Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I’m thinking about putting Brunel down as one of my choices for English with Creative Writing for 2010 entry. Does anyone on here study this course and how are you finding it (especially the creative writing part)? Is there a lot less course places available than if you did English as single honours? Also, do they interview before making offers?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I was on this course from 2007-2008, so I can tell you a little bit. I'll try and be neutral. Bear in mind that I only did the first year and things may have changed since 2007

In my first year there was only two modules where you actually got to do some creative writing in workshops. It was okay, the lecturers were alright, but it was really dependent on what kind of people were in your workshop. If other people didn't do their work or hadn't read your submission, than the seminar was pointless and boring but if everyone had done their part it could be really stimulating. It's all about participation, and hoping that your classmates get a good discussion going. In general, I think the lecturers were good, but you really have to be proactive in terms of asking for help and feedback. They won't help you unless you go to them first. Facilities are okay, not great.

There were quite a few places when I went, and many people came through clearing so they don't always interview, if ever. In my honest opinion I would say that if you are looking at Brunel as an insurance/back-up or clearing place for English/C.Writing that's fine, but I wouldn't firm it if I had the choice again.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, thanks for the honest reply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dijobla)
    I was on this course from 2007-2008, so I can tell you a little bit. I'll try and be neutral. Bear in mind that I only did the first year and things may have changed since 2007

In my first year there was only two modules where you actually got to do some creative writing in workshops. It was okay, the lecturers were alright, but it was really dependent on what kind of people were in your workshop. If other people didn't do their work or hadn't read your submission, than the seminar was pointless and boring but if everyone had done their part it could be really stimulating. It's all about participation, and hoping that your classmates get a good discussion going. In general, I think the lecturers were good, but you really have to be proactive in terms of asking for help and feedback. They won't help you unless you go to them first. Facilities are okay, not great.

There were quite a few places when I went, and many people came through clearing so they don't always interview, if ever. In my honest opinion I would say that if you are looking at Brunel as an insurance/back-up or clearing place for English/C.Writing that's fine, but I wouldn't firm it if I had the choice again.
    Hey, Out of curiousity, why did you only do the course for one year? Decided to go somewhere else? Different course?

I'll be getting my A Level results this Thursday and will have to decide between Surrey or Brunel for this very course (Brunel being my insurance)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shervin)
    Hey, Out of curiousity, why did you only do the course for one year? Decided to go somewhere else? Different course?

I'll be getting my A Level results this Thursday and will have to decide between Surrey or Brunel for this very course (Brunel being my insurance)
    English turned out to be the wrong course for me and Brunel the wrong university - bad luck really, as I liked it quite a bit on open days etc. It's a decent course, but it wasn't what I was expecting from an English. So I left at the end of the year, did an art course and reapplied for Architecture.

There were quite a few personal reasons for my leaving too which really aren't anything to do with Brunel or the course. And I should reassure you that many of my friends are perfectly happy there with very few complaints :yes:.

I don't know anything about Surrey (heard it's pretty good that's about it) but if you end up Brunel, you've done all right for yourself . Good luck for Thursday .

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.