Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

woman makes mans life hell from false claims Watch

ReputationRep:
    I think it's getting to the stage now , that they either make the man accused of rape anon until conviction or they as a deterrent make the name of scum like this known to members of the public. I know the argument is that releasing the mans info means other women can come forward to help the police but the concequences of malicious false allegations for a man are immense.

A family member of mine (not me) had to move twice due to a false allegation made by a girl.That in the end the girl admitted she made up because she was getting married. Once people find out you have been accused of rape whether it's true or not , would you blame them for not wanting you in the street? How about friends finding out.Threats made by her boyfriend and pals. Luckily for him it never had much media exposure but the damage on his good name was done.

If he had his name trashed when he did nothing wrong, why can't she?I would love to name her.

And Harriet Harperson wants to look at making convicting easier. Will we see men like my family member languishing in prison because of scum like that girl not being able to be faithful to her partner? I think if she has her way blokes will have to never ever have sex with a girl unless she is stone cold sober and you have been dating for months so you know their mental state. Would you gamble your future?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D3M!)
    I think she should be made an example of .
    Outed in the Daily Mail in my opinion with a commentary by Littlejohn and Platell .They would love it Perhaps we could every six months or so have a lying scum exhibition and publish names and photographs of such women? I am sure the Mail would sell a few more copies.

ReputationRep:
    She seems pretty messed up -- she is the reason why rape victims will one day be the one on trial (metaphorically speaking), because they won't be taken seriously enough. I mean it said she has accused previous men of raping her, so obviously she thinks that she can get away with it, so it's good that she got locked up :yep:. I do agree with the idea of people being anonymous until found guilty though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    My original point was that too much emphasis is placed on these cases, when there are too few to justify it, and not enough on the deplorable conviction rate.
    Alternatively, if 95% of cases remain unconvicted then maybe 95% of cases weren't rape?

If you actually care about deplorable conviction rates look at those for sexual abuse against men.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ministerdonut)
    I think it's getting to the stage now , that they either make the man accused of rape anon until conviction or they as a deterrent make the name of scum like this known to members of the public. I know the argument is that releasing the mans info means other women can come forward to help the police but the concequences of malicious false allegations for a man are immense.

A family member of mine (not me) had to move twice due to a false allegation made by a girl.That in the end the girl admitted she made up because she was getting married. Once people find out you have been accused of rape whether it's true or not , would you blame them for not wanting you in the street? How about friends finding out.Threats made by her boyfriend and pals. Luckily for him it never had much media exposure but the damage on his good name was done.

If he had his name trashed when he did nothing wrong, why can't she?I would love to name her.

And Harriet Harperson wants to look at making convicting easier. Will we see men like my family member languishing in prison because of scum like that girl not being able to be faithful to her partner? I think if she has her way blokes will have to never ever have sex with a girl unless she is stone cold sober and you have been dating for months so you know their mental state. Would you gamble your future?

This is terrible. I think it is becoming easier for women to think that they can accuse men and get away with it, just for some compensation or money.

There was a girl at my school who accuse a teacher of inappropriate behaviour, which even when he was found innocent had a massive impact on his life - he could no longer be housemaster, and although he is still teaching will probably not be able to go to another school because of the effect the accusation has had on his name.

Obviously we don't want to put off real victims of rape from reporting the crime, as it is horrendously under-reported anyway, but there should be harsher punishments for those who falsely accuse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeterGriffin)
    Whats that got to do with anything? Its not like people in the US are a diffrent species.
    They have a different judiciary system, a potentially different social perception of rape and different cultural factors. You cannot talk about rape in the UK and use US statistics; it is misleading and inaccurate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    The judge is a moron saying something like that. Unless he has proof he shouldn't be saying something like that because it will just make things harder for him.
    He was cleared of any wrong doing and it was proven it was all a lie, but still people will attribute his name and face to this case.

Yet although having no proof and despite him being cleared, the judge says "well he probably instigated it and egged her on."

:rolleyes:
    the judge isn't the one who believes that there's no smoke without a fire. He's just saying that there will be other people who still think less of the falsely accused guy, because he was involved in something like this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rlw31)
    No I didn't, just because there's a low conviction rate doesn't mean the percentage she quoted was wrong.
    You're right, there is a very low chance that the wholly unjustified assertion she made is right.

I'm not going to bang my head against the metaphorical brick wall that is you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    Hardly. The appalling conviction rate doesn't support this.
    The conviction rate has more to do with 'burden of proof' requirements (rape is generally his word versus hers), poor evidence gathering, delay between crime and report (natural instic to shower = evidence lost) and the perceptions of the general public about behaviour (she had been drinking/she was wearing a short skirt/out clubbing ergo she was 'asking for it' - and I'm not condoning these perceptions!) than the action of women like these - although admittedly it doesn't help.

ReputationRep:
    This happens all the time, I can't believe you are surprised. If you want to break up with a woman she can take your kids and get you put inside even if you haven't done anything wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Referee)
    The conviction rate has more to do with 'burden of proof' requirements (rape is generally his word versus hers), poor evidence gathering, delay between crime and report (natural instic to shower = evidence lost) and the perceptions of the general public about behaviour (she had been drinking/she was wearing a short skirt/out clubbing ergo she was 'asking for it' - and I'm not condoning these perceptions!) than the action of women like these - although admittedly it doesn't help.
    Not many people think women who dress provactively and get wasted are asking to be raped. I think the point is that when they do get raped they deserve less sympathy than someone who drank a responsible amount and got a licensed taxi home then got raped at her doorstep. Assuming both rapes had the same brutality to them I would expect both cases to achieve similar sentences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    Not many people think women who dress provactively and get wasted are asking to be raped. I think the point is that when they do get raped they deserve less sympathy than someone who drank a responsible amount and got a licensed taxi home then got raped at her doorstep. Assuming both rapes had the same brutality to them I would expect both cases to achieve similar sentences.
    This is what I was trying to get at (and not quite managing it) - the perception that her actions/dress etc contributed to/exacerbated her situation by maybe giving a bad impression.

Ah heck...I'm not explaining this well

ReputationRep:
    This is what I was trying to get at (and not quite managing it) - the perception that her actions/dress etc contributed to/exacerbated her situation by maybe giving a bad impression.

Ah heck...I'm not explaining this well
    Well would you feel equal sympathy for a person who left their car unlocked on a bad estate and got it stolen, as you would someone who locked their car with an imobiliser in a garage? I wouldn't, but i'd expect an identical sentence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    Well would you feel equal sympathy for a person who left their car unlocked on a bad estate and got it stolen, as you would someone who locked their car with an imobiliser in a garage? I wouldn't, but i'd expect an identical sentence.
    Actually I would feel the same sympathy (even if I did think they were a prize idiot - which is what you were getting at).

I would also expect an identical sentence, but in the case of car theft the victim isn't judged...in rape cases they still are (unfortunately).

ReputationRep:
    Actually I would feel the same sympathy (even if I did think they were a prize idiot - which is what you were getting at).

I would also expect an identical sentence, but in the case of car theft the victim isn't judged...in rape cases they still are (unfortunately).
    I think everyone who is the victim of a crime is judged if they haven't taken any steps at all to prevent said crime. Sure it shouldn't happen, but it does and that is our society, to be negligent of this fact makes me feel less sympathy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.