Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

woman makes mans life hell from false claims Watch

ReputationRep:
    how can anyone do this ?

ReputationRep:
    Some people are very bitter and very twisted.

Althogh people like this damage chances of actual rapists getting sent down. No doubt Olivia thingy will be here soon enough to tell us about this...

ReputationRep:
    They should have the right to remain anonymous until the verdict.

ReputationRep:
    Its people like her that make it even more difficult for actual victims of rape to be taken seriously.

ReputationRep:
    This is hardly responsible reporting but that's wholly unsurprising given its origin. False rape claims comprise an estimated 3% of all reported rapes yet only one in twenty claims ever result in a conviction. This does not justify the media coverage given to cases like this. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    It took 8 minutes! I'm psychic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    They should have the right to remain anonymous until the verdict.
    They should be anonymous until the trial is finished because it's Innocent until proven Guilty in the eyes of the law but in the eye's of the public in cases of rape it's normally Guilty until proven Innocent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    False rape claims comprise an estimated 3% of all reported rapes yet only one in twenty claims ever result in a conviction. This does not justify the media coverage given to cases like this. :mad:
    The key word there is estimated. There's no way of knowing for sure how many people who plead not guilty are innocent, so your statistic is basically just an educated guess.

While I do agree with the comment on irresponsible reporting (everyone knows the Mail love to sensationalise false rape accusations), I also think it's just as bad to go brandishing made-up statistics as though they're solid facts.

What that lady did was terrible, though. I think it's right that she got a custodial sentence for the harm she's caused to genuine rape victims.

ReputationRep:
    This is hardly responsible reporting but that's wholly unsurprising given its origin. False rape claims comprise an estimated 3% of all reported rapes yet only one in twenty claims ever result in a conviction. This does not justify the media coverage given to cases like this. :mad:
    So, out of 100 rape claims, 5 result in a conviction, yet you claim only 3 could be considered 'lies'? If there wasn't enough evidence to convict 95 out of the 100 rapes, then how on earth can you justify such a statistic with any sense of conclusiveness.

ReputationRep:
    I heard the FBI did a study on it and it was more like 20pc. This could be incorrect, of course, but so could 3pc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spanghew)
    The key word there is estimated. There's no way of knowing for sure how many people who plead not guilty are innocent innocent, so your statistic is basically just an educated guess.

While I do agree with the comment on irresponsible reporting (everyone knows the Mail love false rape accusations), I also think it's just as bad to go brandishing made-up statistics as though they're solid facts.

What that lady did was terrible, though. I think it's right that she got a custodial sentence for the harm she's caused to genuine rape victims.
    She got a custodial sentence because of the harm done to the victim. That people such as yourself are accusing her of 'harming' potential rape victims is inconsequential and should not signify. No one should/will call into question the legitimacy of a rape claim because of this womans actions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by History-Boy)
    They should be anonymous until the trial is finished because it's Innocent until proven Guilty in the eyes of the law but in the eye's of the public in cases of rape it's normally Guilty until proven Innocent.
    Hardly. The appalling conviction rate doesn't support this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeterGriffin)
    I heard the FBI did a study on it and it was more like 20pc. This could be incorrect, of course, but so could 3pc.
    The FBI is in the US.

ReputationRep:
    She got a custodial sentence because of the harm done to the victim. That people such as yourself are accusing her of 'harming' potential rape victims is inconsequential and should not signify. No one should/will call into question the legitimacy of a rape claim because of this womans actions.
    Hey - you were the one making comments about irresponsible reporting. If this woman's story isn't going to have any impact on future trials, then your original point doesn't hold up.

ReputationRep:
    How can you know whether the conviction rate is "appauling" without having super-human knowledge of who is guilty or innocent?

Anyway - he said "in the eyes of the public" which is totally true. People don't give you the benefit of the doubt if you're a suspected rapist.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe not in actual legal terms, but its true in society.
    The guy was suspended from his job despite the fact he was innocent. To me, that is judging someone as guilty, then him having to prove his innocence.
    I bet he won't mind being seen on CCTV now though!

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't say that all are proven innocent, I was just saying that the public see the person being accused as Guilty until their proven Innocent or confirmed as being Guilty, Insead of seeing the person being accused as Innocent before proven Guilty

ReputationRep:
    Hey - you were the one making comments about irresponsible reporting. If this woman's story isn't going to have any impact on future trials, then your original point doesn't hold up.
    My original point was that too much emphasis is placed on these cases, when there are too few to justify it, and not enough on the deplorable conviction rate.

ReputationRep:
    My original point was that too much emphasis is placed on these cases, when there are too few to justify it, and not enough on the deplorable conviction rate.
    If it's not going to influence future trials (which is your point not mine), then it doesn't matter how much emphasis they put on those cases.

ReputationRep:
    If it's not going to influence future trials (which is your point not mine), then it doesn't matter how much emphasis they put on those cases.
    It won't influence future trials but it does influence public perception of rape, which is highly important in determing whether a victim comes forward.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.