Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Just cancelled my cosmetic surgery op ... argh so confused, don't know what to do! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    Orthognathic surgery? I'm having this surgery too! I'm currently pre-surgery braced up. http://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/i...milies/yes.gif
    Yeah, that's the one. (Orthognathous simply means "straight jaw" in Ancient Greek [modern medicine deriving all its terms from that language as a continuation of the Roman practice, originally adopted to give doctors a certain cultural cachet -- sorry, I just wanted to share my classical geekiness :angelblush:].) I've had a brace for a while, too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Up until about 2/3 years ago I was completely against cosmetic surgery and thought it was only for vain, self-obsessed people. However I have also been unhappy with my nose for a long time and have often received comments on it. After years of planning and considering the risks I opted for cosmetic surgery. I booked in with one of the best surgeons in the country. Costing me a grand total of almost £8000.

Well, on Friday, I got cold feet and called to cancel the op. I'm such an idiot. :facepalm:

The reasons:
    1 - I posted my pic on a cosmetic surgery forum and most people said that it would only benefit me slightly. They were probably just being nice but it really made me re-evaluate my situation and wonder whether it's worth the risks and pain of surgery if it'll only improve my looks 'slightly'.
    2 - £8000 (about half savings and half student loan) is a LOT of money and can be spent on so many other things!
    3 - I just started dating a new guy who I really like and didn't know how to tell him.
    4 - the final straw - I was on the bus on my way back from my pre-op consultation and there was a disabled girl sitting opposite me about my age. I just started thinking 'wtf am I doing' and about how lucky I actually am.

But now I'm thinking I'm still going to be unhappy with my nose no matter what and will possibly regret this decision for the rest of my life. I am morally against cosmetic surgery, but am also very unhappy with the way I look. I feel I have to go against my morals in order to be happy.

Ultimately it's my decision, but I'd like to hear other people's opinions on the matter as I literally have no idea what to do.
    Chances are if you had your nose done, you might be happy with your nose but then turn your attention to another area of your body that you dislike. And if getting a nose job is a quick fix to something you don't like about yourself, what's to say you then wouldn't be tempted to get cosmetic surgery on something else? Everyone has parts of their body they strongly dislike, but if people say your nose isn't that bad I'd be inclined to trust them and try and focus on your better features.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Change it if you don't like it. Why the feck is it against your morals...what's morally dubious about it? You dye your hair, you shave, you pluck your eyebrows... why is this any different? I'd change my nose if it bothered me; why spend your life hating something you can change.

If it makes you feel better/more conifident, then it's more than worth it. Over a lifetime, £8000 isn't that much. That's like an okay new car. It's not like you can buy a house with it.

I don't usually agree with Bubble's 'advice', but this time i'd say i agree 100%.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh I'm slightly biased as I would never get any surgery done! But if it's something major that's completely distracting then I'd probably wait a year or so until I had money to spare for it, rather than the money I had saved up specifically for that, as that would add pressure to have it. Do you think you actually regret not having gone through with it? Just remember, you can't change it, so I'd spend a few years thinking about it, but that's just me!

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't spend £8k on something that I only ever see in a mirror and in the edge of my peripheral vision (it's always there )

ReputationRep:
    Don't do it, everyone has a weird nose in some way, either too big, or too small, or with a bump at an odd point. Live with it, you don't want to look like this:

http://www.7mpictures.com/inside/screens/nose.jpg

ReputationRep:
    Up until about 2/3 years ago I was completely against cosmetic surgery and thought it was only for vain, self-obsessed people. However I have also been unhappy with my nose for a long time and have often received comments on it. After years of planning and considering the risks I opted for cosmetic surgery. I booked in with one of the best surgeons in the country. Costing me a grand total of almost £8000.

