Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Different types of courses at Unis (eg. traditional, integrated, PBL) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Can somebody please split up all the unis to see where they fit in the Medicine learning type they offer, ie I know Newcastle is integrated, Oxford traditional, etc. Can somebody please make this clear for me and other people who want to identify clearly which ones may suit them?

ReputationRep:
    Great idea, well volunteered.

ReputationRep:
    I can't find anything that has condensed down each universities course structure but I would just say take a look at the university websites and they should tell you simply the course structure they do.

Here is some information on all of the different course structures you may like:

Medicine Course Structure

ReputationRep:
    Really, I think the only way to do it is to look at each school individually because 'traditional' vs 'integrated' just doesn't cut it. What about the medical school that has a traditional clinical/pre-clinical divide but does a lot of PBL or the medical school that has lots of lectures but divides the syllabus into systems?

ReputationRep:
    I was planning on doing a wiki page on how each medical school course works, and will get around to it at some point (time and workload dependent). If someone else wants to do it of course, they are welcome to!

ReputationRep:
    You have way too much time on your hands :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Deja vu... someone asked for this a couple of months back. Is the search function working?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Really, I think the only way to do it is to look at each school individually because 'traditional' vs 'integrated' just doesn't cut it. What about the medical school that has a traditional clinical/pre-clinical divide but does a lot of PBL or the medical school that has lots of lectures but divides the syllabus into systems?
    Yeah with that, I don't suppose there's a place that breaks down unis that have early clinical contact is there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woody.)
    Yeah with that, I don't suppose there's a place that breaks down unis that have early clinical contact is there?
    I dunno, it's not something that would be too difficult to make though. But, again, you have to define it more - if you were looking for a school that had early clinical contact you could go to Cambridge who do have early clinical contact (a whole day of it in first and second year :p: ) or you could go to PMS who do a day a week.

Or you could ask yourself why it matters to you?

Ditto with PBL, dissection, fried chicken shops or whatever other criteria you want to compare schools on. Infact, the only one I can think of where there is a yes/no answer is on systems versus subject based curricula.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    I dunno, it's not something that would be too difficult to make though. But, again, you have to define it more - if you were looking for a school that had early clinical contact you could go to Cambridge who do have early clinical contact (a whole day of it in first and second year :p: ) or you could go to PMS who do a day a week.

Or you could ask yourself why it matters to you?

Ditto with PBL, dissection, fried chicken shops or whatever other criteria you want to compare schools on. Infact, the only one I can think of where there is a yes/no answer is on systems versus subject based curricula.
    Thanks. I guess they'll have it down on their prospectus. The annoying thing is as you said, they'll write 'early clin contact' on the prospectus then they'll be hardly any. Ah well, I guess I can PM people here anyways. Cheers.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.