Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Basic training routine for a girl? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mipegg)
    Its not good is it! When will people learn that muscle is attractive and healthy...

That and, to make things worse, clothes are being made to support this new skinny boy thing. Its bloody annoying.

muscle attractive healthy?...people aren't going to think so for some time..the last time i tried telling people that they should do more lower body exercises..( a lot of women seem extremely scared of well developed thighs:confused: ...so they do nothing!....you gotta love the toothpick leg effect:rolleyes: )...i was told that i had "fat legs"and that they had "too much shape"..:rolleyes: ..oh well....

haha ...i know what you mean..! skinny jeans....skinnier jeans..baby sized t-shirts:rolleyes: ....few more months of this and more people start joining the trend...i'm going to feel like a bloody gorilla...( and i'm not even big..:p: )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennloves...)
    muscle attractive healthy?...people aren't going to think so for some time..the last time i tried telling people that they should do more lower body exercises..( a lot of women seem extremely scared of well developed thighs:confused: ...so they do nothing!....you gotta love the toothpick leg effect:rolleyes: )...i was told that i had "fat legs"and that they had "too much shape"..:rolleyes: ..oh well....

haha ...i know what you mean..! skinny jeans....skinnier jeans..baby sized t-shirts:rolleyes: ....few more months of this and more people start joining the trend...i'm going to feel like a bloody gorilla...( and i'm not even big..:p: )
    I just dont get it. There is nothing better than a well defined athletic body on a girl.

Ah well, people are also good at making excuses 'my bones are size 12 so i cant get any thinner' is one going around at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    I just dont get it. There is nothing better than a well defined athletic body on a girl.

Ah well, people are also good at making excuses 'my bones are size 12 so i cant get any thinner' is one going around at the moment.

haha...big bones!.. love that one..!! some people are of a broader build...but how big can your bones get!...although a toned size 12 body looks better than a flabby size 6 one.....but again..! no-one get that either....also people in my gym...refuse to do HIIT or any sort of interval training..!..i don't get ...people have done it..it works...it takes less time...why not give it a go?..

ReputationRep:
    Right so I havent read some of the most recent posts...I kinda stopped reading when it became an argument between vicky and mipegg lol...

But do crunches and their various relations really not work? How come they are then featured in every workout DVD, les mills and other aerobics classes, etc? I know they dont reduce fat but I thought theyre just meant to be good at "tightening" up once you lose weight via cardio and weights and diet.

Also what about pilates moves like the plank/side plank?

ReputationRep:
    haha...big bones!.. love that one..!! some people are of a broader build...but how big can your bones get!...although a toned size 12 body looks better than a flabby size 6 one.....but again..! no-one get that either....also people in my gym...refuse to do HIIT or any sort of interval training..!..i don't get ...people have done it..it works...it takes less time...why not give it a go?..

I know. People are just scared of new things I think!

ReputationRep:
    I know. People are just scared of new things I think!
    :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by penny_lane89)
    Right so I havent read some of the most recent posts...I kinda stopped reading when it became an argument between vicky and mipegg lol...

But do crunches and their various relations really not work? How come they are then featured in every workout DVD, les mills and other aerobics classes, etc? I know they dont reduce fat but I thought theyre just meant to be good at "tightening" up once you lose weight via cardio and weights and diet.

crunches and situps ...do almost nothing...especially since..most people do it wrong...when done perfectly right they work the muscle like any other exercise..and they help strengthen the muscle ..BUT i've rarely seen people do situps and crunches correctly ..AND there are a lot of other exercises that can do this better..plank /side plank being two of them actually..=)..a lot of yoga/pilates poses are much better for the abs than situps/crunches..
    your abs "show" when you are at a relatively low body fat % ...which is achieved.through fat loss...and since you cant spot reduce..crunches are not the best option...

ReputationRep:

Sorry about that. Just annoys me when people give information that wrong.

They do 'use' your core muscles but your core isnt specifically there to be doing crunches and such, its there to support and hold your body. As such doing exercises where you have to stabilize yourself are much better for improving control and the muscles. Planks are a low intensity version but basically anything where you have to stand up/pull or push on an angle (and your body isnt supported) will engage your core and work it.

ReputationRep:

Hey, I'm new to this threat but reckon I might be able to help a bit...
    Crunches aren't the best way to get a FLAT stomach if that's what you're after. The best things to do are things like planking or better still, lie on all fours, engage your core muscles and push upwards so your knees are 2cm away from the ground, hold until failure, 5 reps. Pilates is AMAZING for stomach work – on a dance course I did a class every day for 2 weeks and noticed results so quickly – more so than doing crunches like I used to.
    If crunches are more accessible/simpler for you than tackling pilates (which gets a bit too in-depth sometimes) then do them with the soles of your feet together, knees out to the side, relaxed. Remember to engage your pelvic floor muscles and exhale to come up, inhale to come down. Keep the natural curve of the spine and don’t come up higher than until your bra strap part of your back leaves the floor. Most importantly, look down just to check you don’t have a ‘rectus bulgus’ – where the central part down the middle of your stomach sticks out. This wont result in a flat tummy, just a bulky one. If you do crunches like that then you’ll work the whole stomach esp the lower stomach, and not just the upper abs (which is what crunches do).

I did not realize I knew so much crap about sit-ups… hopefully that makes sense? I do a lot of stomach work for my dancing and it seems to work for me.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry about that. Just annoys me when people give information that wrong.

