Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can you explain the hazard perception test please? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have my theory test booked for tomorrow and have been practicing with the gazard perception dvd today but am a bit unsure of it really...

Do you click for each hazard just once? Or as it changes? e.g. a woman is walking out to her car *click* and the car then indicates *click* and then pulls out in front of you *click* ??? Or just once for the woman?

The dvd keeps pointing out potential hazards but I am never sure whether you were meant to click for them. E.g. when approaching a blind corner on a country road do you click because there could be a pedestrian around the corner, or do you only click when you actually see them?

As far as I understand, you should click at any junction / roundabout, if you see pedestrians, cars pulling out, parked cars in your way. Is there anythig that I have missed?

Thanks for your help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Nonsense)
    Do you click for each hazard just once? Or as it changes? e.g. a woman is walking out to her car *click* and the car then indicates *click* and then pulls out in front of you *click* ??? Or just once for the woman?
    You are right you should click for all of them as they are all possible hazards which could cause you to (as a driver) to some other action. You will only get marked for one of these hazards but it is good practice to click for all of them. You wont get penalised for overclicking unless you tap it down every second or something silly like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaccyG)
    You are right you should click for all of them as they are all possible hazards which could cause you to (as a driver) to some other action. You will only get marked for one of these hazards but it is good practice to click for all of them. You wont get penalised for overclicking unless you tap it down every second or something silly like that.

ok, thanks

and what about the blind corner thing? Do you know if a blind-corner on its own (ie. without someone in the road) is a hazard by itself. So should you click on approaching the blind corner. Thanks for your help - much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    There is a really detailed 5m video which explains these things before you sit your test. It explains the point-scheme and when to click.

When I did mine, I clicked when I saw a possible hazard (i.e. something that might make me as a driver change speed or direction), clicked when it became a hazard and clicked if it changed in any way.

ReputationRep:
    you click when you first see the hazard [for example as you see a cyclist coming out of a side road..] then you click again as it develops [cyclist turns into the road making you swerve]

if in doubt.. click.

although don't try and just click click click because it'll time you out of that clip and you'll score zero.

when you do the test it explains exactly what you have to do - just listen to the woman whos speaking on the screen and it's not that difficult really.

on each clip there will be one hazard for you to pick up [there may well be more but you'll only be marked on one] except for one clip where there will be two.. obviously they don't tell you which.

Good luck :]

ReputationRep:
    www.google.co.uk

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.