Turn on thread page Beta

The Official Ramadan 2009 Thread!!! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZahraF)
    All the events seem to revolve around alcohol.
    yeah thats the problem...but some muslims must have been before...i'd like to know what they got upto =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by someperson)
    yeah thats the problem...but some muslims must have been before...i'd like to know what they got upto =)
    Most of the freshers events are at clubs or pubs, so maybe they just went and ordered orange juice or something.

ReputationRep:
    why not? I would love to go...but i don't know what there is for muslims to do...
    My freshers week was during Ramadan but thankfully my uni's quite small (and thus was terrible at organising things anyway) and has quite a large Muslim population, so we'd kinda make our own fun/do iftar together etc...i really don't know what it would've been like if i was at another uni tbh...

Try and see what your uni's Islamic Society has got going on that week and/or try and make friends via the society. However, i still don't advise that you isolate yourself from non-Muslims, but for that week ya kinda need to be around people that share the same values otherwise you'll feel kinda lonely :/

If all else fails...come to SOAS! The non-Muslims here are great too, very tolerant lol

ReputationRep:
    Most of the freshers events are at clubs or pubs, so maybe they just went and ordered orange juice or something.
    yeah probably =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpanther786)
    My freshers week was during Ramadan but thankfully my uni's quite small (and thus was terrible at organising things so we didn't have loadsa trashy student nights anyway) and has quite a large Muslim population, so we'd kinda make our own fun/do iftar together etc...i really don't know what it would've been like if i was at another uni tbh...

Try and see what your uni's Islamic Society has got going on that week and/or try and make friends via the society. However, i still don't advise that you isolate yourself from non-Muslims, but for that week ya kinda need to be around people that share the same values otherwise you'll feel kinda lonely :/

If all else fails...come to SOAS! The non-Muslims here are great too, very tolerant lol
    Lol...well i haven't chosen a uni yet (or a course:p: )...but im applying this year. I do sometimes worry, kind of, that there won't be any muslims there lol...but i guess i'll find some in every uni:p:

ReputationRep:
    Lol...well i haven't chosen a uni yet (or a course:p: )...but im applying this year. I do sometimes worry, kind of, that there won't be any muslims there lol...but i guess i'll find some in every uni:p:

Aww, yep you'll definitely find Muslim friends wherever you go. :p:

Tbh, i'm not really a fan of Muslims having only Muslim friends and kinda isolating themselves in the process, but i can understand that it's pretty difficult to have non-muslim mates, as the majority of em do go clubbing & drink etc...but again that's not to say that the Muslims you meet won't do the same...

I did find it quite problematic at first tbh, but Alhamdullillah it only made me strive to become more practicing as opposed to going the other way...you'll always find more good Muslims along the way. It may be easier for you anyway, InshAllah you'll start uni with a stronger iman than i did so the above things won't bother you in the first place

So...any idea on what course you might apply for??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpanther786)
    Aww, yep you'll definitely find Muslim friends wherever you go. :p:

Tbh, i'm not really a fan of Muslims having only Muslim friends and kinda isolating themselves in the process, but i can understand that it's pretty difficult to have non-muslim mates, as the majority of em do go clubbing & drink etc...but again that's not to say that the Muslims you meet won't do the same...

I did find it quite problematic at first tbh, especially cos at the time i wasn't really practicing but then again i didn't drink/go clubbing/dress immodestly etc, unlike some of my muslim mates...so i wasn't really sure where i fitted in. Alhamdullillah it only made me strive to become more practicing as opposed to going the other way...you'll always find more good Muslims along the way. It may be easier for you anyway, InshAllah you'll start uni with a stronger iman than i did so the above things won't bother you in the first place

So...any idea on what course you might apply for??
    yeah i want to make friends with all sorts of people..but some muslims too ofcourse:p: Thanks for the reply =)

Lol i have only about 6 weeks to choose a course, uni and write my personal statement...but i have no idea of what i should do or where.

i want to do a science related degree...but since yesterday i have been looking into comp sci...but i havent made any decisions yet:p:

ReputationRep:
    yeah i want to make friends with all sorts of people..but some muslims too ofcourse:p: Thanks for the reply =)

Lol i have only about 6 weeks to choose a course, uni and write my personal statement...but i have no idea of what i should do or where.

i want to do a science related degree...but since yesterday i have been looking into comp sci...but i havent made any decisions yet:p:
    Good luck with that :p:

ReputationRep:
    Good luck with that :p:
    Haha..thanks

ReputationRep:
    ah the personal statement...took me over 30 drafts to write a new one as i was reapplying, got an offer for my course on results day so just wasted time on my personal statement.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Same :wavey: Are you applying to Oxbridge then?

