Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Official Ramadan 2009 Thread!!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Ramadan mubarak, everyone.

I'm looking forward to the next four weeks. =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MR.PINK)
    yes i know muslims shouldnt drink, im askin what the length of the period that a body would sober up, i heard its something like 2 weeks but am not sure, hence asking?
    lol...definitely not 2 weeks.

i have never drank any alcohol, so would not know. But what i mean is a person can pray when they are sober, so they can think clearly etc. The alcohol does not physically need to leave the body.

Hope that has helped =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CMTech)
    ENGLISH!:mad:
    don't be languagist!

ReputationRep:
    yea i read it, the 1st paragraph says its fine to drink, but not get drunk and pray, and then it says its a sin to drink [and i know the 2nd one is right]
    Its not saying that!!.. well thats not what i understand it to be saying. Its basically answering your damn Question. Anyway hopefully you got your answer, and maybe the person who wrote that worded his first line a tad wrong. If you know the 2nd one is right, then stop dwelling on it -_-

ReputationRep:
    I did a couple of days of fasting for the hell of it at uni just because some muslim friends challenged me to it. It wasn't so bad, but a whole month is real commitment. I must also confess that when I was a kid at school I used to torment one of my friends with food at lunch time during this period. I was young and clueless. I hope he forgives me. Good luck .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghanglish)
    I did a couple of days of fasting for the hell of it at uni just because some muslim friends challenged me to it. It wasn't so bad, but a whole month is real commitment. I must also confess that when I was a kid at school I used to torment one of my friends with food at lunch time during this period. I was young and clueless. I hope he forgives me. Good luck .
    looooooooooool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hudzy111)
    Your an idiot you know that? can't believe you just said that. then whats the bloody point of fasting if your gona do that after you break your fast. you're sucha a idiot!!!
    To avoid getting flamed, do not insult
    And when I said I failed, I meant last year, typing error, if i was gonna follow on, I would've said I'm gonna avoid doing that this year.

Even with all those corrections, your still a prick. PEACE.

ReputationRep:
    yea i read it, the 1st paragraph says its fine to drink, but not get drunk and pray, and then it says its a sin to drink [and i know the 2nd one is right]
    the 1st paragraph does not say it is ok to drink, but it tells you what to do if you have drank already. drinking does not make someone a non-muslim, it just makes them a muslim who has sinned. the paragraph acknowledges the fact that even muslims will commit sins (ie drink)

=)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghanglish)

Awww thats so sweet...not sure why though lol.

I remember when some of my friends used to do that to me...i laugh when i think about it now haha.

I'm sure the boy realises that you were young, and so has forgiven you =)

ReputationRep:
    Ramadan Mubarak, everyone.
    Over 12 hours will be pretty difficult, but may you all have the strength to do it. :grin:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liverpool F.C.™)
    I don't know about others but I find it quite fun, waking up early in the morning to eat with your family.
    I find it fun too

I don't usually have breakfast with my family, so its a nice change =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Method)
    Thanks bro. I know that taraweeh are sunnah, but one thing I never understand is, people doing tawaf even during fardh salaah.
    During fardh salah they dont do tawaf, the imam stands in front of the door of the haram. As for tarawih then it is a sunnah prayer, as is tawaf a sunnah act of worship, and people who travel far may prefer to do that first. Tarawih is an easy prayer in that people can pray as much is easy and in their ability

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i_<3_you)
    You certainly have misread : we should fear Allah and avoid His punishment and His wrath, as drinking liquor is a major sin and the one who drinks it is cursed by the Prophet (peace be upon him). did you even read that line?
    :eek: ..... that is all.

Anyway stay strong those who are fasting. I know how hard it is when you are and most others aren't, so you see people eating and drinking all around you.

I did it for a week like two years ago to try it out. Didn't really bother me, I never eat much anyway so didn't feel the hunger that much. The thirst was more the problem as I can't remember exactly when it was but It started like the week yr 11 started, maybe the one after, anyway there were a few quite hot days if I remember right, it was a pretty warm September.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by someperson)
    I find it fun too

I don't usually have breakfast with my family, so its a nice change =)
    Yeah thats true eating together, although still people come and go at different times in ours: family of fussy eaters (except me i eat everything), so people come and eat their own thing, its strange id like together

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amandeep_Psych07)
    I have a few questions, not trying to dig just curious...

1. What does 'Kareem' mean?

2. What does 'Iqra' mean?

3. What's the connection between the Quran being revealed to Mohammed (pbuh) and Fasting?

Kareem- honourable/noble
    Iqra- Read!
    The Quran was revealed to the prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم in this month, meaning revelation began in this month, and the quran was revealed to a place in the lowest heavens from where gabriel would reveal to the prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم. Ramadan is therefore a special month and known as the month of the quran, the month where the devils are tied up, the month where the gates of paradise are open and hell closed, the month where fasting its die is obligatoroy on those who can.

Im surprised to muslim haters sayign thisngs like islam is a religion that supports terrorism. TSR is really bad for this sort of stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musti123)
    Yeah thats true eating together, although still people come and go at different times in ours: family of fussy eaters (except me i eat everything), so people come and eat their own thing, its strange id like together
    you should force everyone eat together now and again =)

by the way i love your name...reminds me of the word for 'mischief' in my language =D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn11)
    To avoid getting flamed, do not insult
    And when I said I failed, I meant last year, typing error, if i was gonna follow on, I would've said I'm gonna avoid doing that this year.

Even with all those corrections, your still a prick. PEACE.
    yeh but what got me angry is the fact you said it would be HARD WITHOUT SEX, DRINKING and ****. What's the point of fasting if ur sayin that??? a muslim doesnt show him/her self in ramadan only.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what I'm going to eat in the morning :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    wag1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adonis)
    wag1
    sup

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.