Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for another post like this but i only have 2 weeks and 3 days to come up with a decision. - plz help

I want to take Art into a career... but i also want a wide range of A level options.
    So far, I've picked:
    Art
    Philosophy & Ethics
    English Literature :confused:
    Physics

I feel this is a good mix of options. :cool:
    BUT... I feel that I'll mess up on Eng Lit because it was not one of my strong subjects at GCSE but I feel that I've got potential to do...good. but im not sure if thats just a "need" to want to be good at it.
    I've begun reading just now though, which is kind of late... and i dont want to just shut eng out of mi life yet because i dont know if ill be good at it if i actually 'try'.
    It seems like a massive risk to take Lit at A level.

- Is it a good idea to stick with english... then if i dont like it - change it to Psychology??? :confused:

-Would:
    Art
    Philosophy & Ethics
    Psychology :confused:
    Physics

Be a good selection?

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't know what on Earth they'll be putting on their form come the 27th and 28th!

Personally, I'd rather do Eng Lang as that seems to allow more room for you own creativity. And GCSE English made me hate poetry. However, at my local college Psychology is very popular, I don't know whether that's true with yours. That could affect whether you could swap.

Why are you doing Physics if you don't seem too fussed on it?

ReputationRep:
    wat hav you picked so far?

ReputationRep:
    why not do english combined instead of english lit? it's less "wordy"

ReputationRep:
    If you want to make a career out of art, as long as you have art at A level and a strong portfolio I don't think the rest is going to make a major difference.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say not to do physics unless you're really willing to go in that direction. horrible subject if you don't care for it.

as for english, you could consider English language instead. it's not exactly a cop out or an easier English neccessarily, but from the amount of writing I've seen my friends pour out for english lit while working on The Great Gatsby is just ridiculous

ReputationRep:
    Hmm.. if i pick English Language.... it would have to be instead of Physics.
    Im doing Physics because... well i enjoyed it at A level and i feel I can get a good grade in it.

ReputationRep:
    tbh the subjects you have chosen are too varied, you need to have subjects that relate to each or help each other like history and english because they teach you essay writing skills...doing art, physics is just not the right blend if you want to go into arts y pick physics...you could do philsophy art politics/history

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BibblyBobbly)
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't know what on Earth they'll be putting on their form come the 27th and 28th!

Personally, I'd rather do Eng Lang as that seems to allow more room for you own creativity. And GCSE English made me hate poetry. However, at my local college Psychology is very popular, I don't know whether that's true with yours. That could affect whether you could swap.

:yay:

OP, English Literature at A level is quite difficult if you're not into it, and extremely wordy. Why not something like History?

ReputationRep:
    I dont want to do politics or history. (I havent done history at GCSE)
    And.. well all i really need is Art... the rest dont matter i know that. but... if i pick a good variety, i feel i'll have better chances in my future. do you think that's true?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BibblyBobbly)

I think Psychology is a very popular course at any college - I don't really understand why though; it's not as if it's highly-rated by universities (in comparison to say, the main sciences and English lit) or even leads onto a degree most people want to do. :dontknow:

OP, I'd say do Biology instead of Physics - that's if you're very certain you want to do a science as one of your A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    DON'T do psychology. The subject is less favoured by universities as it is considered as one of the "fruity" subjects. And also if you're doing physics don't take it without maths. If you're likely to take physics at higher education then maths is essential but if you're not considering it then don't bother taking physics - having a range of different subjects would disadvantage you more than it will advantage you, as uni courses often look for good combinations of subjects especially in the science field. You should at least decide whether you want to do something englishy (english, politics etc.) or sciency (science subject, maths, medicine etc.)

ReputationRep:
    how about these:
    Art
    Philosophy & Ethics
    Psychology
    English Language

I know Psychology is probably bad course.. but the only other option there is Eng Lit. the others, i am not interested in.

basically... if not eng lit = its psychology
    if not physics = its eng lang

ReputationRep:
    I would probably do Eng lit instead of psychology just as it's a much stronger subject but do what you think you'll enjoy and will want to do for at least a year.

ReputationRep:
    Just to clarify: do you all think that picking one science (Physics) is a bad move if i want to go into Art? I mean, even if i can get a good grade in it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dipz_108)
    how about these:
    Art
    Philosophy & Ethics
    Psychology
    English Language

I know Psychology is probably bad course.. but the only other option there is Eng Lit. the others, i am not interested in.

This is good, they complement each other well.

ReputationRep:
    Just to clarify: do you all think that picking one science (Physics) is a bad move if i want to go into Art? I mean, even if i can get a good grade in it?
    Not necessarily, check uni requirements and make sure that you have any potential subjects they want otherwise having a science may be a good variation for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMeister)
    I think Psychology is a very popular course at any college - I don't really understand why though; it's not as if it's highly-rated by universities (in comparison to say, the main sciences and English lit) or even leads onto a degree most people want to do. :dontknow:

OP, I'd say do Biology instead of Physics - that's if you're very certain you want to do a science as one of your A-levels.
    As one of my colleagues so wonderfully put it - "Loadsa birds do it and it's a sit off" :rolleyes:

Aye, Biology is probably the friendliest science, seems as you don't seem to be mad on physics. Still will take a bit of work though.

ReputationRep:
    how about these:
    Art
    Philosophy & Ethics
    Psychology
    English Language

Did you like Eng Lit at GCSE is what it boils down to, and does the syllabus for A Level interest you?

An English Langage A Level is a very adaptable qualification and can be used is a shedload of jobs, and isn't exactly a mickey mouse A Level eaither.

ReputationRep:
    no i cant take biology.. its in the same category as Art. and i need art

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.