Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, im looking for a training routine that will tone my abs and just generally bulk me up more since im tall but quite thin. I have never done weight training or anything like that before and just wanted some advice.

Here is some information you might want to take into account
    Male - 16 years old - roughly 9 stone (not sure what that is in pounds) and roughly 5'10-5'11 in height. Could you advise me on specific things and how often I should do them and how long rest should I take.

Many thanks Lu

EDIT: What kind of foods should I eat too

ReputationRep:
    i'm in the same category too. i'd like to bulk up, but i find it very hard to put on weight.

ReputationRep:
    Then your not eating enough. Its honestly that simple.

The type of food is less important than the volume of energy

ReputationRep:
    5x5 is all you need.

ReputationRep:
    5x5? sorry I haven't done any training

ReputationRep:
    5x5 stronglifts, its a program. Though not the one that I would recommend to someone who isnt eating enough. Its got a large volume of lifts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mipegg)
    Then your not eating enough. Its honestly that simple.

The type of food is less important than the volume of energy
    Well I agree that could be the problem, however I do eat fatty foods frequently like chips ect.. but its not putting any weight on, I run and go swimming roughly 1-2 times a week should I just stop doing these and just eat all the time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sato)
    Well I agree that could be the problem, however I do eat fatty foods frequently like chips ect.. but its not putting any weight on, I run and go swimming roughly 1-2 times a week should I just stop doing these and just eat all the time?
    GOMAD diet is good for transitioning from not eating enough to getting the volume in you.

Fatty foods arent always the most energy rich so take that into account too.

ReputationRep:
    To bulk up:

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi...rting_Strength

to get six pack:

http://www.lonkilgore.com/usawrdc/Ab..._Intensity.pdf

Eat lots, GOMAD is helpful... gallon of milk a day if you dont know. Train hard eat lots.

ReputationRep:
    a gallon of milk a day? wouldn't that cause a really bad stomach ache/cramp?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i think its a little over the top a whole gallon but it does work. I prefer to drink quite a bit of milk and eat lots of meat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 7777777)
    To bulk up:

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi...rting_Strength

to get six pack:

http://www.lonkilgore.com/usawrdc/Ab..._Intensity.pdf

Eat lots, GOMAD is helpful... gallon of milk a day if you dont know. Train hard eat lots.
    Very helpful + rep for you, I don't attend a gym, and I have alot of free time at home to do things is there any exercises I can do while at home to help me get a six pack?

Many thanks - Lu

ReputationRep:
    High protein diet and weight training with low reps and high weight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sato)
    Very helpful + rep for you, I don't attend a gym, and I have alot of free time at home to do things is there any exercises I can do while at home to help me get a six pack?

Many thanks - Lu
    If you start starting strength you'll go through 70kg of weights in no time. So unless you have a 130kg olympic set with squat rack, bench etc you'll have to be looking for a gym soon if your serious about bulking up. Depends on what you want!

To get the six pack, check the exercise in the second link i posted.

ReputationRep:
    i have no idea what low reps and high weight means.

ReputationRep:
    I think i'm just going to drink alot of milk and eat meat, as 7777777 suggested. I mean, I only want to gain weight as its embarassing being skinny, and being asked "are you ill? are you ok?". Its just because I have a high metabolism, and I'm an ectomorph or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by epleroyk)
    I think i'm just going to drink alot of milk and eat meat, as 7777777 suggested. I mean, I only want to gain weight as its embarassing being skinny, and being asked "are you ill? are you ok?". Its just because I have a high metabolism, and I'm an ectomorph or whatever.
    How do you know that?

ReputationRep:
    it's quite evident, as i eat alot and find it hard to put on weight. my doctor also told me it may be the case.

i mean, i eat junk food regularly, and i'm always the same weight. i'm also anaemic, and i am on iron pills and vitamin b tablets. they have made me look less ill, bringing colour to my face, but i still have a very small frame of body.

ReputationRep:
    I'm an ecto but i can put weight on if i really try. the more i weight train the more hungry i get as well.

ReputationRep:
    If your anemic then I can tell you that your not eating alot. Most skinny people 'think' they eat alot and put it down to having a high metabolism but simply put this is it. More muscle=higher metabolism, if your skinny (9 stone) you dont have much muscle thus not a high metabolism.

You most likely over-estimate the kcal consumption

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.