Well, on Friday, I got cold feet and called to cancel the op. I'm such an idiot. :facepalm:

The reasons:
    1 - I posted my pic on a cosmetic surgery forum and most people said that it would only benefit me slightly. They were probably just being nice but it really made me re-evaluate my situation and wonder whether it's worth the risks and pain of surgery if it'll only improve my looks 'slightly'.
    2 - £8000 (about half savings and half student loan) is a LOT of money and can be spent on so many other things!
    3 - I just started dating a new guy who I really like and didn't know how to tell him.
    4 - the final straw - I was on the bus on my way back from my pre-op consultation and there was a disabled girl sitting opposite me about my age. I just started thinking 'wtf am I doing' and about how lucky I actually am.

But now I'm thinking I'm still going to be unhappy with my nose no matter what and will possibly regret this decision for the rest of my life. I am morally against cosmetic surgery, but am also very unhappy with the way I look. I feel I have to go against my morals in order to be happy.

Ultimately it's my decision, but I'd like to hear other people's opinions on the matter as I literally have no idea what to do.
    Ok here is my take on it:

there absolutely is nothing wrong with cosmetic surgery if it boosts your self confidence and self esteem. And most certainly with the right nip/tuck you will look better. However cosmetic surgery is wrong if it becomes an obsession.

As for the disabled girl, yeah sure its **** seeing that, but who knows maybe she would go for some cosmetic surgery if she had the money?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeTSR)
    Don't do it, everyone has a weird nose in some way, either too big, or too small, or with a bump at an odd point. Live with it, you don't want to look like this:

http://www.7mpictures.com/inside/screens/nose.jpg
    If you are sensible you will know where your limitations are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fat_hobbit)
    If you are sensible you will know where your limitations are.
    That wasn't my main point. I was saying there's no need for nose surgery, as everyone has a weird nose in some way.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really proud of you! I know people have their negative glitches at times, they think that something about them is really bad that they suggest actions in the heat of the moment that are so extreme but in that moment in time they seem so necessary.

But I'm proud you came to realize to live with it. You get used to any "flaws" in your physical make-up after a while and it just becomes part of your identity and who you are. That would be a nightmare thing to say to somebody who was rejecting part of themselves such as Buck teeth or a Cumbrian chin because they might begin to reject who they think they are. Once you get into the wave of life and you have responsibilities such as a well-paid job, a relationship and even a family, minute details will fail to get your attention.

Just remember that everybody has something about them that they disapprove of. Those who deem themselves physically perfect have the imperfections in their thinking and their mind, and those imperfections are the most dangerous of all because they are the one's that can actually manipulate and hurt people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeTSR)
    That wasn't my main point. I was saying there's no need for nose surgery, as everyone has a weird nose in some way.
    But if it makes you look better, why not?

ReputationRep:

The reasons:

If it would enhance your looks only slightly and you have a BF, you probably look fine. Why would you go through the risks and pain and cost of having A SURGICAL PROCEDURE done when you probably don't need it. Surgery does go wrong and has risks involved. Unless you really NEED it, why put yourself at risk? Is your nose deformed? Is it making you depressed? Can you live your life happily without it? If so, I wouldn't. If you can live happily without it, I don't think it's worth the risks.

Surgery is not like wearing makeup, dying your hair or tinting your eyebrows. It is a medical procedure and there are many risks involved. I am not a doctor, but from what I know this could include infection, deformity, disatisfaction with results, death, reaction to anaesthetic etc etc. It is a huge physical insult to your body.

Ultimately you need to weigh up whether your current nose is making you so unhappy that you really feel you need surgery. Can you live with your current nose? If so, say no!

What is wrong with your current nose? Is there any guarantee you'd actually be happier with an altered nose? Is there any guarantee it'd look how you imagine it to look? Erm, no.

ReputationRep:
    Go for it. I think you could get it cheaper eslewhere, but seriously, go for it. If God didn't want people to change their faces if they didn't like it, he wouldn't have given us the mental ability to do it.

I'm having a nose job soon, decided when I was 9 and I'm 17 now. The chances of me changing my mind are slimmer than... well, I'm not changing my mind. Not now, not ever.

