Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Just cancelled my cosmetic surgery op ... argh so confused, don't know what to do! Watch

(Original post by Lizia)
    Although if the OP can be dissuaded from plastic surgery because a few people on the internet told her she was pretty already, it doesn't sound like she actually dislikes her features that much, she's just slightly insecure like the rest of the damn planet
    They didn't say I was pretty :nah:, just that the surgery would not benefit my overall appearance as much as I thought.

ReputationRep:
    8k, that's crazy! Way to be completely selfish, you shouldn't care so much about your image, it will just make you depressed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flying Scotsman)
    8k, that's crazy! Way to be completely selfish, you shouldn't care so much about your image, it will just make you depressed.
    So what selfless should she do with the 8k, then? Buy a car? Go travelling? Blow it on clothes and make-up and electronical gadgets? Or some indulgent self-help books and counselling? How are any of those things less selfish? How are any of those things more important than wanting to improve your confidence and your opinion of yourself?

It's completely up to the OP either way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Change it if you don't like it. Why the feck is it against your morals...what's morally dubious about it? You dye your hair, you shave, you pluck your eyebrows... why is this any different? I'd change my nose if it bothered me; why spend your life hating something you can change.

If it makes you feel better/more conifident, then it's more than worth it. Over a lifetime, £8000 isn't that much. That's like an okay new car. It's not like you can buy a house with it.
    Well, I shave everyday. I don't have my nose broken in multiple places, having titanium implants inserted, on a daily basis.

Don't do it, OP. Just think how bad you'll feel if you spend £8,000 and still don't like the way you look.

But can we have a photo to see how you look, please? (If you don't want to post it, you can PM it to me, and I promise that I won't be cruel or anything other than honest.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Intensity)
    :rolleyes: You don't know what you're talking about.

In certain areas of London, the hospital fees alone can cost up to £2000, the anesthetist up to a £1000. That would mean the surgeon himself would get just £3000. You really think that a great, experienced, sought after surgeon is going to charge that little? You're in la-laland.
    Actually, I do know what I'm talking about. My family is in the cosmetic surgery business and I have an adminstrative role within it. So, you irritating little idiot, I think I've got a better idea of how much we charge patients than you :rolleyes:

By the way - surgeons don't get anywhere near 3k for performing a rhino. A general price is £500 for most surgeries - it's only surgeons in the Hollywood bracket that command more than that.

ReputationRep:
    It did Ashlee Simpson a world of good.

ReputationRep:
    No one will ever notice your physical flaws as much as you do. £8000 for one op is a waste, unless you've broke your nose and it's completely out of shape or something.

£8000 could buy you so many better things. The fact that you have a boyfriend must mean you're not totally hideous, so I say forget about it!

(Original post by jismith1989)
    But can we have a photo to see how you look, please? (If you don't want to post it, you can PM it to me, and I promise that I won't be cruel or anything other than honest.)
    Sure. Whether people are cruel or not doesn't bother me in the slightest, I just want the truth. I was considering posting photos when I made this thread but I wanted opinions based on my reasoning rather than my appearance. I didn't want this to be a thread of 'awwww you don't need surgery :console: :hugs:' etc. I wanted intellectual replies regarding the financial implications, morality, risks and outcomes.

I'll post photos here later when I've received more replies to my original post. Then you can judge all you want. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    You won't have to regret it for the rest of your life just because you've cancelled it now. You can always choose the operation later. You can't really get your time, old nose and money back if you do it and you're not sure.

ReputationRep:
    You're paying to much for it, but if you really have reason for it.... I think it should be done, living with something you don't like when you have an option is a burden - I understand why people have cosmetic surgery, It's usually because of bullying or a part of you that completely ruins the rest of your looks - the nose is commonly one of them.

ReputationRep:
    If you'e got a bf, then it can't be that bad. 8k is hell of a lot money, is it really worth it...

But anyway, it's your decision in the end.

ReputationRep:
    8 grand and the pain and risks involved are not worth it i think

i have a bad nose too but meh...

how about getting a hammer and doing it yourself?

