Turn on thread page Beta

Yet to find a replacement game to Battlefield 1942 watch

ReputationRep:
    I remember playing battlefield 1942 years ago. There were like 64 players online. Range of maps and a great tactical game before hackers came in. COD 2 on the pc was also good for this but not as good imo.

I've got an xbox 360 now. I realise that games can only take 16-18 players max. COD 4 pulls this off nicely but seeing as technology has evolved, surely there must be some games in development for bigger maps with more players. Does anyone know any good army type games with more players, low level of hackers and available/soon to be available on the 360?

Does anyone know how many players COD 6/modern warfare 2 will have on the 360?

ReputationRep:
    Try Battlefield 1943. Its on Xbox Live. Its download only and costs something like £12.

Its basically BF 1942, with a couple of small changes to make it more suitable for consoles. But the game feels and works the same way. The only problem is there are only 3 maps (Iwo Jima, Midway and one other, all the same as in 1942), though I understand EA hope to add some more soon.

You could also try Battlefield: Bad Company. If you have a PC, there are the sequels to BF1942 (BF2142, BF2), but they don't have the same feel as the original.

CoD6 is unlikely to have more than 18 players on the biggest maps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nas7232)
    I remember playing battlefield 1942 years ago. There were like 64 players online. Range of maps and a great tactical game before hackers came in. COD 2 on the pc was also good for this but not as good imo.

I've got an xbox 360 now. I realise that games can only take 16-18 players max. COD 4 pulls this off nicely but seeing as technology has evolved, surely there must be some games in development for bigger maps with more players. Does anyone know any good army type games with more players, low level of hackers and available/soon to be available on the 360?

Does anyone know how many players COD 6/modern warfare 2 will have on the 360?
    If it ever actually gets to the 360, get ArmA 2. Or if you have a decent pc, get it now.

ReputationRep:
    BF1943 has smaller maps so whilst it only has 24 players, you don't really notice that much of a difference from the 64 player maps in 1942. It's a good game, I recommend it.

I was also pleasantly surprised with Battlefield 1943, I just wish they'd made it a full release and included the other theatres aswell as they've managed to pick my least favourite one. I was very sceptical about the three kits versus the BF1942 five kits (or was it six) but it's actually worked out well.

The only thing I'm aware of that's making a big deal out of having lots of players is the 128 player PS3 game.

ReputationRep:
    Battlefield 2 = EPICi spent like 350 hours of my life on that game

ReputationRep:
    oh man, 64 players sounds awesome!
    i never played battlefield though.

but i think games usually consists of 6-12, and then you get a few games which have a match type which allows up to 18. but i havnt seen higher.

ReputationRep:
    How old is BF 1943. You're right tho, BF 2 and modern combat never felt the same. I remember playing BF 1942 on omah beach with 30 team mates banging one flank and two defending the other. It was like a massive run up the hill whilst we were getting bombed and trying to capture the flag. This was amazing back in the day. This was like 7 years ago and then I bought Ghost Recon and it wa slike 6 players each side 1 dude on each flank and rest in the middle lol.

I think only solution is getting a good PC but it's costly and i'm going uni soon so I doubt it'll be worth it for just the holidays. Also, Montemoney you should give a PC 64-128 player army game a go. It's amazing in comparison to consoles.

(Original post by nas7232)
    How old is BF 1943.
    It came out last month for 360 and PS3 and comes out next month for PC.

ReputationRep:
    I miss BF1942. Sigh.

Have you tried BF2? I think FPSs are better on the PC than Xbox, though, but if you're limited to Xbox then BF1943 sounds like a good option.

ReputationRep:
    Ohhh this has brought back good memories now of BF1942!

I have BF2 which is great as well, but I think I might pick up BF1943 now...temptation too much!

ReputationRep:
    BFBC2 = aweosme in my opinion.. i've loved it ever since my first game and i collapsed a building.. i've loved it from that very moment.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 2, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.