Don't listen to what other people say, and don't make yourself feel guilty about stuff. I'm heading off to Africa to do aid work soon as well, but the sight of starving children won't change my mind about it. If my money wasn't going on my nose, it would've gone on something else. Something stupid probably. Certainly not something to help the world. Other than Michael Jackson, no-one would spend that sort of money trying to make the world a better place.

Like I keep saying, go for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarubobo28)
    Doesn't your boyfriend love you the way you are? I don't think he will want you to change your face, you will look like a different person :s if its only a slight change then why bother. and plus, your 8000 pounds could save many dying people if you use the money wisely and not waste it on slightly changing a single body part to feel better about the way you look... there are probably uglier people out there and what you said about disabled girl should have put you off completely. 8000 pounds!? what a waste of money.
    Why does it matter what her boyfriend thinks? It's what she thinks that matters, it's her face.

Gods sake, some people might want to do things to please themselves, not their partner.

/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahthegemini)
    Why does it matter what her boyfriend thinks? It's what she thinks that matters, it's her face.

Gods sake, some people might want to do things to please themselves, not their partner.

/
    Umm, calm down. No need to sound so pissed off... :rolleyes:
    Ok so I'll have to explain then.

Why do you do things like put make up on?
    It's to make you look more attractive.

Attractive: 1. providing pleasure or delight, esp. in appearance or manner. 2. arousing interest or engaging one's thought, consideration, etc.

You can understand from the above definition that attractiveness involves other people being attracted to you (which is quite obvious). Living things have to attract the opposite sex, just accept that it's the nature of things (although human psychology is more complex than that, as you sometimes get homosexuality but this isn't the case), so basically everyone would want to make themselves look more attractive.

People want to lose weight for the same reason. To look more attractive; because other people exist, and will see them, that's the whole point of putting effort to be pretty. You said that it's "for herself", but the thing is, if she gets pleasure from this cosmetic surgery, that's because she would know that other people would be pleased by the way she looks. Attracting the opposite sex is what it's all about, even if unconcious, it just is. (Wanting to appear attractive to the same sex links to attracting the opposite sex so that's also natural e.g. competition).

So I was just saying that if she had a boyfriend who loves her (which she probably does), then there's no need for her to worry about herself being 'unattractive' because he probably thinks that she IS attractive. I don't know about her relationship, but I was just saying, if he loves her then she should be confident about herself, simple as that.

(Original post by MoonwalkBaby)
    Go for it. I think you could get it cheaper eslewhere, but seriously, go for it. If God didn't want people to change their faces if they didn't like it, he wouldn't have given us the mental ability to do it.

I'm having a nose job soon, decided when I was 9 and I'm 17 now. The chances of me changing my mind are slimmer than... well, I'm not changing my mind. Not now, not ever.

Don't listen to what other people say, and don't make yourself feel guilty about stuff. I'm heading off to Africa to do aid work soon as well, but the sight of starving children won't change my mind about it. If my money wasn't going on my nose, it would've gone on something else. Something stupid probably. Certainly not something to help the world. Other than Michael Jackson, no-one would spend that sort of money trying to make the world a better place.

Like I keep saying, go for it.

Believing in God does make life easier doesn't it... just bring him up and yay you have an excuse, lol. I think you should read Richard Dawkins :yep: Sorry if you're actually religious, but you don't sound very faithful because all I sensed was ignorance in what you've said there...

ReputationRep:
    Believing in God does make life easier doesn't it... just bring him up and yay you have an excuse, lol. I think you should read Richard Dawkins :yep: Sorry if you're actually religious, but you don't sound very faithful because all I sensed was ignorance in what you've said there...
    Erm. Well, even if you don't believe in God you can argue that the advances in science and medicine are there to be used. If we have the mental ability to change something we don't like, why not do it? Ironically, your post sounds more ignorant than MoonwalkBaby.

No need for you to turn this thread into a theological debate or bring up that **** Richard Dawkins (okay he's not a **** but he seriously annoys me) on the basis of one off-hand comment, when all we're talking about is cosmetic surgery.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 26, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.