Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Official Ramadan 2009 Thread!!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
    I think Ramadan is the 9th month of the Islamic Lunar-based calendar. It's basically a month where Muslims will fast from dawn to sunset.

I think everyone who is able (and over a certain age) is encouraged to fast, because it's one of the pillars in Islam.
    everyone who is able is OBLIGED to fast during this month unless they've got an excuse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sparkzz)
    helo :]
    Erm hi?

ReputationRep:
    I know this is kind of random, but have any of you done the pilgrimage to Saudi Arabia?

I've been watching some of the videos (of the chanting) and it's incredibly inspiring
    Nope I've not done it :no:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jainblu)
    aw thats so cool, that your 'rents went i mean:o:

i didnt know that, about taraweeh bein the night b4 the first fight.. so thats why people said ramadan was after maghrib today :eek:
    Yeahhh that must be why
    And Dad practically spends his whole life at the Mosque tbh, so he's definitely there. I went last year for prayers but I don't know why I haven't gone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hibz123)
    I really did think it was going to be on Friday:sad: Oh well, Ramadhan Kareem everyone
    Ramadan Mubark for you too. ^_^
    May Allah increase our Iman, forgive our sins and make us close to him.
    Ameeeen.

(Original post by lovinit820)
    what does everyone eat in the mornings?
    x
    Suhoor ??
    Anythings.
    The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Have suhoor, for in suhoor there is blessing.”

(Original post by Jainblu)
    ooh bro this sounds really interesting. thank you for posting it.. am going to check it out
    May Allah bless you sister..thanks so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    Erm hi?
    lmao, i looked at ur' profile, your supposed to be stalking me now :]

ReputationRep:
    Huh, I'm confused. There's two Ramadan threads ?

(Original post by mel0n)
    Nope I've not done it :no:
    Oh!

I don't think I know anyone (personally) that has either.. I would love to ask them about their experience.. it looks incredibly brilliant and 'holy'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emily069)
    You can't **** during Ramadan can you?

I would fail at Ramadan...
    You can after sunset/before sunrise.

Although people who can't go without sex would probably fail at Islam in general lol. Unless they're married of course.

ReputationRep:
    This is the Official one.

ReputationRep:
    Oh!

I don't think I know anyone (personally) that has either.. I would love to ask them about their experience.. it looks incredibly brilliant and 'holy'
    My grandad has been about 14 times (both Hajj and Ummrah, different ones) and my grandma has been about 11 times, lol. Mashallah.
    I'll give you their number, innit.

ReputationRep:
    but the one thing i hate about ramathan (and about the muslim/arab calender) is the way its all centred around the moon sightings.

ReputationRep:
    Can you be excused if you're pregnant?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sparkzz)
    lmao, i looked at ur' profile, your supposed to be stalking me now :]
    :hmmm: I'll be nice, it's Ramadan. I'll refrain myself.

(Original post by mel0n)
    My grandad has been about 14 times (both Hajj and Ummrah, different ones) and my grandma has been about 11 times, lol. Mashallah.
    I'll give you their number, innit.
    Wow! That's some dedication :yep:

I would :love: to go, but I think you need to be Muslim (it would help LOL!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrainPleasure)
    Also, is it true some muslims pay their maids extra to do the fast for them, so then they don't actually do it?
    I don't know if it's true - but it certainly isn't permitted Islam

Although if you're really hungry and do end up breaking your fast, or if you cannot fast for medical reasons etc. then you're supposed to give some money to the poor instead. Maybe what you mentioned is a severe misinterpretation of this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheButtylicious)
    Can you be excused if you're pregnant?
    Pregnant women can fast upto a certain point i THINK. Don't take my word for it though. It depends how far into their pregnancy it is or whether it affects the foetus. Correct me if I'm wrong!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emily069)
    You can't **** during Ramadan can you?

I would fail at Ramadan...

Only when your fasting..
    so from sunrise to sunset you can't
    but after sunset you can till sunrise...

ReputationRep:
    No swearing :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Wow! That's some dedication :yep:

I would :love: to go, but I think you need to be Muslim (it would help LOL!)
    LOL you're not Muslim?! I thought you were :laugh: Sorry for my assumption due to you simply posting in this thread!

And yeah Mashallah they're both very dedicated.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.