Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kasphlam)
    :yay:

OP, English Literature at A level is quite difficult if you're not into it, and extremely wordy. Why not something like History?
    Are you looking forward to results day?

The history course seem awful to me, waaaay too modern for my tastes. Give me some Egyptians or Vikings anyday :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    Hmm... I liked Of mice and men at GCSE... but only some of the poems. (though i think i messed up the exam a LITTLE bit)
    The A level Lit course interests me... but im scared that ill get there and think "what have i done?"

Eng lang.... who has done it? and what is it like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BibblyBobbly)
    Are you looking forward to results day?

The history course seem awful to me, waaaay too modern for my tastes. Give me some Egyptians or Vikings anyday :teeth:
    Oh no, my results day's the A level results day, your results day is my birthday. :woo: So glad I didn't do my GCSEs this year.

I found the history course very fun and interesting, personally. The literature course..! I enjoyed the books, but the exam.

I've heard from friends that psychology and English language were similar in the way they were assessed? I took the latter, so I wouldn't know.

ReputationRep:
    Oh no, my results day's the A level results day, your results day is my birthday. :woo: So glad I didn't do my GCSEs this year.

I found the history course very fun and interesting, personally. The literature course..! I enjoyed the books, but the exam.

I've heard from friends that psychology and English language were similar in the way they were assessed? I took the latter, so I wouldn't know.
    Ah. Makes a lot more sense! One of my mate's birthday was September 3rd, so every year his birthday was the first day back!

Aye, exams ruin the whole qualifications process. We'd be better off without them. What books did you do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dipz_108)
    Sorry for another post like this but i only have 2 weeks and 3 days to come up with a decision. - plz help

I want to take Art into a career... but i also want a wide range of A level options.
    So far, I've picked:
    Art
    Philosophy & Ethics
    English Literature
    Physics

I feel this is a good mix of options.
    BUT... I feel that I'll mess up on Eng Lit because it was not one of my strong subjects at GCSE but I feel that I've got potential to do...good. but im not sure if thats just a "need" to want to be good at it.
    I've begun reading just now though, which is kind of late... and i dont want to just shut eng out of mi life yet because i dont know if ill be good at it if i actually 'try'.
    It seems like a massive risk to take Lit at A level.

- Is it a good idea to stick with english... then if i dont like it - change it to Psychology???

-Would:
    Art
    Philosophy & Ethics
    Psychology
    Physics

Be a good selection?
    How do you feel about Mathematics? It would go much better with Physics than any of the subjects that you have chosen. I strongly feel that Physics is not worth doing (for potential univesity applicants) unless it is backed and fits snugly in a nice little box with at least one other science and/or maths (that is just my personal opinion).

Also, bear in mind that Physics is a very difficult subject. The striking contrast between Physics and Philosphy and Ethics may end up confusing you because none of the course content is related at all.

If I was to do Art at A Level in hopes to persue it later on in life I would do highly academic subjects such as Maths, Physics and English Lit/History and put art along in there too. This way I will have a back up plan, and will show that I am fully capable of the more academic subjects.

ReputationRep:
    how about doing a language rather than physics? and i'll advise you to do english literature, the subjects has better credits than psychology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BibblyBobbly)
    Ah. Makes a lot more sense! One of my mate's birthday was September 3rd, so every year his birthday was the first day back!

Aye, exams ruin the whole qualifications process. We'd be better off without them. What books did you do?
    Ouch, gutted for him!

In my first year I did:

Spies - Michael Frayn (Just awful.)
    'Tis Pity She's a Whore - John Ford (A play about incest = )
    Much Ado About Nothing - Shakespeare (Good.)
    High Windows - Philip Larkin (Alright.)

Second year:

Hamlet - Shakespeare (Good.)
    Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte (Good!)
    Birdsong - Sebastian Faulks (Average at best.)
    Ode to the West Wind - Percy Shelley (Shelley )
    And a bunch of WWI poetry/story extracts/play extracts

The syllabus has changed though! For AQA at least. So. The books were a good read, it's just the exams.. Argh! The war exam was unseen text, I found it awful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluemax)
    how about doing a language rather than physics? and i'll advise you to do english literature, the subjects has better credits than psychology
    There are no foreign languages in the option blocks. I studied Spanish at GCSE though.

