Turn on thread page Beta

The Official Ramadan 2009 Thread!!! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by someperson)
    I try not to listen to music when fasting...but today when preparing food i could hear my neighbours':p:

Maybe you should try listening to nasheeds instead....thats what im planning on doing to kill time the next couple of weeks =)
    No no no. Listen to the Qur'an recitation. It will be in your favour on the Day of Recompense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johnappleseed)
    No no no. Listen to the Qur'an recitation. It will be in your favour on the Day of Recompense.
    Thats true =)

ReputationRep:
    hiiii

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infernalcradle)
    The real reason that music is made haram is due to the possible influence it may have on the person, similarly how alcohol affects a person, music too may affect a person...eg. a slipknot song may make someone want to do drugs/drink etc. Whilst a rap song may eventually may make someone believe it is reasonable to kill someone and "pump them" to do it.....however, if the music has no effect on a person (as it doesn;t on the vast majority of us) then there should be no reason why we shouldn't enjoy music, especially as there are hadiths of the propher (pbuh) asking children to play music for him especially....so HA
    Music is haraam, that is the consensus of all scholars. I've provided some evidence so you judge for yourself.

Hadeeth:
    Spoiler:
    Show

1) Sayyiduna Abu Malik al-Ash’ari (Allah be pleased with him) reports that he heard the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) say: “There will appear people in my Ummah, who will hold adultery, silk, alcohol and musical instruments to be lawful” (Sahih al-Bukhari)

2) Abu Malik al-Ash’ari (Allah be pleased with him) narrates a similar type of Hadith, but a different wording. He reports that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: “Soon there will be people from my Ummah who will consume alcohol, they will change its name (by regarding it permissible. m), on there heads will be instruments of music and singing. Allah will make the ground swallow them up, and turn them into monkeys and swine” (Sahih Ibn Hibban & Sunan Ibn Majah, with a sound chain of narration).

3) Sayyiduna Ali ibn Talib (Allah be pleased with him) reports that the blessed Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: “When my Ummah begin doing fifteen things, they will be inflicted with tribulations, and (from those 15 things He said): “When female singers and musical instruments become common” (Sunan Tirmizi).

4) Abd Allah Ibn Umar (Allah be pleased with him) reports that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: “Verily Allah has forbidden alcohol, gambling, drum and guitar, and every intoxicant is haram” (Musnad Ahmad & Sunan Abu Dawud).

5) Anas (Allah be pleased with him) reports that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give peace) said: “On the day of Resurrection, Allah will pour molten lead into the ears of whoever sits listening to a songstress” (Recorded by Ibn Asakir & Ibn al-Misri).

6) Abu Huraira (Allah be pleased with him) reports that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: “Bell is the flute of Shaytan” (Sahih Muslim & Sunan Abu Dawud).

There are many more narrations of the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give peace) in prohibition of musical instruments and unlawful singing. I have merely mentioned a few here.

Quranic verses:
    Spoiler:
    Show

1) “And there are among men, those that purchase idle tales, to mislead (men) from the path of Allah and throw ridicule. For such there will be a humiliating punishment” (Surah Luqman, V. 6).

The great Companion Abd Allah ibn Mas’ud (Allah be pleased with him) states in the explanation of the word “idle tales”:

“By Allah its meaning is music” (Sunan al-Bayhaqi, 1/223 & authenticated by al-Hakim in his Mustadrak, 2/411).

2) “Those who witness no falsehood, and if they pass by futility, they pass by it with honourable avoidance” (Surah al-Furqan, V. 72).

Imam Abu Bakr al-Jassas relates from Sayyiduna Imam Abu Hanifah (Allah be pleased with him) that the meaning of “falsehood (zur)” is music & song, (Ahkam al-Qur’an, 3/428).

3) “Lead to destruction those whom you can among them with your (seductive) voice” (Surah al-Isra, V.64).

One of the great exegete, Mujahid (Allah have mercy on him) interpreted the word “voice (sawt)” by music, singing, dancing and idle things. (Ruh al-Ma’ani, 15/111).

Musical instruments used for entertainment are unlawful, with or without singing.

As far as songs are concerned if they consist of anything that is unlawful or prevent them from their obligatory duties, they all unlawful. However, if they are free from such things (and they are not accompanied by musical instruments) then its permissable to listen to them. Thats the consensus of all the scholars.

Hope that helped. Allah knows best.

Edit: Btw that hadith you mentioned in which two girls were singing in the presence of the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) and Sayyida A’isha (Allah be pleased with her) cannot justify the permissibility of music.

The Hadith expert, Ibn Hajr al-Asqalani has refuted this claim in length in his Fath al-Bari, 2/345).

Firstly, theses young girls were singing without any unlawful musical instruments and secondly, the content of the song was regarding war, thus perfectly lawful. Also, they were not professional singers as the words of the Hadith clearly indicate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Makaveli_The_Don)
    hiiii
    hi

how was your day?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsy)
    found it really easy

maybe thats cos ive fasted till later beforee!!:p:
    I never thought that you were a muslim...

Cool.

ReputationRep:
    hi

how was your day?
    Good thanks
    and yours?

ReputationRep:
    Good thanks
    and yours?
    Same =D

ReputationRep:
    Thats true =)
    And don't kill your time by doing futile useless thing. Utilise your time by listening to Qur'an recitations, reading the Qur'an or simply remember Allah and fear him, especially on the Day of Taghabun.

ReputationRep:
    :bored:

ReputationRep:
    anyone still here?

=(

ReputationRep:
    anyone still here?

=(
    Me.
    Nearly time to eat

ReputationRep:
    Me.
    Nearly time to eat
    yay im not alone =D

yepp...im hungry already:p:

ReputationRep:
    anyone still here?

=(
    :poke:

:indiff:

ReputationRep:
    protein shake time lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo156)
    :poke:

:indiff:
    hi!

sup?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adonis)
    protein shake time lol
    lol this late/early?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adonis)
    protein shake time lol
    blad
    how much do u bench

ReputationRep:
    hi!

sup?
    :woo:

you?

ReputationRep:
    :cool: :eating:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.