They do 'use' your core muscles but your core isnt specifically there to be doing crunches and such, its there to support and hold your body. As such doing exercises where you have to stabilize yourself are much better for improving control and the muscles. Planks are a low intensity version but basically anything where you have to stand up/pull or push on an angle (and your body isnt supported) will engage your core and work it.
    Sorry for the typical "does this sound ok?" post but you seem to know a lot about training

I've just started going to the gym- I gained about a stone during my first year at Uni, which I'd like to lose and tone up a bit! So, this is what I've been doing;

20mins HIIT (running/walking)
    Lunges and squats with weights
    Using the shoulder & chest press and lat pull down machines
    The rowing machine to warm up/cool down

Does the above sound like it'd be reasonably effective if done daily?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SadDucky)
    Sorry for the typical "does this sound ok?" post but you seem to know a lot about training

I've just started going to the gym- I gained about a stone during my first year at Uni, which I'd like to lose and tone up a bit! So, this is what I've been doing;

20mins HIIT (running/walking)
    Lunges and squats with weights
    Using the shoulder & chest press and lat pull down machines
    The rowing machine to warm up/cool down

Does the above sound like it'd be reasonably effective if done daily?
    You do all that in 1 day? Wow.

I prefer to keep HIIT and weights on separate days as I find either the HIIT runs me out of energy so I lift lighter or my muscles are so buggered I cant really run much! If you can shoulder and chest press with free weights it would be better. Lat pulldown, is fine as it is though. Personally I hate lunges but if you can do them then go for it! If you can get a deadlift and row (bent over or pendlay) in there it would be helpful too

Maybe split it up so its like

Monday: HIIT
    Tuesday: Squat+lunge+chest press+lat pulldown
    Wed: Maybe HIIT, maybe day off. Depending on how good your recovery is
    Thursday: Squat+deadlift+shoulder press+row (if you can, if not lat pulldown)
    Friday: HIIT

Then use the weekend for whatever you want, if your trying to lose more fat then maybe another HIIT session. If building muscle then a 3rd weight session a week, if your recovery is bad then 2 days off out of the week is never a bad thing too though

ReputationRep:
    Personally I hate lunges but if you can do them then go for it!
    why do you hate lunges?..don't like the feeling in your knees after?..

ReputationRep:
    why do you hate lunges?..don't like the feeling in your knees after?..
    I feel all the (tendons? Ligaments?) in my knees just not liking them. Its quite painful so I figure I'll just avoid it!

ReputationRep:
    I feel all the (tendons? Ligaments?) in my knees just not liking them. Its quite painful so I figure I'll just avoid it!

are you sure you're doing it right?..(stupid question to ask you...but you never know:p: )...because lunges are great for the lower body:yes:

ReputationRep:
    are you sure you're doing it right?..(stupid question to ask you...but you never know:p: )...because lunges are great for the lower body:yes:
    I know their good and honestly I cant tell you if I am or I arent. I dont think I can cope with much more lower body work though, between squatting and deadlifting heavy 3 and 2 times a week respectively and climbing (surprisingly hard on your legs, need to maintain tension on far away holds and such) twice a week I get enough!

ReputationRep:
    I know their good and honestly I cant tell you if I am or I arent. I dont think I can cope with much more lower body work though, between squatting and deadlifting heavy 3 and 2 times a week respectively and climbing (surprisingly hard on your legs, need to maintain tension on far away holds and such) twice a week I get enough!

ah..! fair enough!!

ReputationRep:
    oh and thanks for the rep..:p:

ReputationRep:
    You do all that in 1 day? Wow.

I prefer to keep HIIT and weights on separate days as I find either the HIIT runs me out of energy so I lift lighter or my muscles are so buggered I cant really run much!
    Yep, I've been at it for about a week and I'm starting to realise that doing all the above in one day + studying + generally functioning will be impossible! Doing alternate days for weights/HIIT sounds much more sensible

I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying the HIIT, getting up in the morning and going for a run is actually rather nice! The weights area at my local gym is hilarous though, it might as well be cordoned off with signs reading "MAN area" :p:

How many months do you think it will take to see a noticeable difference in fitness/general appearance? I'm not particularly bothered about weight; I'd much rather remain at my current weight but be a lot more toned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SadDucky)
    Yep, I've been at it for about a week and I'm starting to realise that doing all the above in one day + studying + generally functioning will be impossible! Doing alternate days for weights/HIIT sounds much more sensible

I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying the HIIT, getting up in the morning and going for a run is actually rather nice! The weights area at my local gym is hilarous though, it might as well be cordoned off with signs reading "MAN area" :p:

How many months do you think it will take to see a noticeable difference in fitness/general appearance? I'm not particularly bothered about weight; I'd much rather remain at my current weight but be a lot more toned.
    If you get squatting, deadlifting and bench pressing hard (at your limit every time you do it) and keep up with the HIIT with a decent diet (dont be scared to over eat one day if you've worked hard at the gym. Your body needs the nutrients to fix itself) then it's surprising just how quick you can make a difference.

You'll probably notice your muscles getting a bit more firm and skin taughten up in a month-2months?

And unfortunately that is true, most gyms weights areas can be best described as 'a huge **** flail' in my friends words. Just ignore them and squat harder than they do!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.