The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Xerophelistica
In my opinion, this isn't even an issue about parties, it's an issue about common sense. People in this thread have summed it up better than I would be able to when they talk about how it's the school's problem, not Oxford's problem.

Yeah, that's true. In fact it's the whole education system's problem overall - but other things like this thing Mandelson is proposing doesn't make it better.
Reply 21
im so academic
note I said "into university" NOT "most academic and prestigious universities" - because yeah, you're right! it is a barrier to entry! not against you on that - because it's true!

but tbh, you are right about the second point, but this is not the way forward. however surely it would be better for treating the root cause that benefits the long term rather than this system which benefits the short term?

and yeah, the whole education system in this country is just screwed. just screwed.

Well if you consider the alternatives that come up when people talk about 'root causes, root causes...', they are very long term. It would involve spending more money on state schools, changing recruitment and pay for teachers to attract the best teachers into the state sector, changing curriculum/targets to give state schools the same freedoms... and the list goes on.

Basically, they are not 'real' alternatives to a policy like this. Everyone also has to remember that the government hasn't announced a policy on this yet and this is all just talk and speculation. A policy like this may not be the perfect solution but I honestly believe it is a step in the right direction.
Miss Prankster Pixie
the article described how KCL have a zero-year for their medics from disadvantaged backgrounds. IMO, this is moving in the right direction (for the moment at least).

No, and i'm living proof of that.

But a disadvantaged background can be a barrier to getting into the TOP universities.

As a for instance, there are some schools who will not teach above a certain level. they just won't do it. i've been through that system, and had to teach myelf, luckily as a mature student, i knew what i was doing, but that is not the case for all standard age students.

There was another person I read about who, despite having 9 As for GCSE, and 4 As for A-level, their college told them they would not support their application to Oxbridge, as it would take too much time/effort for the college.

I'm not in support of Mandelson's scheme... I think it's a load of horse-s***. But I do think there needs to be some way of bringing students up to the standards they are capable of.

See my post above the one where I replied to you: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=20511224&postcount=7

In my opinion, Oxbridge need to take into account an applicant's school before deciding anything. At the moment, state school people do (on average) better at tripos than private school people with the same grades. So it seems Oxbridge need to adjust their admissions policy slightly in favour of state schools slightly (or, more specifically, the less good state schools) (so that the distribution of state school results is the same as private school results).

In addition, they have got to start looking at offering foundation year courses for people who are perhaps extremely intelligent but have had disrupted (if they are not already doing so). But Mandelson's scheme sounds OK. I'd have no problem with it provided Cambridge or Oxford offered 'catch-up' courses to people who they deemed clever enough but not quite ready for university.
Arrogant Git
In my opinion, Oxbridge need to take into account an applicant's school before deciding anything. At the moment, state school people do (on average) better at tripos than private school people with the same grades. So it seems Oxbridge need to adjust their admissions policy slightly in favour of state schools slightly (or, more specifically, the less good state schools) (so that the distribution of state school results is the same as private school results).

Ahem, they do take into account! Well, I know that Cambridge offers the Special Access Scheme if your education is disrupted so instead of adjust the admissions policy, surely this is better?

In addition, they have got to start looking at offering foundation year courses for people who are perhaps extremely intelligent but have had disrupted (if they are not already doing so). But Mandelson's scheme sounds OK. I'd have no problem with it provided Cambridge or Oxford offered 'catch-up' courses to people who they deemed clever enough but not quite ready for university.

Umm, excuse me, how are we going to fund this? Taxes? You really think that would be popular now? Putting the education budget or whatever into this? No. Invest it in improving secondary schools and in primary schools to ensure children can read/write/do basic maths at 11 and get 5Cs inc. English and Maths at 16 as apparently - 50% of school leavers can't do that!

Disrupted education you say?! Hell yeah! Of course when 1000s of 16 year olds can't do basic maths and English their education is disrupted. :rolleyes: Fix this first before the university system.
Reply 24
I think the easiest solution for us all is just to jump ship. Can't imagine England getting any better any time soon...
Arrogant Git

im so academic
Ahem, they do take into account! Well, I know that Cambridge offers the Special Access Scheme if your education is disrupted so instead of adjust the admissions policy, surely this is better?

don't cambridge also hand out slightly lower conditional offers to some students from certain backgrounds as well as the special access scheme?

i think i remember hearing (well over 15 years ago) that oxford also accepted people with D and E grades so long as they passed the admissions test? (in fact i'm fairly certain i've got that written in a 1970s version of "so you want to go to oxbridge, tell me about a banana").

