Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    ... to lose 3 stone in 4 months?

Obviously, I'm not talking borderline-anorexic dieting, I'm talking more... is it possible to lose 3 stone in 4 months in a healthy way, which still allows me to have some small vices like a dessert after my Sunday Dinner.

You see, I've already set this year aside for work and earning money, and losing weight before I go to Uni- it's just that my dad is wanting me to lose weight. He says he'll give me £1,000 for losing the weight in that time.

Is it possible or should I be concentrating my efforts on getting him to push back my "deadline"?

Any help would be great.

ReputationRep:
    3 stone in 4 months boils down to 42 lb in 16 weeks which is >2.5lb a week. In short, not likely. (At least not of fat).

You want to hold onto the muscle and burn the fat. 2.5lb of fat is 8750kcal/week energy deficit. You would have to do something drastic to get that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lifeisacookie)
    ... to lose 3 stone in 4 months?

Obviously, I'm not talking borderline-anorexic dieting, I'm talking more... is it possible to lose 3 stone in 4 months in a healthy way, which still allows me to have some small vices like a dessert after my Sunday Dinner.

You see, I've already set this year aside for work and earning money, and losing weight before I go to Uni- it's just that my dad is wanting me to lose weight. He says he'll give me £1,000 for losing the weight in that time.

Is it possible or should I be concentrating my efforts on getting him to push back my "deadline"?

Any help would be great.
    a) your dad sounds pretty mean
    and
    b) I've lost 20 lbs in the last 5 weeks-ish so yeah, probably if you stick with it

ReputationRep:
    thats 16 minimum. more likely to be atleast 21

ReputationRep:
    yes, 2-3 lbs per week is a healthy amount of weight to loose.
    The weight watchers diet is good for this, because it allows you to eat what you want as long as it counted in your 'points' range.

ReputationRep:
    Your dad is a moron.

ReputationRep:
    i think it's worth giving it a try, but it'll be really hard - there won't be any real room for treats i wouldn't have thought, given that you'll have to lose about 2.5lbs a week on average.
    if he sees you're working really hard at trying to lose weight and by the end of the 4 months you're not that far away from losing the full weight he might give you the money anyway?
    although if it were my dad he'd probably "forget" the arrangement and not give me a penny, even if i'd done what he wanted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sidewalkwhenshewalks)
    a) your dad sounds pretty mean
    and
    b) I've lost 20 lbs in the last 5 weeks-ish so yeah, probably if you stick with it

I don't think he's doing it to be mean, I think he's trying to help me- give me an incentive to lose it. He can get mean about me being overweight sometimes but I think his hearts in the right place.

and yeah, I've been on diets before where I lost a lot of weight in a short amount of time but I'm not sure it was healthy the way I did it.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, over 2 lb/week is a bit much. Even 2lb a week is pushing it for most people.

1-1.5 is a much easier/more realistic target.

ReputationRep:
    :yes:

ReputationRep:
    How overweight could you possibly be? What is your height/weight? If your BMI isn't that high it would be pretty difficult.

4 months seems pretty short, unless you were willing to lose a lot of muscle in the process. Is he going to weigh you at the end? It seems very strange.

ReputationRep:
    yes it's possible...but hard work...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Katie*)
    How overweight could you possibly be? What is your height/weight? If your BMI isn't that high it would be pretty difficult.

4 months seems pretty short, unless you were willing to lose a lot of muscle in the process. Is he going to weigh you at the end? It seems very strange.

I'm 14 stone, 5'10"
    Don't know what my BMI is.

ReputationRep:
    2.5 Ib a week is possible but it depends on how much you weigh to start with, very overweight people actually have high BMR's which means weight loss happens quicker than for someone at a healthy BMI.
    Good luck but take care.

ReputationRep:
    Prob not...although you'll start losing weight fast to begin with it will slow down after a few weeks to usually about a 1lb a week and some weeks you gain weight too due to water retention and hormones etc
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Haha, your dad is not mean or a moron, if anything, he is a genius. He probably knows you have the slimmest of slim chances of doing it so is on to a winner.

ReputationRep:
    It took me a year of healthy eating and exercise to lose 3st. Hell, I'd give you a grand if you managed to do it healthily in 4 months lmao.

ReputationRep:
    You could easily do it if you were willing to drop carbs + start lifting

ReputationRep:
    Probably possibly, but I'm pretty sure that the method you use to do that would backfire and cause you to regain weight.
    Try the fitness forum (or similar) for really good ways to lose FAT. This is healthy, long term and won't cause you to regain weight as it requires a lifestyle change, not four months of crash dieting and non-stop exercise

Best of luck Feel free to share the results!

Oh and to add: I think you should tell your dad that wanting you to be healthy would be more helpful than wanting you to shed weight in unhealthy ways :yes:

A link I think might be good (if you've not already visited it) : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...0#post18483260

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.