Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

woman makes mans life hell from false claims Watch

ReputationRep:
    Get real Olivia, the low conviction rate for rape is purely because the 'victim' is so drunk she cant remember if she said yes or no.

Rapes where women were grabbed in an alleyway when they were walking home and forcibly raped are pretty clear cut cases.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    It won't influence future trials but it does influence public perception of rape, which is highly important in determing whether a victim comes forward.
    If victims aren't coming forward because of the public perception of rape, that's affecting future trials in a pretty big way (ie. they're not happening).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimothy)
    So, out of 100 rape claims, 5 result in a conviction, yet you claim only 3 could be considered 'lies'? If there wasn't enough evidence to convict 95 out of the 100 rapes, then how on earth can you justify such a statistic with any sense of conclusiveness.
    Just because there isn't enough evidence to convict someone or even find someone, doesn't mean that it didn't happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spanghew)
    If victims aren't coming forward because of the public perception of rape, that's affecting future trials in a pretty big way (ie. they're not happening).
    That's very different from affecting the outcome of a trial.

ReputationRep:
    I think she should be made an example of .

ReputationRep:
    That's very different from affecting the outcome of a trial.
    How?

If the outcome of a trial was negatively affected because of stories like these, it would be bad, because rapists would walk free and unpunished.

If rape victims were too scared to come forward in case people thought they were lying, it would be bad, because rapists would walk free and unpunished.

ReputationRep:
    How?

If the outcome of a trial was negatively affected because of stories like these, it would be bad, because rapists would walk free and unpunished.

If rape victims were too scared to come forward in case people thought they were lying, it would be bad, because rapists would walk free and unpunished.
    It would be worrying if the outcome of a trial was influenced by a newspaper article. I'm thinking about the situation in regards to our legal system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rlw31)
    Just because there isn't enough evidence to convict someone or even find someone, doesn't mean that it didn't happen.
    And she completely misses the point.

Grats.

ReputationRep:
    It would be worrying if the outcome of a trial was influenced by a newspaper article. I'm thinking about the situation in regards to our legal system.
    Yes, it would be worrying, but I suspect that the human beings behind the legal system are as influenced by the media/public opinion just a little bit.

Just to check - you are aware that you've been arguing that false rape accusations don't harm real rape vitims - yes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimothy)
    And she completely misses the point.

Grats.

No I didn't, just because there's a low conviction rate doesn't mean the percentage she quoted was wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rlw31)
    No I didn't, just because there's a low conviction rate doesn't mean the percentage she quoted was wrong.
    The point was that if there isn't enough evidence to secure a conviction in 95% of cases, how can there be enough evidence to know that only 3% are false claims? Sure it could be right, but it could also be totally wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it would be worrying, but I suspect that the human beings behind the legal system are as influenced by the media/public opinion just a little bit.

Just to check - you are aware that you've been arguing that false rape accusations don't harm real rape vitims - yes?

I'm saying they shouldn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    The point was that if there isn't enough evidence to secure a conviction in 95% of cases, how can there be enough evidence to know that only 3% are false claims? Sure it could be right, but it could also be totally wrong.
    Because as with other crimes, it's only ever recorded as false when there is proof that the crime did not take place. Just because no one can be convicted, doesn't mean that it didn't take place.

ReputationRep:
    Judges must name and shame that b*tch for wrecking his life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rlw31)
    Because as with other crimes, it's only ever recorded as false when there is proof that the crime did not take place. Just because no one can be convicted, doesn't mean that it didn't take place.
    Yeah I agree. Has anyone said otherwise?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Yeah I agree. Has anyone said otherwise?
    Well, if that's what that Gimothy thought, than he wouldn't have brought the low conviction rate into the equation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rlw31)
    Well, if that's what that Gimothy thought, than he wouldn't have brought the low conviction rate into the equation.
    I don't think that's what he was trying to get at. He was saying that if in 95% of cases there isn't enough evidence to convict someone of rape, how can there be enough evidence to know that only 3% of those are actually false claims?

Most of the time rape cases fail to get a conviction because there just isn't enough evidence to know either way. In a small number of cases (perhaps this is where the 3% come from) it is obvious that it was a false claim, but in the rest we just can't know either way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    I don't think that's what he was trying to get at. He was saying that if in 95% of cases there isn't enough evidence to convict someone of rape, how can there be enough evidence to know that only 3% of those are actually false claims?

Most of the time rape cases fail to get a conviction because there just isn't enough evidence to know either way. In a small number of cases (perhaps this is where the 3% come from) it is obvious that it was a false claim, but in the rest we just can't know either way.
    I thought he meant actual recorded false allegations.

ReputationRep:
    The judge said there were people who felt 'there is no smoke without fire' and, while he was completely innocent, they would believe there was some truth in the allegations.
    The judge is a moron saying something like that. Unless he has proof he shouldn't be saying something like that because it will just make things harder for him.
    He was cleared of any wrong doing and it was proven it was all a lie, but still people will attribute his name and face to this case.

Yet although having no proof and despite him being cleared, the judge says "well he probably instigated it and egged her on."

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    The FBI is in the US.
    Whats that got to do with anything? Its not like people in the US are a diffrent species.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.