Arrogant Git

exactly. it was the lack of catch-up which concerned me.

as long as there is some means of catching up to be at the standard for year one on a degree, then this is a positive thing. i discussed this with an admissions tutor at one of the mature colleges, she said she wished it were possible too, but the funds just aren't available as yet.

but yeah, IMO, it's very unfair/cruel to just dump a person into a tough degree course when they haven't had the prep to bring them up to the level expected on the course, no matter how smart they are.

im so academic

Umm, excuse me, how are we going to fund this? Taxes? You really think that would be popular now? Putting the education budget or whatever into this? No. Invest it in improving secondary schools and in primary schools to ensure children can read/write/do basic maths at 11 and get 5Cs inc. English and Maths at 16 as apparently - 50% of school leavers can't do that!

i actually agree with this also... :s-smilie:

arg. lol. can't we just have a completely unlimited education budget?

on a serious note, we fund access courses already, you do 16 hours per week, which allows the student to sign on or claim other benefits, or work part-time, and still study. something like this could work, if it was an extension year for gifted, talented, but disadvantaged. they stay at home and apply to uni in this year. and it allows them to go for a higher grade of university than they would have previously. this also means that the various universities wouldn't be taking such a risk by taking a student who has lower grades than their other students.

on the issue of people coming out of school without 5 GCSEs:

hmn... i think the education point is actually very complex, that it's not just about pouring money into failing schools. something has happened within british culture over the past 20-30 years, the dismantling of our manufacturign industry has created a type of loss, or normlessness. which i think has impacted on schooling also, as if this has been transmitted multigenerationally. i don't have much proof for this, apart from a couple of sociology studies and a couple of theorists claims... don't know... thoughts?
Reply 26
im so academic
Tbh, the logic is flawed. He thinks that if you're poor you're directly thick. If you're rich, you're directly intelligent. No, that's wrong!

**** me! If anything he favours the chavs.

Tbh, who is he to say this? Labour has ****** up education and this is not making it better.

"One of the effects would be to “bump out” many middle-class candidates at high-performing independent and grammar schools from popular courses at leading universities."

Idiot. If they are suitable, why shouldn't they get in? That's positive discrimination!

The point is that two people of equal intelligence and ability would get different results at different schools. Clearly at a school where most people are failing, it's going to be so much more difficult to get AAA than at a school where AAA is the norm. Also the smaller class sizes and lower levels of disruption at private schools will make it easier to get higher grades hence why people pay so much for their kids to attend them. It's not about poor people being thick or rich people being intelligent.
Arrogant Git

Oxford's system has changed slightly so that information about all applicants' schooling is at hand. Afaik, they now do this so that people who look promising but who come from disadvantaged educational backgrounds won't be excluded from the interview process :yes:

I'm not in favour of Mandelson's scheme at all. Partly because of the problems of gaps in knowledge (which would hopefully be covered by the foundation years if they were to be introduced but there is the possibility that people may be put off by having to do extra years and get into more debt, esp. for courses like Medicine) but also because of the stigma that could be attached to such students. Whilst I've had few negative remarks about my A Level grades, I got told by my own tutorial partner that I didn't deserve to be here and it's not pleasant :s-smilie:

:smile:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Oxford's system has changed slightly so that information about all applicants' schooling is at hand. Afaik, they now do this so that people who look promising but who come from disadvantaged educational backgrounds won't be excluded from the interview process :yes:

I'm not in favour of Mandelson's scheme at all. Partly because of the problems of gaps in knowledge (which would hopefully be covered by the foundation years if they were to be introduced but there is the possibility that people may be put off by having to do extra years and get into more debt, esp. for courses like Medicine) but also because of the stigma that could be attached to such students. Whilst I've had few negative remarks about my A Level grades, I got told by my own tutorial partner that I didn't deserve to be here and it's not pleasant :s-smilie:

:smile:

I think that people who went to Westminster or St Paul's or whatever need to man the **** up and accept that they had a damn privileged upbringing and that not everyone was as lucky as them. If someone says you don't deserve to be at Oxford I think it says more about where they deserve to be than anything else (academically as well as morally).