And yeah i feel i should take English literature... but i think it will get a little too much. im still in a massive pickle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jizzabelle)
    How do you feel about Mathematics? It would go much better with Physics than any of the subjects that you have chosen. I strongly feel that Physics is not worth doing (for potential univesity applicants) unless it is backed and fits snugly in a nice little box with at least one other science and/or maths (that is just my personal opinion).

Also, bear in mind that Physics is a very difficult subject. The striking contrast between Physics and Philosphy and Ethics may end up confusing you because none of the course content is related at all.

If I was to do Art at A Level in hopes to persue it later on in life I would do highly academic subjects such as Maths, Physics and English Lit/History and put art along in there too. This way I will have a back up plan, and will show that I am fully capable of the more academic subjects.
    Thats a good idea i guess... but Philosophy & Ethics is the one course i was really excited about so i want to do that.
    I was also excited about English Literature until my GCSE exam was awful. (i think i still got a good enough grade to take it at A level though)

ReputationRep:
    how about these:
    Art
    Philosophy & Ethics
    Psychology
    English Language

I know Psychology is probably bad course.. but the only other option there is Eng Lit. the others, i am not interested in.

basically... if not eng lit = its psychology
    if not physics = its eng lang
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oh_adele)
    Why?
    I don't know... the people on here seem to have such strong feelings that it's a waste of time. What do you think of it? Do you think I should take it along with Philosophy and Art and .... hmm.. Eng Lang? (still iffy on the Eng Lang).. heck im still iffy on everything except art and philosophy

ReputationRep:
    I'm feeling the same :P

I am planning on taking Further Maths, History and Business Studies. I think Business Studies at A Level may be limiting me though of what I can go on from there.

I've always been sure I want to go into business, but what sector I don't know.

I like hotels, I like publishing, I like consultancy, I like management, I can adapt to most things that have business ideals.

I definitely want to take History, and atleast one maths, if not Further Maths. I am considering English too, but History and English are both essay subjects so it would entail a lot of dedication.

???

:P

I'd try and help you, but I'm just as undecided.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know... the people on here seem to have such strong feelings that it's a waste of time. What do you think of it? Do you think I should take it along with Philosophy and Art and .... hmm.. Eng Lang? (still iffy on the Eng Lang).. heck im still iffy on everything except art and philosophy
    A lot of people on here are also up themselves. Do what's right for you. Have you had a read of the spec? I did it on a whim, but I really enjoyed it. Apparently A2 is more interesting than AS, although I really loved AS. I think passing the exams is basically down to that sort of revision guide stuff (like GCSE science), so if you're good at remembering and recalling lots of info, you'll fly it. You learn a lot of interesting things (like how to manage stress, and how the brain reacts to it. Also, about deprivation/privation. Have you ever seen that documentary about that girl who was brought up by dogs? I think it's on YouTube. That's the kind of stuff you study in that) and lots of other stuff. (This is in AS). As for English, I did Combined English which I really loved, but I'd liked English all of the way through school and really wanted to do it, a lot of the people who just did it for the sake of it, dropped out early, in my class.

Isn't there anything else you really want to do?

ReputationRep:
    lol, has anybody took English Language?? I need to know what it is like?

ReputationRep:
    Ouch, gutted for him!

In my first year I did:

Spies - Michael Frayn (Just awful.)
    'Tis Pity She's a Whore - John Ford (A play about incest = )
    Much Ado About Nothing - Shakespeare (Good.)
    High Windows - Philip Larkin (Alright.)

