Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Offered place at uni and handing in job notice advice needed Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I've been offered a place at uni for september and i will have to leave my full time job( i have already started to look for part time work). My current job has no part time roles and according to the contract I will have to have a 4 weeks notice even though i've been advised that I may not have to work a full 4 weeks and it is at their discretion. I will be handing my notice in tomorrow and want to leave as soon as possible. The reason being I have a lot of things to sort out before uni and I want to leave as soon as possible.

The question is what do i say in the notice. I have only worked 2 months there and I am very please with the uni offer and have accepted it. My family have told me to be honest with them and I have to do what is best for me. How do I go about telling them I will start uni and that I want to leave asap if they would kindly let me?

Do I have anything to worry about?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you have much to worry about. Explain that you are leavibng to better yourself. If they don't understand there is nothing you can do about it. Best to be honest and get it over with when you walk in the door tomorrow morning.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    You're leaving to go to Uni. It's a fair reason.

If they don't like it, who cares, you're leaving anyway!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys for your advice.

Im going to write my notice now and I'm going to put down to leave on Thursday(this coming Thrusday) instead of of the full 4 weeks. Fingers crossed they will accept.

ReputationRep:
    Steal some stuff from your work; if you work in an office pens and paper, a kitchen some knives etc. Just to help with leaving

ReputationRep:
    All your notice needs is:

"Please accept this as notice of my intention to resign from my post at xxxx on xx/xx/xx."

And maybe a line saying thank you for opportunity. If you're leaving on a friday, choose the sunday as your leaving date since you're paid up to then.

You can explain that you've decided to goto uni to better yourself to the manager in person when you hand in the notice.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.