Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 7777777)
    Your right choc :p:

I think that a lot of women like to do weights at home rather than at the gym. Most you speak to on here say they've got some dumbbells lol. Then they'll go to the gym to do there running/cross training or whatever.
    I have dumbells. A lot of womens fitness dvds use them. You're right I wouldn;t use weights in the gym unless I was having a session with a trainer or something but I owuld go to the gym to use the treadmil or exercise bike.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Honey*Bear*)
    I have dumbells. A lot of womens fitness dvds use them. You're right I wouldn;t use weights in the gym unless I was having a session with a trainer or something but I owuld go to the gym to use the treadmil or exercise bike.
    Why not? We dont bite, honest! You'll get a much more effective work out if you do use the weights there as they have a much wider range and barbells.

That and people will tell you if your going wrong.

ReputationRep:
    What do you do so far to exercise ?
    Fitness dvd twice a week which uses weights and has lots of squats in it with high impact intivals to fat burn. Sometimes weeks I go on the treadmil at the gym as well. Only been doing this for a month.

My diet is hmmmm... sometimes I'm good. I always have 3 good meals a day but if i dont watch it I snack loads od chocolate and stuff. I never put on weight so it never bothered me before but it does now because I know it's probably not helping the toning.

ReputationRep:
    Fitness dvd twice a week which uses weights and has lots of squats in it with high impact intivals to fat burn. Sometimes weeks I go on the treadmil at the gym as well. Only been doing this for a month.

My diet is hmmmm... sometimes I'm good. I always have 3 good meals a day but if i dont watch it I snack loads od chocolate and stuff. I never put on weight so it never bothered me before but it does now because I know it's probably not helping the toning.

Hrm, low weight, thin girl who has a quite bad diet and does limited exercise. Sound quite prone to being skinny fat to anyone else?

At any rate, like I said. Your far better off to get to the gym and get some good freeweights down you! Organise a session with the instructor and get him/her to teach you squat/deadlift/(Others, I count these as less important) if the freeweights area scares you. Its really not hard!

That and if you take my advice then make sure you eat enough energy and protein, building muscle takes alot!

ReputationRep:
    Try to get some more weights in two times a week (wouldn't take long..) and try and run/crosstrain/cycle as well. Your on the right track with the intensity training. I would say weight train more but your doing them in your dvds :p: You definately need to deadlift, squat, lunges. Try these once a week as well http://www.lonkilgore.com/usawrdc/Ab..._Intensity.pdf(go down)
    I'd throw in some crunches a couple of times a week as well on your running/dvd days.

To loose fat you'll need to be eatin less food like chocolate... Just been to be using more calories than your taking in.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks both very useful. I need to get my diet sorted properly as well. Any advice on the whole skinyfat thing mipegg? I don't know a lot about it.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks both very useful. I need to get my diet sorted properly as well. Any advice on the whole skinyfat thing mipegg? I don't know a lot about it.
    Well, the principal is that through silly diets/excess cardio (can contribute) alot of girls get light and fairly thin but its just because their body has shed muscle tissue. So their thin but flabby. Best way to tell is look in a mirror and jump, what wobbles is fat!

Easy to rectify, build the lost muscle then loose the fat (its tricky to do at the same time).

Though it just 'sounds' like you could be, no picture/BF measure means we cant tell

ReputationRep:
    Basically migpegg just wants to see pics

ReputationRep:
    Basically migpegg just wants to see pics
    Oh ofc, Naked ideally.

:ahee:

ReputationRep:
    I've been thin all my life only just started exercising and I have no flab. If I posted a pic of my tummy on here would I be able to delete? I dont really want it on for long.

ReputationRep:
    I've been thin all my life only just started exercising and I have no flab. If I posted a pic of my tummy on here would I be able to delete? I dont really want it on for long.
    Yea, you see the edit button? You click that and delete the code then repost and the image'll be gone.

ReputationRep:
    Planks, jacknifes, ab wheel rollouts.

ReputationRep:
    Skinny fat thing will be sorted out when you start training doing things such as what i said.

Don't expect instant results... You need to be commited :p:

And yeah planks are awesome ^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mipegg)
    Yea, you see the edit button? You click that and delete the code then repost and the image'll be gone.
    thanks posted it now

ReputationRep:
    thanks posted it now
    Ok, honestly. You have a pretty good base to start off! So I would say go with what 777777 was saying in that case

ReputationRep:
    ok thanks. Its nice and flat just not toned and defined. I'll take what you've both said and start tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    ok thanks. Its nice and flat just not toned and defined. I'll take what you've both said and start tomorrow

Well, tone is developed muscles coupled with low body fat. Girls are guilty of ignoring the first and going all out on the second and guys the other way round.

You'll do just fine if you do the exercises we mentioned!

ReputationRep:
    I didn't see but best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    I didn't see but best of luck!
    Well, definately nothing to be ashamed of. Reletively low BF (Could see hip bones and just an outline of rib), some abdominal but not much. (What you can see is tendon anyway).

ReputationRep:
    OK how heavy are they? Womens fitness DVDs - :no:

Why not use weights in the gym? You pay the membership. I'm pretty sceptical about personal trainers at most gyms, but why not get them to give you a free weight induction? Start off really basic, and do not hesitate to try things out with an EZ bar first or without any weight at all. Trust me, it's more embarrassing to be one of those guys thinking they're hard grunting and doing bicep curls
    From looking at your photo, you would really benefit from good core back exercises with weights.

If you want to see results more quickly, I would say scrap the fitness DVDs and the hit the treadmill doing HIIT. There was an article posted on here about exercise for people not used to it - you do need to focus on the kind of exercise you are doing, and especially, on your diet. A lot of people fail to see changes because they are not doing the right exercise or eating correctly.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 10, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.