Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

problems galore - and then my freind has some news... Watch

OK so i'm having issues at the moment because I'm no longer living at home due to an argument with a parent. I feel i've pushed most of my friends/family away and am becoming slightly depressed. However I'm not one to feel sorry for myself and am positive i will move on from this rough spell.

But then my friend (whos sees me as an elder sister) confided in me and told me that she came back from holiday islamically married because she was somehwat blackmailed into signing marriage papers - her family said if she didnt then she may as well leave because shes an embarassment to them. Out of fear of being left in the country she agreed. She cried for hours to me and doesn't know what to do - I usually am here for her but for once i feel absolutely useless. I know its an islamic marriage so it doesn' count as british but apart from finding help line numbers and researching online - I seiroulsy don't know what to do.

It seems that my poblems are so minute compared to hers and I was just wondering if anyone has any advice or can tell me what they done if they were in a similar position ever.

Shes been with a fellow muslim for two years who is perfect and she really doesn't understand why her parents are forcing her - and not even considering this boy.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    OK so i'm having issues at the moment because I'm no longer living at home due to an argument with a parent. I feel i've pushed most of my friends/family away and am becoming slightly depressed. However I'm not one to feel sorry for myself and am positive i will move on from this rough spell.

But then my friend (whos sees me as an elder sister) confided in me and told me that she came back from holiday islamically married because she was somehwat blackmailed into signing marriage papers - her family said if she didnt then she may as well leave because shes an embarassment to them. Out of fear of being left in the country she agreed. She cried for hours to me and doesn't know what to do - I usually am here for her but for once i feel absolutely useless. I know its an islamic marriage so it doesn' count as british but apart from finding help line numbers and researching online - I seiroulsy don't know what to do.

It seems that my poblems are so minute compared to hers and I was just wondering if anyone has any advice or can tell me what they done if they were in a similar position ever.

Shes been with a fellow muslim for two years who is perfect and she really doesn't understand why her parents are forcing her - and not even considering this boy.

Thanks
    You sound lovely for wanting to help her, but the number one thing is:

You can't fix her. Your friend wants support, someone to understand, someone to listen, they're not expecting you to fix her or to make anything better, just to be there. This is really rubbish for her; I'm not even going to pretend that I know what she can do, but remember she can look for that herself, she just needs your understanding and to have someone on her side. And it sounds like you're already doing that

P.S. Stop feeling guilty for feeling rubbish about your own problems too - it's all relative, and has nothing to do with her problems. Make sure you pay enough attention to yourself.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 13, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.