Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't even want to go into it as I'm not informed a lot. It's just my family's background is so diverse I wouldn't know where to start.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flavity)
    Where did you get this info from? I thought it was purely optional.
    Please go read an Islamic book, it's funny how people coming up to me and say taraweeh is nafl.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsy)
    Oh really.

and why not?
    What theology do you follow, what practices? There has to be one, otherwise you'd have no information about how to pray, fast.

ReputationRep:
    Where did you get this info from? I thought it was purely optional.
    innit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liverpool F.C.™)
    Please go read an Islamic book, it's funny how people coming up to me and say taraweeh is nafl.
    I never said it was nafl. I know for a fact its sunnah. Not obligatory, but preffered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slawaccess23)
    What theology do you follow, what practices? There has to be one, otherwise you'd have no information about how to pray, fast.
    theres a simple test brother. if she just tells us how she says the shahadah im sure that would suffice

ReputationRep:

I am simply a muslim.

Differences in Religious Practice

From this initial question of political leadership, some aspects of spiritual life have been affected and now differ between the two groups of Muslims.
    It is important to remember that despite these differences in opinion and practice, Shia and Sunni Muslims share the main articles of Islamic belief and are considered by most to be brethren in faith. In fact, most Muslims do not distinguish themselves by claiming membership in any particular group, but prefer to call themselves simply, "Muslims."

ReputationRep:
    I never said it was nafl. I know for a fact its sunnah. Not obligatory, but preffered.
    You said optional, nafl = optional.

ReputationRep:
    Is there is absolutely no mosque to go to you can go to one where the majority practice in a Sunni way. I mean, if people pay attention to the way you are praying, then that's not your problem. They should be busy focusing on their own prayers, more than what you are doing, Syed T :p: Of course it will be odd, but desperate times call for desperate measures. Nevertheless, if you prefer praying at him I guess it is your choice :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prokaryotic_crap)
    theres a simple test brother. if she just tells us how she says the shahadah im sure that would suffice

PMed.

Oh and also...I thought it wasn't optional. (tarawee)!!!!

ReputationRep:
    There is a greater reward when reading with congregation than your own, why miss the chance when it can be done.

ReputationRep:
    You said optional, nafl = optional.
    Nah it is a sunnah. But sunnah is not a MUST as you said before.

Spoiler:
    Show
    you've regained your annoying status. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I fail to understand why anyone would not (want to)do it. It's pure laziness (of an excuse).

ReputationRep:
    There is a greater reward when reading with congregation than your own, why miss the chance when it can be done.
    Fair play. I never said I don't do it, just wished to point out that it is not obligatory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsy)
    I am simply a muslim.

From this initial question of political leadership, some aspects of spiritual life have been affected and now differ between the two groups of Muslims.
    It is important to remember that despite these differences in opinion and practice, Shia and Sunni Muslims share the main articles of Islamic belief and are considered by most to be brethren in faith. In fact, most Muslims do not distinguish themselves by claiming membership in any particular group, but prefer to call themselves simply, "Muslims."
    I agree with the bold bit. To an extent. I don't think most Muslims do distinguish themselves as just 'Muslim' though. I think it's not particularly right to class oneself as a certain sect. My family follows the Sunni traditions etc, I admit, but I prefer to just call myself a Muslim ;$ I believe in the same God, I follow the same book. I don't really think following different activities etc makes one person a better Muslim than another (a bit off topic, sorry ;$) But people are so adamant sometimes. I mean the way they ask whether you are Sunni or Shia

But because such a big deal is made of the different sects, it's hard to say you totally don't follow one.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by mel0n)
    Is there is absolutely no mosque to go to you can go to one where the majority practice in a Sunni way. I mean, if people pay attention to the way you are praying, then that's not your problem. They should be busy focusing on their own prayers, more than what you are doing, Syed T :p: Of course it will be odd, but desperate times call for desperate measures. Nevertheless, if you prefer praying at him I guess it is your choice :yep:
    True...but when you hear of people being told to leave mosques,you do tend to be a bit cautious :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    I agree with the bold bit. I think it's not particularly right to class oneself as a certain sect. My family follows the Sunni traditions etc, I admit, but I prefer to just call myself a Muslim ;$ I believe in the same God, I follow the same book. I don't really think following different activities etc makes one person a better Muslim than another (a bit off topic, sorry ;$) But people are so adamant sometimes. I mean the way they ask whether you are Sunni or Shia

exactly. it really angers me. especially the way I've been asked on here; it's like OMG NO WAY YOU HAVE TO BE ONE OTHERWISE GTFO YOU ARE NOT MUSLIM. SIMPLE

it's like wth, sometimes things are a bit more complicated than that especially with my circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsy)
    I am simply a muslim.

We are of course all muslims without labels inshallah, but there are different theologies, and no one can follow multiple theologies.

ReputationRep:
    Fair play. I never said I don't do it, just wished to point out that it is not obligatory.

Is there any confirmed source for this?
    Personally I feel it is obligatory, or at least should be.

ReputationRep:
    We are of course all muslims without labels inshallah, but there are different theologies, and no one can follow multiple theologies.

Sorry but I'm not that deeply informed about the theologies. I do what's required that should be enough. I'm seriously not going to go into this though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up sugar, or salt?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.