Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Official Ramadan 2009 Thread!!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    The Arabic neighbours dropped off some food for iftar yesterday, it was :coma:
    i want arabic food...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    paratha/parantha

http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl...-8&sa=N&tab=wi

I actually call them paratha's but so many people i have spoken to seem to have an 'n' in there, so that's why i wrote it like that lol.
    wow...thats Lahoh in arabic, that i was talking about earlier, its well nice innit? do you sprinkle it with sugar?

what country are you from may i ask?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by someperson)
    my first time

can't sleep...you?
    same:p:

ReputationRep:
    i want arabic food...
    They're so creative :coma:
    There was like, potato slices with mince meat in between two slices, covered in batter and fried.
    And there was some small bitesize like.. rice wrapped in spinach leaves. :coma:
    And a few other things, I want moar. lol.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Prokaryotic_crap)
    why are people up this early?
    Didn't really feel like sleeping...

ReputationRep:
    same:p:
    lol...so what did you have to eat?

ReputationRep:
    wow...thats Lahoh in arabic, that i was talking about earlier, its well nice innit? do you sprinkle it with sugar?

From Pakistan
    And we cann sprinkle it with sugar, but we don't that often :p:
    You can have them on their own, with tea. Or have it as a chapatti replacement, or have it with yoghurt, or eggs or whatever They're quite versatile

What country are you from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    They're so creative :coma:
    There was like, potato sliced with mince meat in between two slices, covered in batter and fried.
    And there was some small bitesize like.. rice wrapped in spinach leaves. :coma:
    And a few other things, I want moar. lol.
    i envy you =P

ReputationRep:
    i envy you =P
    :puppyeyes: Sorry LOL.
    I live in a predominantly Asian area so people are always sending bits of food around, and we often send food around to others too !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SyedT)
    Doughnuts for sehri...hmm,I wouldn't have minded some :cookie:
    SyedT, the Lahoh I mentioned earlier is what mel0n calls parantha btw

ReputationRep:

lahoh and parathas are 2 different things:p:

lahoh is more like a pancake (never tasted it though), but parathas are more like chapattis =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    From Pakistan
    And we cann sprinkle it with sugar, but we don't that often :p:
    You can have them on their own, with tea. Or have it as a chapatti replacement, or have it with yoghurt, or eggs or whatever They're quite versatile

What country are you from?
    I'm Arabic, from Yemen, but lived in London nearly my whole life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    :puppyeyes: Sorry LOL.
    I live in a predominantly Asian area so people are always sending bits of food around, and we often send food around to others too !
    i live in an asian area too..we get lots of pakistani and sometimes bengali and sri lankan food...dont have any arabians here though =(

ReputationRep:
    lahoh and parathas are 2 different things:p:

lahoh is more like a pancake (never tasted it though), but parathas are more like chapattis =)
    well close enough:p:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    SyedT, the Lahoh I mentioned earlier is what mel0n calls parantha btw
    Yeah I read that...I had a feeling we just called them different things,but I've never sprinkled sugar on mine...

ReputationRep:
    well close enough:p:
    lol

ReputationRep:
    lol...so what did you have to eat?
    for iftar?

not much really. broke iftar with couple of jordanian dates, the after prayer, came and hate shurbah [traditional Yemeni ramadhan soup, grey, made from rice (abit like rice pudding but grey in colour and with chunk of mea)], couple of meat samosas, Lahoh, that thing that looks like pasta (i posted a pic a couple of pages back)...thats it really, wasn't hungery much

for suhur?

Meat, Meat, Meat! I'm a meat man. it runs in the males in my family (except my brother who only like pizzas:p: )

I had meat and liver

ReputationRep:
    for iftar?

not much really. broke iftar with couple of jordanian dates, the after prayer, came and hate shurbah [traditional Yemeni ramadhan soup, grey, made from rice (abit like rice pudding but grey in colour and with chunk of mea)], couple of meat samosas, Lahoh, that thing that looks like pasta (i posted a pic a couple of pages back)...thats it really, wasn't hungery much

for suhur?

Meat, Meat, Meat! I'm a meat man. it runs in the males in my family (except my brother who only like pizzas:p: )

I had meat and liver
    wow your iftar meal sounds so interesting:p: the closest ive been to Yemeni food is when i ate at a Lebanese restaurant lol

ReputationRep:
    for iftar?

for suhur?

I had meat and liver
    I remember reading Pizza is derived from an Arabic recipe introduced to Sicily after the Islamic conquest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Method)
    Yeah I also tried to give him hints of deep inhalations but I think he was in own little world. I tried moving back too but the guy behind me kept starting before I could make a move

I sent you some riches, hope they're of some use cos its all I had.
    Thank you, brother! I'll sub you when I get my Paypal sorted.

I've learnt to just pray next to kids; they know better breath-manners and they're too short for me to smell their breath anyway.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.