If lowering admissions standards for people at rubbish schools means that there are fewer of that sort of person at Oxbridge, I'm all for it.

In addition, if you survive 7 years of an inner city comp, I'm sure you would acquire the necessary skills in beating someone to death with your bare hands to deal with that situation quickly and maturely.
Arrogant Git
I think that people who went to Westminster or St Paul's or whatever need to man the **** up and accept that they had a damn privileged upbringing and that not everyone was as lucky as them. If someone says you don't deserve to be at Oxford I think it says more about where they deserve to be than anything else (academically as well as morally).

If lowering admissions standards for people at rubbish schools means that there are fewer of that sort of person at Oxbridge, I'm all for it.

In addition, if you survive 7 years of an inner city comp, I'm sure you would acquire the necessary skills in beating someone to death with your bare hands to deal with that situation quickly and maturely.

My school was an all girls' school, so whilst I could probs have a shot at beating people to death I am far more skilled in orchestrating bitch fests of 'Mean Girls' proportions :eek: :yep: :p:

:ninja:

I think in my case, it was the combination of the guy being generally a bit of an ignorant prick (absolutely lovely, but still an ignorant prick) and the fact that he didn't get great AS results and thus took a gap year to try and enhance his chance of getting a place. So whilst he's possibly insecure and thinking that maybe he wouldn't have got an offer had he applied at the start of Year 13, I know my tutor liked me enough to take me regardless of my grades :cool:
Reply 30
The_Lonely_Goatherd
My school was an all girls' school, so whilst I could probs have a shot at beating people to death I am far more skilled in orchestrating bitch fests of 'Mean Girls' proportions

Just a hunch, but I don't think your school was really what Arrogant Git had in mind when he was talking about tough inner city comprehensives. >_____>
BJack
Just a hunch, but I don't think your school was really what Arrogant Git had in mind when he was talking about tough inner city comprehensives. >_____>

Possibly not :biggrin:
Adorno
Except there's already plenty of discrimination against people with a certain income or who come from certain schools - it's just it's discrimination against the poor rather than the rich. Personally, I find discrimination against the rich far more palatable than what we have presently. If you read the article it talks about the problems they have of getting doctors to work in working-class areas. This isn't a new problem: if you look at South Wales, for example, there was a shortage of doctors in the 1960s and so they brought in lots of doctors from India to plug the gap. We're now in a similar position again because the middle-class doctors from private schools don't want to practice on council estates. That's what they want to try and change.

Completely agreed - but I bet most doctors who were once from the working class would not want to work in these council estates either...
Reply 33
Comp_Genius
Completely agreed - but I bet most doctors who were once from the working class would not want to work in these council estates either...

Possibly not, however I think they're working on the principle that working-class kids who make it often are more inclined to give back for reasons other than sentimental charity or because god-told-me.

I think.
KAISER_MOLE
Dunno if there's already been a thread on this (I imagine there's been many similar debates, as the idea has been flying about for a few weeks)

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/education/article6788798.ece

It's all social mobility stuff! So kids from disadvantaged backgrounds should be given an official uni applications boost (even though I imagine many admissions tutors already consider educational background in decision making/offer setting). What are people's thoughts? I just think there should be more focus on the 13 years of schooling before university

(In oxbridge forum as Mandelson is gonna shine his uber-spotlight on Oxbridge, scary times!)

Obviously there does also need to be more focus on school, I think the point is that applicants with equal ability and motivation will do worse in school exams at some schools that others, due to factors outside of their countrol. So it seems just, and good for universities, to take applicant's social circumstances into consideration when making offers.

This needs to happen as, although school reform is urgently needed, our society will never be completely equal in terms of the opportunities afforded kids when they grow up. I think that people who argue against this reform are probably fairly ignorant.
The Muon
Well I'm in two minds about this. The majority of me thinks that your uni entrance should have no bearing on your circumstances and it should purely be based on academic merit. There is a little niggle though that people from lesser schools are at a bit of a disadvantage to someone who pays a fortune for the best education from the best teacher. Most people will learn more if it is a small class and they get lots of extra help rather than being at the back of a 9-5 college that does no extra classes.

I like your copy and paste.

