Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Not all Americans are ignorant and not all Brits are tea-drinking snobs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shadowplay)
    I don't agree with you at all. America has had the potential to be the best country in the world, after WW2, but kind of lost it with the OMG COMMIES and "Do you speak European?" and "Is that a spaghetti sauce (when I said where I'm coming from) and all the wars and racism and food and bad schools and religious maniacs.

I do agree you have some great universities, but it ends there.

Considering you are enlisting in the American army, you will probably never change your opinion. We'll see how your mum feels if she sees you in a casket, because of a war in Wherever, while you are spreading "democracy". Brainwashed is the word that goes hand in hand with Americans.

Thank God you have Obama for the time being and you won't be going to any wars for a couple of years.
    The point your making is somewhat valid, but that comment was way too personalized. The fact that you have enough hatred in your mind to say something as awful as that invalidates all of your criticisms of Americans as aggressive. I might accept such a cruel comment if, perhaps, your family had been killed in the Iraq war - or even if you had any remote experience with war yourself - but clearly you do not.

But the ignorance of your post does not stop there. First of all, you are just as brainwashed as the people you're criticizing if you fall for the neo-liberal ******** point that Obama is a pacifist. I'm sure you've listened to one or two of his speeches and got wrapped up in his billion-dollar campaign about "change we can believe in," but your political knowledge ends there. Obama recently wen around Europe to ask leaders to send MORE troops to Afghanistan. While he has been somewhat successful in getting troops out of Iraq, he is only slightly less of a middle-east warmonger than his predecessor. Also, it doesn't really matter who the president is, the political climate will continue to be "maintaining a strong hand in the middle-east" for years to come.

Second of all, while America has many brainwashed phillistines, it also has the most radical and ardent opponents of imperialism too, such as Howard Zinn and Noam Chomsky.

Overall, your generalizations about America/Americans make you come accross as a brainwashed neo-liberal and you disgust me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yell.Create.)
    The point your making is somewhat valid, but that comment was way too personalized. The fact that you have enough hatred in your mind to say something as awful as that invalidates all of your criticisms of Americans as aggressive. I might accept such a cruel comment if, perhaps, your family had been killed in the Iraq war - or even if you had any remote experience with war yourself - but clearly you do not..

Now how do you know that, darling? The USA bombed the country my parents are from 10 years ago because of NOTHING, so yes, I do know something about war. I actually lived through one, if you believe it. You, on the other hand, haven't, and obviously need an entertainment in your life.

And I don't hate Americans. I do have some American friends. I hate ignorant Americans. And to me, enrolling in the US Army is plainly ignorant and brain-washed. Now go recite your pledge of allegiance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shadowplay)
    Now how do you know that, darling? The USA bombed the country my parents are from 10 years ago because of NOTHING, so yes, I do know something about war. I actually lived through one, if you believe it. You, on the other hand, haven't, and obviously need an entertainment in your life.

And I don't hate Americans. I do have some American friends. I hate ignorant Americans. And to me, enrolling in the US Army is plainly ignorant and brain-washed. Now go recite your pledge of allegiance
    First of all, I'm a British citizen, and second of all while I am actively against the American government and its actions -more so than anyone I know - I still stand by my calim that your comment was inflammatory.

But, since I understand you're more than just another neo-liberal drone, I will take back my inflammatory comment to you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.