worth it.

You only have one body, why should other people's moronic attitudes stop you from changing it.

The only bad thing is the price, which does seem a bit steep for a student, but then we haven't seen a picture; it might be a completely life-changing thing to do.

<I'm only slightly biased by wanting to be a plastic surgeon too>

ReputationRep:
    Here's the thing: You're dating a guy. He must be attracted to you. The problem lies solely with you and if other people just think you're being silly then you should learn to love yourself!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cup of Inspiration)
    have you tried alternatives to surgery, such as counselling, image therapy, boosting your self esteem, the reasons you've given not to do it are so genuine and good reasons!
    This
    If your that uncomfortable about how you look surgery probably wont help as much as you think, most people with low self esteem will always find something to disslike. Finding a way to be happy with how you look is a much better idea, especial if you're seeing someone who (i asume) likes the way you look now.

ReputationRep:
    Get one thats alot cheaper?

ReputationRep:
    If you're really this unsure, don't do it.

You can never truely say what nose you'll end up with, and you might end up hating the change more than the nose you have now. Learn to love it - flaws and inperfections are what make us human. If it's something you truely hate you might what to consider councelling/therapy of some kind to work out why and try and overcome it without resorting to surgery.

(Original post by ta2)

If you just started dating this guy, obviously it's not that bad.
    This comment is ridiculous. Even the ugliest people with the worst noses go on dates and have partners.

(Original post by Hippysnake)
    Taking into account the cost of hiring anaesthetists, assistant staff, perhaps maybe a registrar to assist, all the drugs and perioperative care, £8000 seems about right.
    (Original post by abc101)
    Nope.

Nobody charges 8k for a rhino - you're looking at 5k at the very most.

You're being ripped off OP - if you do decide to go through with the surgery, definitely have it done somewhere else, as 8k is far in excess of what is normally charged for a rhinoplasty.
    You are correct, a common price is 5K. The reason it was £8K was because I was having it done by one of the best in the country, these are his normal fees, I've spoken to many of his patients. Out of all the surgeons I consulted with he had the lowest revision rate and he's performed the most surgeries.

(Original post by Cup of Inspiration)
    have you tried alternatives to surgery, such as counselling, image therapy, boosting your self esteem
    I think there's a difference between having low self-esteem and being unhappy with one of your features. I am a confident, and overall happy person, I am just really unhappy about my nose.

(Original post by ta2)
    If you just started dating this guy, obviously it's not that bad?
    Having a boyfriend does not fit into the equation for me, I'm not doing it to attract the opposite sex.

(Original post by paddyman4)
    Well you should go off whatever your consultant said rather than what some forum said. Did he say it would help a lot?
    Most of the surgeons are very matter-of-fact and will not give you direct advice relating to appearance, they will just go on what you tell them you want. They are only after money at the end of the day.

Well tbh I'd argue that the problem is with you and how you see yourself. I used to have a similar problem with my breasts and my height. I used to hate how short I was and how small my breasts are and used to get majorly depressed about it. After some time and perspective though I'm fine. The point I'm making is though, that there's always something to worry about. When I got over my height issues I moved onto my breasts etc. I saw a documentary in which this girl had nose surgery and then wanted to get her chin done-it turned into a never-ending obsession.

A few years on I quite like my breasts and height. Sure sometimes I wish I was different but it doesn't get me down as much as it used to.

ReputationRep:
    You should do what will make you happy.

If your nose bothers you to the point where you actually booked the surgery - then you will never be happy with it. With yourself. You'll spend your life avoiding photographs and mirrors.

Life is short. Why live like that if you don't have to?

£8000 is not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things.

You've just got cold feet. It's a normal and natural reaction.

If your surgeon is one of the best, then you got nothing to worry about (You talking about BM, by any chance?). I think you should rebook.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc101)
    Nope.

Nobody charges 8k for a rhino - you're looking at 5k at the very most.

You're being ripped off OP - if you do decide to go through with the surgery, definitely have it done somewhere else, as 8k is far in excess of what is normally charged for a rhinoplasty.
    :rolleyes: You don't know what you're talking about.

In certain areas of London, the hospital fees alone can cost up to £2000, the anesthetist up to a £1000. That would mean the surgeon himself would get just £3000. You really think that a great, experienced, sought after surgeon is going to charge that little? You're in la-laland.

ReputationRep:
    Why are you confused - you have made a sound choice - THE CORRECT CHOICE!!

ReputationRep:
    Just do it. What's the point of constantly being unhappy about the way you look? Yes, £8000 is a lot of money, but if it's going to make you happy and confident about the way you look, then heck, why not?

ReputationRep:
    Dw, i got asked the other day if i'd ever broken my nose...i didnt think so but now looking at it, it looks like i have and i'm very concious about it x

but i doubt you should get the surgery if your having doubts...only do it if your totally, totally, absolutely sure! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Change it if you don't like it. Why the feck is it against your morals...what's morally dubious about it? You dye your hair, you shave, you pluck your eyebrows... why is this any different? I'd change my nose if it bothered me; why spend your life hating something you can change.

If it makes you feel better/more conifident, then it's more than worth it. Over a lifetime, £8000 isn't that much. That's like an okay new car. It's not like you can buy a house with it.
    Agreed.

I don't think spending money to improve yourself is bad and it's one thing to stick to your morals, it's another to allow them to affect your confidence and happiness. £8K.... yes that's a lot of money, but as Bubbles said some people go and spend £8K on a car which are rarely necessities if you can walk. The other day my friend spent £3k on a laptop which is pretty ridiculous in my opinion. My point is, it's your money spend it how you please and spending it on yourself is hardly a waste.

I know if I had the money I'd get a bloody nose-job. Chances are people on that forum are probably right, you probably don't need cosmetic surgery, but if you want it and you have the means to get it, then I see nothing wrong with it.

(Original post by Intensity)
    If your surgeon is one of the best, then you got nothing to worry about (You talking about BM, by any chance?). I think you should rebook.
    :yes: Yes I wasn't going to name names but I was booked with Matti, hence the price.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 26, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.