Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok.

Bit pointless topic generally I guess but I'd rather get blazed on a forum then looking like a div in the gym askin!

Just wondered if there is a reason, or whether it's just all in my head that different types of dumbells seem harder/heavier or what not.

The thing is, 20kg is 20kg, so the material it's made out of should never really make a difference I'd have thought, if they're both the same width etc.

But some dumbbells I prefer to others and fine them easier. In the gym I'm currently at we have iron ones, as well as them hex ones (kind of rubbery). I find the hex one of the same weight much easier. Why is this? Is it literally just me going kooko, or is it something about the grip?

In my old gym they were plastic ones and I preferred them to the iron as well. Do different types alter performance or anything like that? I mean at the gym i'm at now if have 20kg iron ones, why get hex ones aswell?

Just thought i'd ask.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not really sure... It could be the thickness of the grip ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 7777777)
    I'm not really sure... It could be the thickness of the grip ?
    Yep that makes sense, just thought it was weird that when I was doing a dumb bell press yesterday I made a deliberate move for the hex dumbbells instead of the iron ones. I noticed and just thought wtf, what difference does it make so thought i'd ask.

Do you notice anything like this? Or is it just me. I think I must be having too much rest in between sets to be thinking about this kind of stuff

ReputationRep:
    i noticed this back when I was at the gym with two types of dumbbells too. The Iron ones had a greater circumference grip and it was smooth which is probably the reason why.

ReputationRep:
    Either it's psychological, or they genuinely do weigh different. The weight of DBs is never really that accurate anyway, just near enough

ReputationRep:
    Dimension can affect the centre of gravity. Larger ones will be harder to control than smaller ones for the same weight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Dimension can affect the centre of gravity. Larger ones will be harder to control than smaller ones for the same weight.
    So assumedly then the harder to control ones require greater muscle effort to maintain and therefore will have a greater effect?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rizzletastic)
    So assumedly then the harder to control ones require greater muscle effort to maintain and therefore will have a greater effect?
    Probably. Logic says it would. I don't really know.

ReputationRep:
    In theory, the second moment of inertia of a dumbbell would obviously have an impact on the stability when you consider the system as a simple pivot about the point of grip. The logical extension to this is that to balance the system, you will recruit your proprioceptors much more readily to remedy the instability, giving a perception of more work.

(If the dumbbell is wide, it's gonna be a bit wobblier and you're going to work harder to keep it flat.)

Ostensibly though, given the differential between types of dumbells, this is unlikely to be the most significant contributor. I'd put it down to grip thickness changing your biomechanics slightly, tolerances in manufacture (and perhaps the preference of one manufacturer to skimp), and psychology. Personally, I'd just go with the ones that feel best. If you aren't competing, the number on the side is secondary to the workout you're getting. That said, if you ARE competing, chances are the weights are bang on!

ReputationRep:
    Probs the hex ones are in LBS

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.