Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inspirations have I none)
    which one? The most famous quote I think is no.8.
    The one from Clinton's inauguration speech.

I like Oscar Wilde's quote the best.

ReputationRep:
    Their politics are a little too ring-wing for my liking. Geographically, it's a beautiful place and the people too can be very friendly (although a little on the dim side). I love quotes 3, 5, and 8. I'd much rather emigrate to Canada, though. :blush:

ReputationRep:
    I love america and i'd go live there if they only had the nhs or something like that.

I don't like the death penalty thing either,or the fact you need to be 21 to drink.. but I reckon for a semester out i'll go to the university or california and live the dream ha

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I forgot about the whole everyone being able to own a gun thing too

Actually, i'll stick to europe ehe

#5 by far.

While America originally was a country founded on genocide and conquest, what it has come to represent, a place for anybody regardless of colour or religion to go to, that's what i love about America. The idea that all humans can be equal, in this one place on earth. Infact, i think the fact that the country was founded on genocide and conquest, the annihilation of the local peoples, that allows this to be the case!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amii_G)
    Their politics are a little too ring-wing for my liking. Geographically, it's a beautiful place and the people too can be very friendly (although a little on the dim side). I love quotes 3, 5, and 8. I'd much rather emigrate to Canada, though. :blush:
    Canada's a fantastic place. Beats USA hand down lol.

You liked bono's quote? That was my least favourite as I thought it was a bit corny.

Funniest quote is no.2 by Morrissey (can anyone guess the song without searching the quote in google). Bit of a silly song, I bet it pissed off quite a few of his American fans, lol.

Best quote for me is the one by Twain, no.9

ReputationRep:
    people are right about the political side of america being too right wing. Only in that country would the president spending 1 trillion on healthcare be more controversial than if he war to spend it on nuclear warheads or other military stuff. the fact that some see affordable healthcare as "evil"

I love America, firstly in terms of geography it is so superior to anything in the UK and probably the whole of Europe - you have the oldest trees in the world, the grand canyon, mountains, ice, desert, forests with cool animals like bears, there's lovely beaches and some less well known but pretty states such as Maine.

There's enough space for everything to be big which I also like, like the roads, and big food portions is always good as well. For those who say America is too right-wing, they just focus on liberty more than equality, compared to the UK.

I also made good friends with a bunch of Americans at university and they're not narrow-minded, stupid, racist or ANY of the common stereotypes.

ReputationRep:
    My favourite of the quotes is this...

"There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured by what is right with America”

Because it's true.

There is much wrong with USA, but there's a damn lot that's right with it too, but the UK media shows you the wrong rather than the right.

Unless anyone on TSR (who isn't actually American) has actually lived in the USA, or has spent a considerable amount of time here, I don't think anyone can truly claim to know what it's like or to have an unbiased opinion of the country.

Yes there are ignorant, arrogant, dumb, obese, gun-toting, and Bible-bashing Americans. However there are many Americans who are none of these things.

Is Britain solely made up of binge-drinking yobs? Of course it isn't. Well the USA isn't made up solely of the stereotypical Americans.

And yes, I know I often say I can't wait to move back to the UK next year, but that's only because I miss the UK. If I had to stay in the USA, it wouldn't be the end of the world, it's not that bad.

ReputationRep:
    Meh.
    Don't like their politics.
    Don't like the way they believe they are the only country with 'liberty' and freedoms.
    I could say a lot more but won't bother...

Like their movies though....

ReputationRep:
    If America had never existed the scene in my sig would never have happened.

ReputationRep:
    Annoying, stupid, obnoxious and loud.

ReputationRep:
    Beautiful country. Shame about the majority of the people.

ReputationRep:
    the people are generally friendly, but I'm not a big fan of American culture. I also think in terms of American policies, America is clinging onto ideas of Imperialism, trying to maintain it's position as the top world power, but these days Imperialism is dead, and as countries we should learn how to cooperate with each other.

ReputationRep:
    Their foreign policy is much to be desired and yet I have met and talked to many many decent yankee doodles who are far cleverer than many of the knuckle dragging morons who have insulted them and their nation.

ReputationRep:
    Obama is fiiiiit. :coma:

That's all I like about the US! :o:

ReputationRep:
    In America:

1) For about 200 to 300 k USD you can get a property that would quite easily go for about 5 x that amount here

2) Everything on the whole is generally cheaper (although they don't have an NHS system)

3) They have a cool culture and lots of others try to copy them/their style

4) Most of the films in UK box offices are American, and they have produced some impressive (including those that incorporate amazing technology) films that are distributed world wide

5) The accents on the girls are hot

6) They love British accents

7) Their architecture is really well developed, and it's generally an up market sort of place (Check out Orlando or Kissimmee, Florida)

Woo

ReputationRep:
    There is a lot wrong with America. There is also a lot wrong with all other countries too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Annoying, stupid, obnoxious and loud.
    When was the last time you went? And where to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForeverIsMyName)
    When was the last time you went? And where to?
    I haven't, I just know too many Americans. Hey, it's just my 'view' could be, and probably is completely wrong.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.