ReputationRep:
    Secret of Ramadan
    Ramadan from a Scientific point of view.

This is an email was send by a friend of mine.

"many of us feel more relaxed and productive during Ramadan if we do it properly (instead of eating all night and sleeping all day!).

One of the reasons for this has to do with our blood. When we eat, blood goes to the stomach to absorb all of the materials broken down in digestion - that's why if you eat a big meal you feel tired afterwards, because all the blood goes to your stomach. That is why when people have 'hijamaah' (cupping of the blood in traditional medicine) the cupper will get a lot of blood if the person has not eaten, but only a little if he has just ate - the blood all goes to the stomach when we eat.

So, when weare fasting, all of the blood normally sloshing around our intestines is free. A student of advanced (postgraduate) nursing explained to me:

'This is the secret in Ramadan, what they call 'Rohaniah in Ramadan' means feeling relaxed.
    In the normal day the blood pumped to the brain is 900 mills per hour, but in ramadan [fasting] it becomes 1600 mills per hour, 25% more than normal, and the person becomes more active and productive in his work and becomes a good thinker etc. because the blood does not go to the stomach, instead of that it goes to the brain (Sobhan Allah). All of these things will happen if the person eats good things in Maghreb and for Sahoor, but if the person eat a lot, and not healthy food, that will effect him negatively.'

Subhanallah, see how Allah has made fasting in Ramadan obligatory on us for our own health, and how it is the month of thinking and using your brain".

Are you still hungry?? praise god or whole his blessing. ^_^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SyedT)
    Same :wavey: Are you applying to Oxbridge then?
    hahaha...no point wasting a uni choice on oxbridge..i'd never get in:p:

why do you ask?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Flavity)
    hey all you lovely people I just wanted to do a quick little check thing, seeing as we're all muslims in this thread: there seem to be a lot of muslims drinking alcohol at uni, at wherever, it may not be in big amounts or it may well be - i just wanted to see if anyone here actually drinks and can justify doing it... i've had this discussion several times at school and the people can never fully justify it.. surprisingly enough :rolleyes:
    I've stayed away from that rubbish till now,and plan to do so till the end of my life...But I have seen Muslims try and completely fail to justify themselves,just offer a "hmm" or "huh" for an answer
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    hahaha...no point wasting a uni choice on oxbridge..i'd never get in:p:

why do you ask?
    Oh right...I assumed that because you said your application has to be submitted in 6 weeks,which is the deadline for oxbridge/medicine/vet medicine courses...since you don't seem to be leaning towards med/vet med,I thought you might be goin for oxbridge And I'm sure you'd be good enough to apply to oxbridge to be honest

ReputationRep:
    I have to write my personal statement too My college deadline is end of September for all apps. :shifty: :nothing:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by mel0n)
    I have to write my personal statement too My college deadline is end of September for all apps. :shifty: :nothing:
    :eek: September's a bit ridiculous...October's supposed to be the earliest deadline...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SyedT)
    :eek: September's a bit ridiculous...October's supposed to be the earliest deadline...
    September 24th or something is all of ours. Then they get sent off mid October I think. Teachers have already wrote references etc, we've had to make our uni choices and stuff, we just need to finalise personal statements etc (though I am far from it).
    So yeah, they send it off a week or two after they recieve it, I think they make any changed they need to etc beforehand Well I'm guessing anyway :ninja:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by mel0n)
    September 24th or something is all of ours. Then they get sent off mid October I think. Teachers have already wrote references etc, we've had to make our uni choices and stuff, we just need to finalise personal statements etc (though I am far from it).
    So yeah, they send it off a week or two after they recieve it, I think they make any changed they need to etc beforehand Well I'm guessing anyway :ninja:
    I suppose that's alright really,I think the same will probably happen to me as well...you'd better get a move on with your PS,it takes ages to write it(as you probably know),I've been working on mine for a while now,on and off,and I'm still not that happy with it Maybe I'm just weird though :embarrassed:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SyedT)
    I suppose that's alright really,I think the same will probably happen to me as well...you'd better get a move on with your PS,it takes ages to write it(as you probably know),I've been working on mine for a while now,on and off,and I'm still not that happy with it Maybe I'm just weird though :embarrassed:
    No I don't think you're being wierd I think it's just scary. The prospect that the PS carries such a huge weight in the selection process is frightening and therefore you're bound to be slightly worried about getting it right. What are you applying for?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.