Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Official Ramadan 2009 Thread!!! Watch

(Original post by blank_blank)
    erm, surely the times will be up on the internet..somewhere, i'm sure if you google it, you will find it.
    I can't find anything specific to where I live. But according to the internet, there are regional differences.

If I'm honest. I think I'm looking forward to the chicken pakoras the most. Our neighbours do some incredibly nice home-made ones! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musti123)
    Unless u live in a muslim country i dont think openning times of shops would vary in ramadan
    lol i dont think he's talking about shops...

ReputationRep:
    lol cant wait for ramzaaaan! i actually look forward to it every year this year guna be hard but inshallah wel get through it ramzan mubarak to you all x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
    I guess I need to pluck up the courage to go and find out..
    why would you need to pluck up the courage for it?

(Original post by someperson)
    why would you need to pluck up the courage for it?
    Because I'm not quite sure of the response I would get.. I think I'm going to pick a quiet time to visit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yas1791)
    really excited think it will be difficult but we will get through it and enjoy it :yeah:

just created this thread to discuss a few things :woo: (and i know there is already a countdown thread but its too general)

who else is excited?!?:eek3:

how difficult do you think it will be this year?:confused:

has anyone ever fasted at this time of year before?:eek: (i havent)

what is the best food/drink to break your fast with? :teeth:

what foods do you traditionally have on the table for your first meal?:cool:

Ramathan Mubarak

also.. does anyone know if and where they sell ramathan advent calenders? i want one so much :awesome:

Break fast with dates
    first meal.....I usually have traditional foods (middle east)
    tbh I am bricking myself thinking about how long it is......it is usually until around 8-9pm :eek: :woo:
    most mosques will give you a calander/timetable if you ask...nicely :yep:

Enjoy it tho

Ramadan Mubarak to all:yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yas1791)
    but in writing dh, people see it more as the 'd' sound as the 'th' sound

so they end up a saying ram a dan

but anyway, who cares, pronounce it how u like:yep:
    رمضان look that the third letter is ض in arabic it is pronounced as a heavy 'd' like u hear on the last word of fatihah when recited 'ضآلين', soo the way to pronounce it is like a heavy d and not like th as in that as u suggested

ReputationRep:
    Because I'm not quite sure of the response I would get.. I think I'm going to pick a quiet time to visit
    what do you mean? why would they not just give it to you? do you not go there at all?

sorry if it sounds like im interrogating you:p:

what do you mean? why would they not just give it to you? do you not go there at all?

sorry if it sounds like im interrogating you:p:
    I don't know. I can't go in and start demanding that someone give me a calendar :p:

I haven't been in there before, I'm not even sure I know where it is.. I think I'm going to have to look it up.

(I'm not a Muslim btw)

ReputationRep:
    16 hours long!! I dont know how I'm going to cope.

ReputationRep:
    saw loads of calenders in a tesco last week, buy 1 get 1 free, but then i realised im not a big fan of bad chocolate,its some company that makes christmas 1s i think, also making 1s for ramadaan with hadeeth and stuff in each box with a chocolate

ReputationRep:

if u know a halal butcher in ur area they usually have ramathan timetables lying around lol, u could possibly slip in there, pick one up and walk out

ReputationRep:
    I don't know. I can't go in and start demanding that someone give me a calendar :p:

I haven't been in there before, I'm not even sure I know where it is.. I think I'm going to have to look it up.

(I'm not a Muslim btw)
    Oh sorry did not know you're not muslim. just curious, why do you want one?

and most (not all unfortunately) mosques will happily give you a calender, no questions asked. if you've never been before then maybe ask a muslim you know to go with you or get it for you =)

ReputationRep:

(I'm not a Muslim btw)
    http://www.ramadantimetable.co.uk/ra...able-uk/london maybe not accurate to the minute, but the sunsets roughly the same time in london as worcester

Oh sorry did not know you're not muslim. just curious, why do you want one?

and most (not all unfortunately) mosques will happily give you a calender, no questions asked. if you've never been before then maybe ask a muslim you know to go with you or get it for you =)
    I think I'm going to try to keep a couple (one atleast). But I want to keep it properly, so I'm going to need the times etc. Plus, I'll be working with Muslims, so it's nice to take an interest.. :yep:

I think I will get someone to accompany me, or it'll be looking for a Muslim butchers for me..

ReputationRep:
    Woop! Good times lol

Aaah i just stuff my face with food during Iftar even though i fully full. Though I do feel the effects when I go lay my bomb ,so this year im definitely cutting down.

Iv also noticed no-one has mentioned the taraweeh prayers? how does everyone find them?
    I personally love going to the mosque for the taraweeh prayers...our mosque is unfornuately located by lots of clubs so on the way back home we get to see all the yobs coming out of the clubs. :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-xTfeIM33k

LOOOL!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabbir.M)
    Woop! Good times lol

Aaah i just stuff my face with food during Iftar even though i fully full. Though I do feel the effects when I go lay my bomb ,so this year im definitely cutting down.
    Eat high fibre food, chanay eat lots of them, as a chaat for breakfast, i used to have similar problems, then i started eating weeatabix, does the trick

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm going to try to keep a couple (one atleast). But I want to keep it properly, so I'm going to need the times etc. Plus, I'll be working with Muslims, so it's nice to take an interest.. :yep:

I think I will get someone to accompany me, or it'll be looking for a Muslim butchers for me..
    Oh that's why

It's always nice when non-muslims around you keep a couple of fasts. Me and my muslim friends often invited each other to end our fasts together, and would also invite non-muslims friends. If you lived in my area (and were female lol) i would invite you round mines:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabbir.M)
    Woop! Good times lol
    Iv also noticed no-one has mentioned the taraweeh prayers? how does everyone find them?
    I personally love going to the mosque for the taraweeh prayers...our mosque is unfornuately located by lots of clubs so on the way back home we get to see all the yobs coming out of the clubs. :eek3:
    Taraweeh love it, especially the imams who recited in a calm medium paced, coz then it feels like the quran is directly talking to u and u can enjoy the voice of the imam, and the beautiful duas u get at the end. The fast-paced ones (and im sure you know what im talking about they recite fatihah in 10 secs flat) not so enjoyable

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.