Second year:

Hamlet - Shakespeare (Good.)
    Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte (Good!)
    Birdsong - Sebastian Faulks (Average at best.)
    Ode to the West Wind - Percy Shelley (Shelley )
    And a bunch of WWI poetry/story extracts/play extracts

The syllabus has changed though! For AQA at least. So. The books were a good read, it's just the exams.. Argh! The war exam was unseen text, I found it awful.
    Yay... incest.... Does your boyfriend/girlfriend/ladyboy/manlygirl have the same surname as you by any chance? :p:

Shakespeare - :mad: I'm more of a Ian Rankin boy myself

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people on here are also up themselves. Do what's right for you. Have you had a read of the spec? I did it on a whim, but I really enjoyed it. Apparently A2 is more interesting than AS, although I really loved AS. I think passing the exams is basically down to that sort of revision guide stuff (like GCSE science), so if you're good at remembering and recalling lots of info, you'll fly it. You learn a lot of interesting things (like how to manage stress, and how the brain reacts to it. Also, about deprivation/privation. Have you ever seen that documentary about that girl who was brought up by dogs? I think it's on YouTube. That's the kind of stuff you study in that) and lots of other stuff. (This is in AS). As for English, I did Combined English which I really loved, but I'd liked English all of the way through school and really wanted to do it, a lot of the people who just did it for the sake of it, dropped out early, in my class.

Isn't there anything else you really want to do?
    Thanks for the info on psychology
    i dont know what else there is i want to do.
    Is it a good idea to have art.. along with 3 essay based subjects? OR do you think ONE science will make it more varied?
    Is varied good? or bad?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the info on psychology
    i dont know what else there is i want to do.
    Is it a good idea to have art.. along with 3 essay based subjects? OR do you think ONE science will make it more varied?
    Is varied good? or bad?
    Look at it like this ... If you spend 2 years doing subjects you hate because you want to get into one of the top Universities to do any subject available, just because you want to go, you'll end up resenting the whole thing, and you'll realise down the line, that you should have just followed your heart, done what you wanted, and gone to a University that was right for you. Don't try to think too far ahead in the future, things change all of the time. If you don't like Science, do not do Science, under any circumstances. I did 3 Essay based subjects and a Design subject like you're planning on doing, not because I thought other people would think good of me, or because it was forced, because I looked at the subjects I'd either experienced and liked or thought looked interesting and would like a damn good crack at and I was happy and comfortable throughout. Remember that Art/Design subjects are A LOT of work to get a good grade, if that's what you want to do, don't pile on the pressure of subjects you don't really like, because when you have to sit up late at night finishing off your Art work, you'll start to resent that, too. Whatever you like and is best for you and what you want to do, is the very best option.

ReputationRep:
    Look at it like this ... If you spend 2 years doing subjects you hate because you want to get into one of the top Universities to do any subject available, just because you want to go, you'll end up resenting the whole thing, and you'll realise down the line, that you should have just followed your heart, done what you wanted, and gone to a University that was right for you. Don't try to think too far ahead in the future, things change all of the time. If you don't like Science, do not do Science, under any circumstances. I did 3 Essay based subjects and a Design subject like you're planning on doing, not because I thought other people would think good of me, or because it was forced, because I looked at the subjects I'd either experienced and liked or thought looked interesting and would like a damn good crack at and I was happy and comfortable throughout. Remember that Art/Design subjects are A LOT of work to get a good grade, if that's what you want to do, don't pile on the pressure of subjects you don't really like, because when you have to sit up late at night finishing off your Art work, you'll start to resent that, too. Whatever you like and is best for you and what you want to do, is the very best option.
    can i ask what you picked?? or have you already told me that sorry if you have.
    And also....
    If i enjoy science (which i did at GCSE) do you think throwing Physics in would be a good move? I know the point of your message was to kinda make me find out what i really want and not care about other ppl.... but thats the problem... i dont know . but the fact u said u did 3 essays and one design really helped

ReputationRep:
    can i ask what you picked?? or have you already told me that sorry if you have.
    English Language & Literature, Media, Psychology and 3D Graphic Design. This year I'm (hopefully) going to read Language and Literature at Sheffield University.

ReputationRep:
    English Language & Literature, Media, Psychology and 3D Graphic Design. This year I'm (hopefully) going to read Language and Literature at Sheffield University.
    I edited before u responded loll, so ill c&p
    "If i enjoy science (which i did at GCSE) do you think throwing Physics in would be a good move? I know the point of your message was to kinda make me find out what i really want and not care about other ppl.... but thats the problem... i dont know . but the fact u said u did 3 essays and one design really helped"

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.