Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm 19 years old, I'm STILL in college about to start my second year of A Levels, having failed AS twice due to ill health, and I really need to get a job. But I'm trying in every high street store, and I'm never getting accepted as they probably seem me as some dumb, uncapable person, who hasn't even finished college. I really need the money to help pay rent, bills etc, and I have no idea where the hell to look for work, and most importantly WHERE to work. I have NO expperience in working, except the crappy Year 10 work experience thing, that only lasted 4 days. It's just confusing as they say they can't employ me as I have no experience, but how can I gain experience when no one ever employs me?

Also, I can't claim Jobseeker's Allowance as I'm still in full time education, and the Job Centre jobs all ask for experience or something. Plus, I live by Heathrow Airport, and as though that may sound like I should be in a hotspot for jobs, it's extremely hard as many people from abroad are quickly grabbing them.

I don't know what to do, please help me!

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, you can't claim JSA if you're in full time education.

Secondly, just look everywhere. Drop your CV in every store/pub/restaurant you can find and ask them to keep it on file. Although you haven't got any work experience, don't give up hope - we all have to start somewhere! Even if it is the crappiest job ever, take it and build up your experience. Don't worry about people thinking of you as stupid, because in the work place such as a store or restaurant nobody cares how many GCSEs you have or how academic you are.

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried a call centre? It's mind bogglingly boring work but they don't usually ask for work experience, and once you've worked there for a while you can boast work experience in customer relations, which should be good enough for better jobs in shops.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiritedAway)
    Firstly, you can't claim JSA if you're in full time education.

Secondly, just look everywhere. Drop your CV in every store/pub/restaurant you can find and ask them to keep it on file. Although you haven't got any work experience, don't give up hope - we all have to start somewhere! Even if it is the crappiest job ever, take it and build up your experience. Don't worry about people thinking of you as stupid, because in the work place such as a store or restaurant nobody cares how many GCSEs you have or how academic you are.
    That's true, thanks. But I can be really shy with new encounters, I'm much more myself after a few days of knowing a person, but I guess I'll just have to overcome it. I've been going to stores, and saying "Hi, do you by any chance have any job vacancies here?", and before I've even finished the sentence, they're getting ready to say "no". Makes me feel a little self-concious, like am I coming across as weird or something? But I will keep trying and handing them out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deutsch_Beth)
    Have you tried a call centre? It's mind bogglingly boring work but they don't usually ask for work experience, and once you've worked there for a while you can boast work experience in customer relations, which should be good enough for better jobs in shops.
    Hmm, I haven't tried searching or jobs in that sector, but I'll try. I really need a boost of confidence though, I keep thinking I have some sort of speech inpedement, because I tend to rush my words, or talk all quiet. But thanks for the advice!

ReputationRep:
    Make sure all your friends/relations know you're looking for a job, so they can look out for you as well. I'd also try a lot of restaurants/pubs and such, as they often need people for the weekends. I'd make sure to ask every single employed person you to ask if their company/whatever isn't in need of anyone.
    Good luck on finding a job - I really know how hard it is. Getting rejected all the time can make you feel insecure, but just keep in mind that it's hard for everyone, especially now. Just keep on trying and you'll find something

ReputationRep:
    I've been along with a couple of people around town, handing out their CVs etc, with no success at all- a method which I, personally, feel is somewhat inefficient.
    Instead, when I wanted a job, I looked for part time vacancies (as I'm also doing my A-levels this year) that were in available in my proximity and applied for them, with much success.
    Good luck in your search for a job!

ReputationRep:
    Also one more tip - in about 2 weeks all pubs and restaurants and shops will be looking to replace their student workers going off to university - you should have more luck then.

ReputationRep:
    you've just got to keep going and keep trying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by epleroyk)
    That's true, thanks. But I can be really shy with new encounters, I'm much more myself after a few days of knowing a person, but I guess I'll just have to overcome it. I've been going to stores, and saying "Hi, do you by any chance have any job vacancies here?", and before I've even finished the sentence, they're getting ready to say "no". Makes me feel a little self-concious, like am I coming across as weird or something? But I will keep trying and handing them out.
    I know exactly how you feel! Before I started working I was the most timid person ever, since working however, it has made me become so much more confident! Just remember, that they too once did the same thing, and if they do say no, tell them that you will leave your CV with them :yep:.

ReputationRep:
    sign up to an agency that wil lsend you to a factory or something, build up some experience that way

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.