Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm trying to figure out what to do at the gym to achieve my goals so I thought I'd post here and get some input. I'm 21, male, 6'0 and weigh quite a skinny 69kg. I'd estimate I have about 12-15% bf, can't see my abs but I have visible veins in places.

Now, I would like to bulk up but since I'm joining the RAF my cardiovascular fitness needs sorting first. So in order my goals are:

Get fit (cardio)
    Get strong
    Get bigger

I'm waiting for a vacancy for the job I want in the RAF, which apparently will be available around November, which means it will probably be next year by the time I get in. I have a gym membership and it has all the usual equipment. So far I'm thinking this:

For the rest of August: Go mad on cardio, long runs, short runs, HIIT, rowing, cycling, swimming etc. Do push/pull exercises on alternate days consisting of mostly dips, press ups, pullups and chinups. Improve my diet to make it generally healthier and try to eat a bit more so I don't lose weight.

September and November: Do either Starting Strength or Stronglifts along with moderate cardio (20mins a day??). I have 4 tubs of Boditronics Mass Attack, some MP whey and creatine ready to use for this.

November onwards: Increase the cardio a bit and start a hypertrophy orientated routine, maybe a 3 day split with chest/tris, back/bis, legs/shoulders. Possibly some German Volume Training for a couple of weeks.

Really I'd like to be 80kg with 8-10% bodyfat but realistically if this gets me into the 70's and fairly lean with good cardio fitness then I'd be happy.

Do you think this will work? Any suggestions?

Sorry for the essay :o:

Edit - Lifting stats atm are:

65kg squat - 3x5
    80kg deadlift - 3x5
    45kg bench press - 3x5 just
    32.5kg press - 3x5

ReputationRep:
    My comment is, why not do WS4SB instead of SS or 5x5? WS4SB people integrate HIIT and some cardio into it by design I believe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mipegg)
    My comment is, why not do WS4SB instead of SS or 5x5? WS4SB people integrate HIIT and some cardio into it by design I believe
    Is there a simple write up of it somewhere?, it seems quite complicated...

ReputationRep:
    Look at brotherhood's blog in the blog section. He does it! (Alternatively ask him?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by del1507)
    Is there a simple write up of it somewhere?, it seems quite complicated...
    What's complicated about it? You pick a lift from each section, done.

http://www.defrancostraining.com/art...rds-part3.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    What's complicated about it? You pick a lift from each section, done.

http://www.defrancostraining.com/art...rds-part3.html
    Got a write up of what exercises you do Brotherhood?

I'm seriously thinking of starting westside for tomorrow! Atm my training has been too stagnant, im following my own 4 day routine and its not good enough. Your gains have been amazing, so i might jump on the bandwagon haha.

Edit: Only problem would be the dynamic lower day, not sure where/how i would do or measure the jumps :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Khanage)
    Got a write up of what exercises you do Brotherhood?

I'm seriously thinking of starting westside for tomorrow! Atm my training has been too stagnant, im following my own 4 day routine and its not good enough. Your gains have been amazing, so i might jump on the bandwagon haha.
    Well at the moment

ME UPPER
    BB Bench 3-5RM
    DB Incline Bench 2x15-20
    DB/Pendlay Rows supersetted with: 3-4x8-12
    Seated DB Power Cleans 3-4x8-12
    Shrug variation 3-4x8-15
    Preacher Curls 3-4x8-15

ME LOWER
    BB Squat/Box Squat 3-5RM
    Split Squats/Lunges 2-3x8-10
    Romanian Deadlifts/GHRs 3x8-12
    Ab Circuit 2-3x10-20 per exercise

RE UPPER
    BB Bench/Weighted Push-Ups Max or 4x12
    Chins/Pull-Ups supersetted with: 3-4x8-12
    Face Pulls 3-4x8-12
    Military Press 4x8-12
    Shrug variation supersetted with: 3x8-10
    Dips 3x8-10
    Plate Pinch 2-3x2-3

DE LOWER
    Box Jumps/Broad Jumps/Vert Jumps 5-8x1-3
    Split Squats/Step-Ups 2-3x8-10
    Reverse Hypers/GHRs 3x8-12
    Weighted Abs Variation 4x10-15

I could do with mixing some things up a bit I think. I've stuck to some exercises for a bit too long (although while making progress). It's worth trying though mate, just look at some of the people that have been through his doors. For sportsmen like us I think it's an ideal routine. Lots of variation too.

ReputationRep:
    I measure jumps with tape and chalk/markers. The jumps are a massively important part, try not to leave them out. I'll just do them in my back garden if I have to.

ReputationRep:
    I measure jumps with tape and chalk/markers. The jumps are a massively important part, try not to leave them out. I'll just do them in my back garden if I have to.
    How long is your longest session?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    How long is your longest session?
    Jumps or in general? If I'm being lazy maybe an hour fifteen/twenty.

ReputationRep:
    Jumps or in general? If I'm being lazy maybe an hour fifteen/twenty.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    Do you not deadlift?

ReputationRep:
    I Romanian Deadlift. Haven't really cycled through Box Squats yet, will probably deadlift as my ME Lower once I've got everything I can out of them and then switch back to Back Squats again.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.