Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Basic training routine for a girl? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Looking to lose some weight.
    Is there a certain routine that would be good to do at the gym?
    I go to the gym etc but I mainly stick to the treadmill and rowing machine.

anyone willing to give me a brief outline of what I should be doing at the gym?

thanx for any help!

ReputationRep:
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/art...ody-bible.html

Read. Tired of saying it.

Girls and guys are no different and when their aiming for the same thing (To be 'toned') should train in the same way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cate15)
    Looking to lose some weight.
    Is there a certain routine that would be good to do at the gym?
    I go to the gym etc but I mainly stick to the treadmill and rowing machine.

anyone willing to give me a brief outline of what I should be doing at the gym?

thanx for any help!
    30 minutes treadmill.
    30 minutes cross trainer.
    20 minutes weights (light).
    40 minutes crunches/sit ups.

I'd recommend swimming for losing weight. :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Vicky~)
    30 minutes treadmill.

Why light? Surely you should do as heavy as you can manage to actually push your body.

As for 40 mins of crunches and situps, seems massively gratuitous to me, especially since they do next to nothing

ReputationRep:
    40 minutes worth of crunches and sit-ups. LMFAO. What a dumb idea!

Read Powerlifter's thread here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...0#post18483260 tonnes of useful information in there for women & health/fitness aims.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mipegg)
    Why light? Surely you should do as heavy as you can manage to actually push your body.

As for 40 mins of crunches and situps, seems massively gratuitous to me, especially since they do next to nothing
    I always do light so I won't be sore the next day. It's easier and I like the shape my arms are like now - since that's the exercise routine I use. :erm:

The crunches and sit ups will give you a flat (or flatter) stomach once the fat is gone. :yes: It'll also tone your abs and make exercise (such as swimming) much easier and less rigorous.

ReputationRep:
    30 minutes treadmill.

Seriously, please stop giving fitness advice. You're only embarrassing yourself. :rolleyes:

Check out mipegg's link. HIIT, clean diet and weights is an unbeatable combination. Google stumptuous for good advice on weights for women.

Cardio doesn't have to be complicated - anything HIIT is good. You should be starting off with around 20 minutes and pick whatever exercise you enjoy the most. If you are rowing machines, there are good tips on the Sticky as to proper technique. At a reasonable level of fitness it should be pretty tough going on the abs and legs, to give you a sense of whether you are using it correctly. It's a great cardio exercise because it also strengthens thee core.

Any Qs, ask.

ReputationRep:
    I always do light so I won't be sore the next day. It's easier and I like the shape my arms are like now - since that's the exercise routine I use. :erm:

The crunches and sit ups will give you a flat (or flatter) stomach once the fat is gone. :yes: It'll also tone your abs and make exercise (such as swimming) much easier and less rigorous.

Right....

So basically you pick the most ineffective way to exercise and do that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Katie*)
    Seriously, please stop giving fitness advice. You're only embarrassing yourself. :rolleyes:

Check out mipegg's link. HIIT, clean diet and weights is an unbeatable combination. Google stumptuous for good advice on weights for women.

Cardio doesn't have to be complicated - anything HIIT is good. You should be starting off with around 20 minutes and pick whatever exercise you enjoy the most. If you are rowing machines, there are good tips on the Sticky as to proper technique. At a reasonable level of fitness it should be pretty tough going on the abs and legs, to give you a sense of whether you are using it correctly. It's a great cardio exercise because it also strengthens thee core.

Any Qs, ask.

Do you have a blog? If not you should start one so we can just go 'Look at her, NOW DO IT'.

ReputationRep:
    Right....

So basically you pick the most ineffective way to exercise and do that?
    I've done it for 2 years now. It's kept the fat off and even burned quite a lot off me. I don't think it's ineffective at all.

How are sit ups/crunches ineffective? I do 10 reps of 30 at a time and my abs look great. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:

Any Qs, ask.
    I'm only giving a routine which has worked, and is working, for me. There's no need to be rude. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I've done it for 2 years now. It's kept the fat off and even burned quite a lot off me. I don't think it's ineffective at all.

How are sit ups/crunches ineffective? I do 10 reps of 30 at a time and my abs look great. :rolleyes:
    They build more or less no muscle at all?

What you 'see' in your abs isnt muscle, its tendon and its only there because you have a low BF% and genes which make it stick out.

That and thank god it doesnt, if your doing 40 mins of them and no other core exercises (your abs arent the most important nor biggest muscle in your core anyway) you would be hugely imbalanced.

Simple fact is this, Im betting katie has/would get a better body than you in 4 months easy by doing effective training rather than a cardio overload and poser/magazine exercises.

ReputationRep:
    They build more or less no muscle at all?

What you 'see' in your abs isnt muscle, its tendon and its only there because you have a low BF% and genes which make it stick out.

That and thank god it doesnt, if your doing 40 mins of them and no other core exercises (your abs arent the most important nor biggest muscle in your core anyway) you would be hugely imbalanced.

Simple fact is this, Im betting katie has/would get a better body than you in 4 months easy by doing effective training rather than a cardio overload and poser/magazine exercises.
    Who said I wanted to build muscle? I do sit ups to burn away the fat and keep my stomach flat. :wtf: This is what the OP wants seen as she wants to burn away fat.

ReputationRep:
    Who said I wanted to build muscle? I do sit ups to burn away the fat and keep my stomach flat. :wtf: This is what the OP wants seen as she wants to burn away fat.
    :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/art...ody-bible.html

Read. Tired of saying it.

Girls and guys are no different and when their aiming for the same thing (To be 'toned') should train in the same way
    Thanks for the website!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-pri-x)
    Thanks for the website!
    Sorry if I came across as a little moody. Just noticed I hadnt eaten in a few hours and most times I put stuff like that it just goes completely ignored!

ReputationRep:
    Argh :rant:
    If you stopped doing sit ups for a month and stuck to your 'routine' you would see no changes in your stomach.

I'm giving up.

Do you have a blog? If not you should start one so we can just go 'Look at her, NOW DO IT'.
    Am not really a blogger. But I think you do have a point. :p:

ReputationRep:
    If you stopped doing sit ups for a month and stuck to your 'routine' you would see no changes in your stomach.

I'm giving up.

Am not really a blogger. But I think you do have a point. :p:

Wow, you managed a real response to that. All I could get out of my was a facepalm.

Its easy, some info 'bout you. Exercise, reasons why etc etc. Maybe a pic if you want but its not needed. Good for getting opinions on how your doing etc. That and it'd prove that girls can work just as hard and in the exact same way as guys and get results off it!

ReputationRep:

I'm giving up.
    Sit ups are part of my routine. It strengthens my abdominal muscles which make exercises like swimming much easier. :yes:

I'm glad you're giving up. You're very rude for someone who does not know me at all.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, you managed a real response to that. All I could get out of my was a facepalm.
    Your facepalm made me realise how wrong I was. The reasoning in that post was great. :yes:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.