Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Official Ramadan 2009 Thread!!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Playboy King)
    Oh is that how it's pronounced I always say ramadan :sigh:
    My muslim friends must think I'm weird :laugh:
    No its pronounced like that i can assure u ur the one who got it right.

As for suhoor (morning meal) nothing works like weetabix, tasty enough as parathas with eggs are, or if your in the mood chana poori (although my mum will only make it once in the month saying its too long and hard)

Iftar is usaually a bunch of snaks and it has to have pakoras/samosas

(Original post by blank_blank)
    haha! good idea!
    Google tells me it's already been done!

'I'm Out!' :mad:

ReputationRep:
    lol my non muslim friend told me she tried fasting for 1 day last year. she told me 'it was quite hard but not too bad, drinking water got me through it'

i told her that you werent allowed to drink either and she freaked out hahahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yas1791)
    yeh like advent calenders but there is 30 boxes for every day of ramathan lol
    You get them, i bought one form Asda last year, the problem is after like 12 hours of eating, the one tony chocolate they have in the calendar wont do, so it never lasts 30 days

ReputationRep:
    in ramzan i lose muscle
    in ramzan i pray to god

now enough of these freds

ReputationRep:
    in ramzan i lose muscle
    in ramzan i pray to god

now enough of these freds

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
    Google tells me it's already been done!

'I'm Out!' :mad:

oh no, oh well...at least the dream lived on for a whole 2mins, haha

ReputationRep:
    I like fasting, it's kind of fun, and I like the feeling you get at the end of the day when you've done it. I'll try and do as many as I can, I just hope that it doesn't get too hot - I cycle for about an hour a day and when it's hot I get pretty thirsty.

ReputationRep:
    funniest thing about fasting and then breaking your fast is that you are so hungry that you want to eat everything in existance, but your stomach has shrunk so much that you can only eat half of your plate loool

(Original post by blank_blank)
    oh no, oh well...at least the dream lived on for a whole 2mins, haha
    LOL!

I'm off to find something else I can take to Dragons Den...

On a serious note, does anyone know how much the 'opening' times differ based on where you live?

I'm trying to get hold of a calender (Worcester), but I haven't plucked up the courage to go to our local Mosque.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dental)
    I normally pronounce it Ramadhan, Ramadan, Ramzan. I think there are several ways of pronouncing it depending on where your from.
    In Arabic its Ramadan with the d being particularly, its actually a letter which arabs reckon no other languages has, nonetheless as a non-arab i feel a d is about the same, in other languages used by muslims the letter is replaced with 'an easier to pronounce z' eg urdu, hindi, persian, bengali, turkish etc

ReputationRep:
    Food tastes the best in Ramadan =D

ReputationRep:
    yum yum cant wait to eat all the samosas, pakoras, rice etc. (when the fasts broken)

ReputationRep:
    LOL!

On a serious note, does anyone know how much the 'opening' times differ based on where you live?

I'm trying to get hold of a calender (Worcester), but I haven't plucked up the courage to go to our local Mosque.
    Unless u live in a muslim country i dont think openning times of shops would vary in ramadan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yas1791)
    people spell it like ramadan or ramadhan but the dh is pronounced th (like the or that), so to make things easier i spell it ramathan

the whole word is pronounced like:

rum-a-thaan
    Spell the transliteration properly, at least, it looks like it's a much harder sound than it is in reality. Ramadhan does the job very well, tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Woooooo hoooooo! cnt wait, i love this time of the year, its such a rewarding family and friends atmosphere.

Omg woow, ramathan advent calenders sounds soo awsum haha. first ive heard of it.

(Original post by musti123)
    Unless u live in a muslim country i dont think openning times of shops would vary in ramadan
    Thanks

I've looked on the internet (:p:) and it appears that Birmingham and Northampton (example) have different times.. :confused:

Edit: I was on about the end of the fast. Not shops LOL

ReputationRep:
    LOL!

erm, surely the times will be up on the internet..somewhere, i'm sure if you google it, you will find it.

(Original post by dental)
    I recommend that you get the timetable from your local mosque as it will be more accurate to a general area one that you find online.
    I guess I need to pluck up the courage to go and find out..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anatheme)
    Spell the transliteration properly, at least, it looks like it's a much harder sound than it is in reality. Ramadhan does the job very well, tbh.

but in writing dh, people see it more as the 'd' sound as the 'th' sound

so they end up a saying ram a dan

but anyway, who cares, pronounce it how u like:yep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.