ReputationRep:
    I think you should re-adjust your 'morals'. Now that you've been placed in the situation where you feel unhappy about how you look perhaps you can be a little more forgiving to yourself. It's really not a big deal. One op on your nose, that you clearly want, isn't going to make you an immoral person. It's also not going to turn you into a plastic surgery junky. So calm down and simplify this whole situation. You've found a fantastic doctor, you've commited to the surgery. The real reason you cancelled it was because your scared, understandably, and really the other reasons are excuses. The guy you've started seeing, well, he isn't your boyfriend, you don't owe him anything, just come out and say it, just tell him. If he has some problem with it then he sounds a bit pathetic to be honest and isn't really worth it. Stop over-thinking this and stop being so hard on yourself. You seem to feel guilty that your doing it and I truly can't understand why. I think you should re-book the appointment and give yourself a break - it's not like you're hurting anyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I wanted intellectual replies regarding the financial implications, morality, risks and outcomes
    That's what I'd be worried about. I don't suppose you'll get an insurance or warranty on your new nose. What if they screw it up - you'll be kicking yourself if it costs you £8000 and you're worse off than you were before.

Even if it goes well - it's unlikely to be perfect. What if it only takes a few months until you convince yourself you need more surgery - you could easily fall into a psychological money trap. You're a student - if in several years time when you're living on a salary perhaps, instead of scrimping by on loans and grants you still want the nose job, you'll be in a better position to afford it, you'll be sure that you've considered your decision fully, and the surgery itself is likely to be more effective and safe due to medical advancement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Sure. Whether people are cruel or not doesn't bother me in the slightest, I just want the truth. I was considering posting photos when I made this thread but I wanted opinions based on my reasoning rather than my appearance. I didn't want this to be a thread of 'awwww you don't need surgery http://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/i...es/console.gif http://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/i...ilies/hugs.gif' etc. I wanted intellectual replies regarding the financial implications, morality, risks and outcomes.

I'll post photos here later when I've received more replies to my original post. Then you can judge all you want. http://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/i...milies/yes.gif
    Sure, I can understand that, but I think that aesthetic judgements on how you look are just as important (as long as they're honest) as intellectual ones myself, if not more so, because if people generally don't think that you look so bad, then any issues of intellectual morality are surely redundant. It's only otherwise that they come into play.

I won't patronise you if I think that your looks probably could be improved significantly though, because I'm having semi-cosmetic-surgery myself -- in that my jaw is misaligned and it doesn't really need to be corrected, but doing so will improve my health as well as aesthetics, which is why I can get it done free on the NHS.

ReputationRep:
    That's such a waste of money.. Imagine what you could do with £ 8,000 !!! I'm pretty sure you focus on your nose but people around you hardly notice it.. A surgery implies some risks, you could regret it and want your old nose back but that's not possible , what's done is done.. So think about it and if in 2 months you still want to have the surgery then go.

ReputationRep:
    i can relate to you because i want a nose job, and am currently looking into it. i often think to myself would i go through with it, but thats simply because im scard of it going wrong or something.

personallyy i think if your really unhappy then you should go for it. you hear so many stories about people saying it was the best thing theyve ever done. 8000 is a lot of money, but you cant put a price on happiness or confidence. im assuming it will make you feel a million times better about yourself, and if ur not gonna be happy with the nose you have then go for it. your lucky if youve got the money now, i have nowhere near the amount i need.

just wondering what is the name of the plastic surgeon and what company? i need to get the best surgeon

I really want mine done too..not because I want to look 'perfect' but i actually feel as if it looks deformed and mine doesn't look like anybody elses. I want it done next year when i've finished uni and hopefully move away as its silly but i don't really want anyone to know about it...I'm worried though that even though i really really want it done like you do i won't have the courage to have it done when it comes to it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    I won't patronise you if I think that your looks probably could be improved significantly though, because I'm having semi-cosmetic-surgery myself -- in that my jaw is misaligned and it doesn't really need to be corrected, but doing so will improve my health as well as aesthetics, which is why I can get it done free on the NHS.
    Orthognathic surgery? I'm having this surgery too! I'm currently pre-surgery braced up. :yes:

(Original post by Pyropink)
    If you'e got a bf, then it can't be that bad. 8k is hell of a lot money, is it really worth it...

But anyway, it's your decision in the end.

The fact that you have a boyfriend must mean you're not totally hideous, so I say forget about it!

Are you actually being serious? You actually think people with hideous noses are single for the whole of their lives? And why would someone cancel an operation because of a guy they may not even be with this time next year?

(OP I'm not implying that your nose is hideous btw).

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 26, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.