It's hardly a "little niggle" though. It's a massive problem. I think something needs doing about it, although to an extent it is.

Having said that, these proposals completely corrupt the idea of qualifications and patronise on all levels.
Arrogant Git

Really? That's a very interesting point if it's true. Source?

Mandelson's scheme is a joke because it completely corrupts the idea of a qualification. To an extent, an A in a subject denotes a certain ability in it, a B a slightly lower ability etc etc.

By suddenly bunking grades up, this whole idea is denatured - particularly silly, when universites can just be told to consider applicants with worse grades who went to underperforming schools. ie. There is no real need to up the grades in the first place.
abstraction98
Really? That's a very interesting point if it's true. Source?

Page 41.

It's pretty well documented and sort of obvious (but I did sort of conflate tripos with degree course, forgive me).

It closes up a lot (but not completely) towards the top end, but down towards the lower end there's a massive difference between state school and private school performance at higher education.

And, since that only focusses on state schools v private schools, if you're comparing St Snob's Boy's School to Scumbag Comprehensive in Luton or somewhere similarly ****, you can probably consider the grade difference between 'equivalent abilities' to be higher.

Mandelson's scheme is a joke because it completely corrupts the idea of a qualification. To an extent, an A in a subject denotes a certain ability in it, a B a slightly lower ability etc etc.

By suddenly bunking grades up, this whole idea is denatured - particularly silly, when universites can just be told to consider applicants with worse grades who went to underperforming schools. ie. There is no real need to up the grades in the first place.

But if a course has requirements AAB and you went to scumbag comp and you have (or expect to get) ABB, you're going to have as good adjusted grades as someone with AAB from St Snob's. But you wouldn't be in a position to apply to that course while the public school person would. If you allow the use of the adjusted (fair) score, you can apply to courses more in keeping with your ability.

A-levels aren't like driving tests. They aren't certificates of competence. They qualify you for piss all. They are more indicators of potential rather than anything else. So it seems fair to adjust based on the school someone went to.

So long as we don't reach a point where we are admitting people who can't cope with the course (in which case we should be looking at providing catch-up courses), I'm all for this.
Reply 38
abstraction98
I like your copy and paste.

It's hardly a "little niggle" though. It's a massive problem. I think something needs doing about it, although to an extent it is.

Having said that, these proposals completely corrupt the idea of qualifications and patronise on all levels.

This was not copy and pasta :s-smilie: No where before my post did anyone use the word niggle :wink: Perhaps I was just reiterating a point someone else had made perhaps but I can't help it if I feel the same way as someone else.
Arrogant Git
Page 41.

It's pretty well documented and sort of obvious (but I did sort of conflate tripos with degree course, forgive me).

It closes up a lot (but not completely) towards the top end, but down towards the lower end there's a massive difference between state school and private school performance at higher education.

And, since that only focusses on state schools v private schools, if you're comparing St Snob's Boy's School to Scumbag Comprehensive in Luton or somewhere similarly ****, you can probably consider the grade difference between 'equivalent abilities' to be higher.

But if a course has requirements AAB and you went to scumbag comp and you have (or expect to get) ABB, you're going to have as good adjusted grades as someone with AAB from St Snob's. But you wouldn't be in a position to apply to that course while the public school person would. If you allow the use of the adjusted (fair) score, you can apply to courses more in keeping with your ability.

A-levels aren't like driving tests. They aren't certificates of competence. They qualify you for piss all. They are more indicators of potential rather than anything else. So it seems fair to adjust based on the school someone went to.

So long as we don't reach a point where we are admitting people who can't cope with the course (in which case we should be looking at providing catch-up courses), I'm all for this.

Interesting. It's what I'd expect to be honest from a logical standpoint, particularly with weaker academic grades.

Yes, since that is an average there would probably be more of a difference between two extremes of the spectrum.

I see where you're coming from, but there are other ways of doing this rather than bunking up grades. Why can't universities be advised to consider people with grades slightly lower than those required if those concerned had a poorer education? For instance, this is partly how the Cambridge Special Access Scheme operates.

This method achieves exactly the same as what Mandelson proposes but does not corrupt the idea of grades or patronise on a widespread level.

I think, to an extent, A-levels etc. are a level of competence - at an exam. But you are right, they are used as indicators of potential more than anything else.

Anyway, I like your left wing idealisms. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending