Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Including American poilicies, people culture etc.

Here are some quotes on America that you may agree/disagree with. Click on the spoiler if you want to know who the quote is from (perhaps you can try and guess who said it before you click the spoiler).

1.“America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.”
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Oscar Wilde

2."In America, It brought you the hamburger, Well America you know where, You can shove your hamburger
    And don't you wonder, Why in Estonia they say, Hey you, Big fat pig
    You fat pig, You fat pig"
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Morrissey:rofl:

3. "I just want to say this. I want to say it gently but I want to say it firmly: There is a tendency for the world to say to America, "the big problems of the world are yours, you go and sort them out," and then to worry when America wants to sort them out."
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Tony Blair

4."There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured by what is right with America”
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Bill Clinton

5."There's the country of America, which you have to defend, but there's also the idea of America. America is more than just a country, it's an idea. An idea that's supposed to be contagious."
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Bono

6.“America is a mistake, a giant mistake.”
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Sigmund Freud

7."America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Abraham Lincoln

8."Half of the American people have never read a newspaper. Half never voted for President. One hopes it is the same half."
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Gore Vidal

9."We are called the nation of inventors. And we are. We could still claim that title and wear its loftiest honors if we had stopped with the first thing we ever invented, which was human liberty."
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Mark Twain

Give your views on America and the quotes.

Which quote is your favourite? And yes I defend my inclusion of quote no.2 lol.

ReputationRep:
    On the whole, I dislike their politics. It's far too right-wing for me.

I adore their geography though. It's such a shame that we lost that land, because damn.

ReputationRep:
    They all generalise too much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inspirations have I none)
    3. "I just want to say this. I want to say it gently but I want to say it firmly: There is a tendency for the world to say to America, "the big problems of the world are yours, you go and sort them out," and then to worry when America wants to sort them out."
    I think that there's more than a grain of truth in this.

ReputationRep:
    It's a fantastic place to discover. I find myself wanting to return time and time again. It's the birthplace of most of the most recognisable companies of the world. It's such a diverse and beautiful country. It boasts some of the world's best cities.

However as I recognise that its social policy is years behind that of mainstream Europe, I don't think I could ever live in America.

ReputationRep:
    “You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.”
    Winston Churchill

ReputationRep:
    I like America as a whole. Still a dream but I hope that when I'm older I'll be living there - obviously will need to look more into that when the time comes but from what I've seen it's a great place.

ReputationRep:
    I think Americans themselves are very close minded, rather ignorant people (I don't mean this offensively, for the most part anyway). A lot of this is to do with the **** news reports they get from tv stations. They're all fed this mindless crap which gives them the urge to watch "XXX WORLD'S (even though it's only America's) MOST WILDESTEST COP CHASES NO. 73 XX EXTREME". They are friendly and nice people, though they don't open up to the outside world or Europe. They all buy 10 4 x 4s with 5.5 litre engines or whatever, which they think is normal. As far as the British-American relationship is concerned, most Americans wouldn't have a clue what you're on about. They need to integrate themselves more into other parts of the world, rather than stay in their own secluded area paranoid about every other country which may hold a nuclear weapon, despite them having like 50 times more weapons.

Also this idea of "we're in America man, land of liberty bla bla", aren't most other countries the land of liberty too? Plus we don't sign something saying we believe in human rights and then set up some huge place to cause excruciating torture to 'terrorists' with the only evidence being that they're muslim.

The American people are nice; but I have this feeling that through tv they're being fed this crap which dumbs their brain and makes them unaware of what America actually does and why they're hated so much. They need to open up a little more to the rest of the world and stop exploiting other countries. The country itself is beautiful though.

ReputationRep:
    America rocks. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I would love to live there again, such a fantastic way of life that I really miss.

However.. god damn they're stupid.

ReputationRep:
    They think their country is the best in the world and the most perfect place you could ever live. :shifty:

Apart from that, I like America and would love to live there one day :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely stunning country, from what I've seen. One I intend to visit and explore in my time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roots)
    “You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.”
    Winston Churchill
    That would have been no.10. I was thinking of including it but I couldn't be bothered as 9 is enough.

ReputationRep:
    America is the *** that should 've been swallowed.

ReputationRep:
    Ooh, I actually got one of the quotes right.

ReputationRep:
    I just wanna bang the hot chicks over there, that's it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vander Beth)
    Ooh, I actually got one of the quotes right.
    which one? The most famous quote I think is no.8.

ReputationRep:
    it is the greatest country in the planet. end of.

ReputationRep:
    Well the stereotype that TV tells me most of them adhere to, of course :p:
    Fat, Ignorant, Stupid, Violent, Homophobic, Gun-loving, bible-belting, baby-pageant-queening stange people.

Actually, all the Americans I know are really lovely, well educated, sensible people. But I have a fear that these people and others like them make up farr too little of the general population :no:

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

i don't agree with it all but i found it funny.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.