Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

It just makes me so depressed. Everything is materialistic; money money money. They've basically stopped me from going to college because I have to pay a £20 admission fee (for handling/updating my offers and stuff), they pretend to be divorced (and I don't really know if they are married anymore) to get more money, they both live in different houses to get more money, and I actually dunno my legal address anymore (for more money.) They'd rather choose money over my well-being.

I just can't take it anymore. They think love is just so materialistic, and everything else just silly and a waste of money. When I was depressed/suicidal a year back, they said "It's just a waste of money." They won't take the cats to the vet when they're ill (which is just ******* wrong). I'd happily get a job, but they're aren't any free.

I feel like running away from it all and starting up a new life, but I know that'll never happen.

What about your parents?

ReputationRep:
    Are your parents quite well paid? I'm just wondering whether these are working or middle class people, i'm verging on middle class.

Sounds bad either way. Let them know that you would prefer their love than just material possessions. Some things are more important than money.

They're working class.

ReputationRep:
    If you're not materialistic why don't you sell some of your stuff to get the money for college?

ReputationRep:
    So they have money troubles and you're annoyed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by George231086)
    i'm verging on middle class.
    lol you can't verge on middle class. you're either one or the other

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roberto_Ferrari)
    lol you can't verge on middle class. you're either one or the other
    I meant from reading the post, in my mind i was verging towards picturing them as middle class. I had a picture of people that had money but were still trying to hoarde and bleed the system.

Oh well, no point in asking here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Oh well, no point in asking here.
    Your immediate problem is getting money for college. Is there anyone that could give you the money? Is there anyone that you can talk to who would have a better chance of changing your parents' minds? Maybe an uncle, grandparent etc etc. How about a teacher, could they not talk to them? Maybe your school has a fund that could help you?

Other than trying to get the money for administration, then trying to get ema, there isn't much you can do to change your parents outlook on life.

Try to get into college and get through that, then try to do well and go to university. It is the quickest way to get out of there. Otherwise you'll have to get a job, which probably won't pay enough to move out.

Hopefully this is some help.

ReputationRep:
    They told you being suicidal was a waste of money?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by George231086)
    Your immediate problem is getting money for college. Is there anyone that could give you the money? Is there anyone that you can talk to who would have a better chance of changing your parents' minds? Maybe an uncle, grandparent etc etc. How about a teacher, could they not talk to them? Maybe your school has a fund that could help you?

Other than trying to get the money for administration, then trying to get ema, there isn't much you can do to change your parents outlook on life.

Try to get into college and get through that, then try to do well and go to university. It is the quickest way to get out of there. Otherwise you'll have to get a job, which probably won't pay enough to move out.

Hopefully this is some help.
    Ok, thanks. Should I request for a bursary form or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    Ok, thanks. Should I request for a bursary form or something?
    Yes. I'd take a look at their website or try to contact somebody who is in charge of the course. Ask them whether there is any assistance available. If they say that there isn't, then maybe ask if you can pay it bit by bit. I know some colleges have hardship funds and i could imagine that if you show the potential to be a good student they'll try their best to help you out.

If all else fails, tell your parents that this is the only expense and that you'll get ema when you start. You could even promise to pay them the £20 back from your ema if they lend it to you.

Hope it turns out ok for you. You really need to get to college and go to uni if you want to escape them. Getting a **** job isn't the way out.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 9, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.