Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Could somebody try and clear this up for me, I'm a little confused.

    As a non-law student, when should I start to apply for a training contract and vac scheme? I gather all this is done in the final year of your course, however, surely I should be able to do a vac scheme before I apply for a TC???

    Basically it's a question of timing, when does a non-law student apply for a TC and Vac Scheme?


    IIRC you apply for Vac Schemes in the summer of your second year and TCs during your final year.

    Though you should research the profession during the summer of your second year. You could apply for some Vac Schemes at this time. Most firms restrict non-law students to doing Vac Schemes in their final year (usually doing them over Xmas/Easter), but many do not. Its worth applying for a few Vac Schemes in your second year to get good experience at writing applications and doing interviews; plus it will give you two bites at the Vac Scheme Cherry.

    http://www.lawcareers.net/Solicitors...e/Default.aspx has a useful timeline

    As a non law student you need to apply for TC's and VC's in your final year of study. This is because TC's recruit 2 years in advance - you apply in your final year, then do your conversion, then your LPC and then start your training contract - this will all be outlined in the application procedure of the firm you are applying to.
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.