Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ibraheem dun take that from the plonker, bang him up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kinglrb)
    If you sort it out for a particular subject then it's the research quality for the respective subject. If you go on the general league table, the research quality represents the university as a whole.
    thanks for the reply =)

that's what i thought...but according to the table, Manchester uni's research quality for Computer Science is 3.9. But according to their website its 5

or are they 2 different things?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liverpool F.C.™)
    Ibraheem dun take that from the plonker, bang him up.
    i already did, look at his avatar..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibs137)
    :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    I've been forced to turn avatars off. I hope you're happy SP :hmpf:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Method)
    Same, I couldn't keep on looking at Ibraheem's avy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by someperson)
    thanks for the reply =)

that's what i thought...but according to the table, Manchester uni's research quality for Computer Science is 3.9. But according to their website its 5

On the website they say that it's ranked "5* (the highest grade) from the most recent government Research Assessment Exercise"

The Times may not follow data from the government research assessment, they do their own and rank according to thier own assesment. Thats why the times, the guardian and the complete university guide all have different ranking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibs137)
    Oh skeen, I though that's how he's normal look was.

ReputationRep:
    :yawn:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liverpool F.C.™)
    Oh skeen, I though that's how he's normal look was.
    grammar fail:p:

ReputationRep:
    grammar fail:p:
    :huff:

ReputationRep:
    :hi:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Method)
    sorry...i didn't know it was that powerful:p:

(Original post by kinglrb)
    On the website they say that it's ranked "5* (the highest grade) from the most recent government Research Assessment Exercise"

The Times may not follow data from the government research assessment, they do their own and rank according to thier own assesment. Thats why the times, the guardian and the complete university guide all have different ranking.
    ohh..excuse my stupidity:o:...and thanks for your help =)

ReputationRep:
    My sister just called and said that she will be delivering Iftar to me. :excited:

(Original post by Consilio Et Animis)
    :yawn:
    This is the Jeffrey Archer person I confused for Flavity. :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the reply =)

Times good uni guide explain how they work out the research quality from the table key. I think they're using the same figures but have been manipulated in order to get a ranking.

Research Quality

Overall quality of research based on the new 2008 Research Assessment Exercise (RAE). The outputs of the RAE gave each institution a profile in the following categories: 4* world-leading, 3* internationally excellent and 2* internationally recognised (with another two lower categories). The Funding Bodies decided only to fund research in the higher 3 categories, and directed more funds to the very best research by applying weightings: 4* receiving 7 times the weight of 2*, and 3* receiving 3 times the weight of 2*. These weightings have been used in the tables. As an example, in the calculations used a university with 10% of its submitted research at 4* and 90% at 3* would generate an initial score of 3.4 (i.e. 0.1 x 7 + 0.9 x 3). This represents the first stage of the scoring.

ReputationRep:
    ohh..excuse my stupidity:o:...and thanks for your help =)
    No problem

You might want to check out the wikipedia page, it has alot of information about the university. How much is being invested, different rankings and such.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univers...iversity_today

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mastermind`)
    My sister just called and said that she will be delivering Iftar to me. :excited:

This is the Jeffrey Archer person I confused for Flavity. :teeth:
    I'm too sleepy and hungry to try and make sense of that.
    Flavity?

ReputationRep:
    sorry...i didn't know it was that powerful:p:
    Lol don't you slightly notice it everytime you post?:p:

ReputationRep:
    I thought I was the only Muslim on TSR! That's it, I'm moving forums, I'm off to Stormfront.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Consilio Et Animis)
    I'm too sleepy and hungry to try and make sense of that.
    Flavity?
    Yesterday I was talking to Flavity (she's a member on here) and made a reference to an Archer book...thinking she was you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.