Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, as you know it's that time of year when the old UCAS starts taking over thousands of teenage lives- my friends are all busy hacking away with their personal statements but I'm still at stage one: choosing a degree!

My AS levels are Maths, Economics, English Lit and Geography.

I (wishfully) predict An A in both Geography and Economics and I'm guessing I have around a C or B in English although this is harder to know.

Sadly I'm almost certain I've failed maths and the best I can hope for is an E.

I enjoy economics and politics related word but obviously the maths has let me down and economics alone is not a viable option anymore.
    I also really enjoy Geography- but can't help thinking this is more down to staff that subject matter.
    I'm naturally good at English (I should be able to crank it upto an A next year) and enjoy aspects of the course.

So basically, what degree's should I be considering to achieve a balance of enjoyability and earning potential? - this is an open discussion btw.

Thanks in advance, apologise for the essay.
    Trefusis.

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to do subjects that you've done at school! You could do Anthropology, Human Sciences, Journalism, Sociology...Okay I'm too tired to write more but there are a few ideas And if you're looking for something with earning potential, I have no idea but I recommend not looking for a degree with earning potential. Your main option there is Economics if you do well in Maths (and maybe take up FM) as you haven't got sciences to do like engineering, medicine or work in pharmaceuticals...I don't know what other degrees lead to high paid stuff apart from those. Have you thought about maybe Law?

ReputationRep:
    How about Human Resource Management/ Business and Economics (Combined)/ Politics with Law/ Politics/ Law

What are interested in?

As A stranger in moscow says, you don't have to do a degree based on your subject choice, well at least to a certain extent.

ReputationRep:
    I possibly should have mentioned that my ideal career would be as a university lecturer- are these jobs massively difficult to get? - at current I'm im comfortable funding myself up to master degree (although obviously this is likely to change when reality slaps me in the face!) but a PHD seems so costly :

As such I'd prefer to do a 'traditional academic subject' rather than those which are more vocational. Obviously I want to avoid anything which requires maths at entry- or a course which involves very high level maths.

I'd consider law, but (frankly to avoid the LNAT) - I would most likey do that as a conversion course anyway.

Are you serious about avoiding law simply because of the LNAT?

If you actually want to apply for law then do so. The LNAT is not that hard and even then only a handful of universities require it so it wouldn't impact all five of the universities you've applied for.

www.lnat.ac.uk

If you do want to do a conversion course then do so but bear in mind the cost.

Assuming you do a conversion course, what degree do you think you would do before that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleekchic)
    Are you serious about avoiding law simply because of the LNAT?
    That's not the only reason, I just think that law, like medicine is one of those subjects that you really have to have your heart set on- and not just do for the sake of it.

In terms of 2010 - I'm narrowing myself down to courses relating to either English, Geography or politics w/ econ. But then there's philosophy etc, which also attracts me. I just enjoy too many subjects!

As I say, the dream really is to do post grad and become a lecturer.
    Although my dreams are subject to hourly change (N)

ReputationRep:
    You could still do economics with politics if that's what you like. Some universities don't ask for maths in order to study it.

(Original post by Trefusis1234445)
    That's not the only reason, I just think that law, like medicine is one of those subjects that you really have to have your heart set on- and not just do for the sake of it.

In terms of 2010 - I'm narrowing myself down to courses relating to either English, Geography or politics w/ econ. But then there's philosophy etc, which also attracts me. I just enjoy too many subjects!

As I say, the dream really is to do post grad and become a lecturer.
    Although my dreams are subject to hourly change (N)
    Forget about the postgrad/lecturere dream for now. You haven't even decided on an undergraduate degree yet so it's very premature to be thinking about those although it's good that you already have it thought out.

You are right that law and medicine are degrees that you actually want to do but then again so are many other degrees.

Are you applying for 2010 entry?

So for now the subjects which interest you are English, Geography, Politics, Economics and Philosophy but you're finding it hard to choose between any of them?

I think you should spend some time reading around those subjects to get a "feel" of which you'd prefer. Of course it's completely up to you but it might be a good idea.

Take a look at the different forums for your chosen subjects to get more advice.

English - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=65
    Geography - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=45
    Politics - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=279
    Economics - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=34
    Philosophy - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=350

I enjoy economics and politics related word but obviously the maths has let me down and economics alone is not a viable option anymore.
    I also really enjoy Geography- but can't help thinking this is more down to staff that subject matter.
    I'm naturally good at English (I should be able to crank it upto an A next year) and enjoy aspects of the course.
    I wouldn't say the maths has let you down, at least until you do actually get your results and even then there are economics BA degrees which may interest you.

If you do enjoy politics then the maths hasn't affected you so use the politics forum for more information regarding a politics degree.

Regarding geography, if you think it's entirely down to staff as opposed to subject matter then read some books which aim to introduce you to studying geography at university and see if the course interests you.

I'm not sure being naturally good at English AS is enough grounds to pick it as a degree but that's up to you.

Aspects of the course at AS may have no relation to the course at university so take a look at some of the course outlines for English at different universities and see what interests you. You really should do this for all the degrees you're interested in.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, as you know it's that time of year when the old UCAS starts taking over thousands of teenage lives- my friends are all busy hacking away with their personal statements but I'm still at stage one: choosing a degree!

My AS levels are Maths, Economics, English Lit and Geography.

I (wishfully) predict An A in both Geography and Economics and I'm guessing I have around a C or B in English although this is harder to know.

Sadly I'm almost certain I've failed maths and the best I can hope for is an E.

So basically, what degree's should I be considering to achieve a balance of enjoyability and earning potential? - this is an open discussion btw.

Thanks in advance, apologise for the essay.
    Trefusis.
    PPE

or English

or something you've never studied before!

ReputationRep:
    Have you considered Philosophy and Politics? If you've done better at Maths than you think you have, which is always possible, you could go for PPE, even if you drop maths this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anon the 7th)
    PPE

or English

or something you've never studied before!
    PPE? Despite the almost certain AS maths failure?
    I have Grade B at gcse maths, with A in additional maths.

ReputationRep:
    PPE? Despite the almost certain AS maths failure?
    I have Grade B at gcse maths, with A in additional maths.
    yeah even with economics it shouldn't be as mathematical as a pure economics degree
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Being really indecisive and having a wide range of subjects I had the same problem as you when deciding my courses; unfortunately I messed up when filling out my UCAS chosing maths combined courses...all combined with different things depending on what was available at certain universities. My UCAS statement was flaky because I was trying to please everyone and not very representative of me as a person. I only recieved 2 out of 5 offers after this; missing out on the university which I was most interested in; and not liking one university has left me with one high offer with results day approaching...clearing seems iminent. With advice to you with hindsight is that if you make a decision make a certain decision...whatever that may be visit university faculties if possible; if you like geography but are unsure of your reasons meeting geography lecturers and learning about what you'll be doing on your course could help you, especially if you realise that the things you enjoy are incorporated into a university course (people with similar intrests might have like minds perhaps?)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.